Checkride report

joycem137

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Robin
I took my checkride yesterday, and passed! I am now a certified PP-ASEL, ready to take to the skies with passengers and all that lovely jazz.

Here's how it went.

Prior to the checkride:

A couple weeks before my checkride, I was flying in a 172N model airplane that started having engine problems. (Exhaust valve issues) Anyways, they were slow to diagnose the issue, as its a pretty unusual problem for that plane, and my instructor and I decided, wisely, to avoid the plane for my checkride. As a result, we wound up having to switch to the nicer, but more expensive 172SP planes in our club.

Honestly, one of those two SPs is just so nice. I love it, and was hoping to do my checkride in it anyways. So it was nice to actually do it.

So we did a ton of practice leading up to it, to the point that my friends were starting to wonder what had happened to me. I was either flying or studying for my flying test, all the time. (I did my start to PPL in a little over 4 months, so I was flying and studying A LOT.)

On the night before the checkride, the DPE called me up and gave me a scenario to plan out. He wanted to have a cross country trip planned in our airplane, and in addition to him, he wanted 2 other folks to come along with 100 pounds of luggage. Being a pretty heavy person myself, I knew from the get go that this wasn’t going to work, but he wanted to see the weight and balance for the trip based on whatever decisions I made on what passengers we could bring. He also wanted a flight plan and nav logs for all of it. After doing the W&B correctly, it was clear we couldn’t bring anyone else.

While I was able to plan this out quickly in Foreflight, the requirement to do it on paper for such a long trip was pretty daunting, particularly because I was determined to have plenty of visual checkpoints along the route, as that’s how I would really fly it at this stage of the game. So things took quite a while. On top of that, my instructor and I had to do some last minute scrambling to get the airplane engine/Mx logs, as well as some last minute work from Mx to make sure everything was airworthy. (OMG, THANK YOU for staying until 9pm to make sure I was ready to go, Mx peoples!) We also had some other issues to work out with IACRA and other stuff, so I wound up being up REALLY late working on the XC. So late, in fact, that I passed out on my couch just minutes after finishing the last page of all of it around 1am. I never even made it to my bed.

The Day of the Checkride:

Woke up at 8:15am, and got to the airport around 9:20am. Preflighted, fueld up, talked about the XC and other stuff, then headed out. On our way there, we stopped in an uncontrolled airport (The same one I wound up doing my checkride in!) for some normal, short, and soft field takeoffs and landings. The day before that, I had done about 12 of these by myself, solo, so I was improved on all of them, but they all still felt off a little. Each one had a little thing wrong with it. I was certain that despite my instructor’s confidence in me, I was bound to fail. We finished up by doing some sim-instrument, straight and turning stalls, and steep turns. Then we flew to to the DPE’s airport and were done.

In many ways, what my CFI and I had done almost perfectly mimicked the checkride that was to come. Things were in a different order, and there were some extra/missing things, but for the most part, I actually wound up flying the majority of my checkride before the ride.

We landed, I saw a vending machine and grabbed an energy ar, and we sat down at the DPE’s office to wait for him to get back from another checkride.

The Checkride:

At first, we looked over the airplane logbooks, IACRA, my logbook, etc. to make sure everything was nice, happy, hunky dory, etc. Once it all looked good, we kicked my instructor out and dove into the oral.

The oral began with the DPE just basically telling me about his history. We basically just chatted about our lives and his career and stuff. It was a great way to sort of relax and just get to know one another, avoiding the awful stress that kept threatening to build up in my stomach.

With a brilliant segue, the DPE began asking questions of me directly from the PTS. I’ve studied the hell out of the Jeppsen guide, read through two different textbooks, and have been quizzed and prepped by two different CFIs for the oral. Suffice to say, I passed that with flying colors. While we were talking about how to get weather, the DPE even stopped, looked at me and said, “I can tell by your confidence and the detail in what you’re saying that you really know this stuff. With this level of knowledge, you could pass the oral for a commerical rating.” We covered a whole bunch of stuff. How to decide if a plane is airworthy if a piece of equipment is inoperative. How often I have to get reviewed to be legal to fly. How to get weather for the fake cross country. Where I got the weight of the airplane for the W&B sheets. What a few things on the charts meant. Stuff like that. I flew through it, and the DPE was very pleased. He told me that he loves to see good knowledge, because it’s just fun and fast to get through it all and get to the important part: FLYING!

So we went out to the airplane, and the DPE was amazing. He had this incredible ability to put me at ease. Particularly, he was really good at distracting me from the fact that this was an evaluation, and often commented that he “knew” that I already knew something, but that he had to see it anyways. It made me feel more confident in myself, and went a long way towards reducing my fear and anxiety.

After the preflight, I gave him a quick minimal passenger briefing to make sure he knew that I knew that legal requirements of what to tell passengers. I have a longer briefing for real non-pilot passengers, but I didn’t want to bore him with minutia. Then we taxiied to the runup, did that, and took a normal takeoff to straight out departure for my fake cross-country trip. Of course, a few minutes into the planned 4 hour trip to Palm Springs, magic imaginary thunderclouds appeared instantaneously over the entire area, blocking our flight and forcing us to divert.

We then went into the various maneuvers. Steep turns. Power on and off stalls, turning and straight. emergency descents. Slow flight. Sim engine out (all the way down to where we started to put down flaps!). and so on. Before each maneuver, I made sure to very carefully stabilize the airplane and think about what I needed to do to accomplish the task. I didn’t even start doing clearing turns or pre-maneuver checks until I had the whole thing in my head, the plane was stabilized, and I felt clear headed and calm. I think it really helped.

After doing our sim engine out, I had to navigate VFR to the uncontrolled airport and we did some performance landings. My first short-field landing was amazing. Like seriously, it was the best one I have ever done, and it even surprised the DPE. I think he later said that it was one of the best short-field landings he’s ever seen in a checkride. Which blows my mind, too. I have NO idea where that came from. I just nailed it. Then we did soft-field takeoff and landing, which he was happy with. Then a short-field takeoff over an imaginary obstacle. (He told me when were were over the obstacle) He told me that we were going to go back around to do a forward slip to landing, but as we were climbing to TPA on upwind, he suddenly pulled the engine.

Seriously? I nearly had a heart attack over that. We’re below TPA, very very low, and he’s pulled my engine for a *second* sim engine out. The thing that was going through my head was that if we don’t get that engine back when we do our go-around, this “sim” engine out is going to become very very real. I wasn't thinking of this as a simulation, but as a potentially real threat that had the potential to hurt me, so I was very very keen on doing everything right, not just for the checkride, but also in case it became real. I waited anxiously for the DPE to give me the okay to go around. I was very relieved when I finally was able to do so, but I was rattled for the rest of the checkride.

Luckily, there wasn’t much left. We did a slip to landing, then headed back to the airport. And based on how everything went and how *I* felt about things, as well what clues I picked up from the DPE, I figured I had passed the test so far. I was trying to fight a grin as I reminded myself several times that I wasn’t done yet. I still had to do the final landing back at his home airport and taxi to parking safely without screwing anything up.

But once we *were* on the ground, safe, etc. and everything was finished up, the DPE turned to me and said, “Well, you did very well on the maneuvers that I saw today, and it was all within the guidelines of the PTS, and based on what I saw during the oral earlier, I have to say that you definitely deserve your private pilot certificate. Congratulations!”

Then we went in, printed out my temporary private pilot certificate, shook hands all around, and flew home for my first flight as a private pilot. :)

Now to look forward to my first flight with real passengers! ACK! :)

Congratulations!! Sounds like you worked very hard on it and did very well.

Congrats!!!! Sounds like you were extremely well prepared....Now go out and have some fun :)

OMG, yes. I've been burying myself in this over the past few weeks, especially. It's been nuts. But I wanted to get this done and do well. I'm REALLY looking forward to having fun with it, because I've been so down to business over it all. :)

Sounds like a near-perfect checkride. Congrats.

How on earth did you get away with no hood work?

You're southbound from STS and divert to a "nearby uncontrolled airport." Petaluma, perhaps? That airport is fairly easy, unless there are a swarm of other planes in the pattern all doing tailwind landings (and that happens more often than you might think). I had to deal with that Saturday.

As for that W&B thing... You planned to KPSP in the summer with four adults. IRL, this was a serious no-go in a 172, even if you got under max gross. Density altitude, mountain turbulence, and excessive heat are all factors.

Sounds like a near-perfect checkride. Congrats.
Thanks! There were a couple blips/mistakes here and there, but nothing to fail me.

How on earth did you get away with no hood work?

I didn't list everything we did because we ran through it so fast and I don't recall all the details. I missed some of it in my report. Don't consider this a comprehensive list. :)

As for that W&B thing... You planned to KPSP in the summer with four adults. IRL, this was a serious no-go in a 172, even if you got under max gross. Density altitude, mountain turbulence, and excessive heat are all factors.

The flight plan to KPSP for 4 adults in a 172 was basically that two of them are driving. :lol:

As I said above: "After doing the W&B correctly, it was clear we couldn’t bring anyone else." The "anyone else" was anyone besides me and the DPE. His "imaginary friends" definitely couldn't come along. :p

Last edited:
Huge congrats! I enjoyed the summary.

The flight plan to KPSP for 4 adults in a 172 was basically that two of them are driving. :lol:

Those SPs are heavy aircraft. 53G can handle four 200 lb adults plus full fuel. Not that I'd want to fly over the mountains like that.

Well congratulations, Joyce. Good job and good report! Keep flying and keep having fun.

Those SPs are heavy aircraft. 53G can handle four 200 lb adults plus full fuel. Not that I'd want to fly over the mountains like that.

I'm not even planning to go anywhere near mountains until I've had am mountain checkout. Current plan is to just enjoy flying for a month or so without any training, and then doing Aspen (required to rent one of our 172s), 182, high performance, and mountain flying checkouts starting in late august/early september.

I'll obviously do the weight calculations and stuff to be sure for myself, but from your perspective, what's the thinking you're applying to this? Just basically not wanting to fly near gross over mountains and stuff? I'm looking to collect as many easy-to-remember rules of thumb as I can to stay as safe as possible.

Last edited:
Well congratulations, Joyce. Good job and good report! Keep flying and keep having fun.

Training's been fun, but I have to say that the real fun is only just beginning. My favorite flying so far have been cross country trips flying around the area, over the mountains, etc. I just like sight-seeing, and with all the focus on training, I haven't had as much opportunity to do that.

Thanks!

I'll obviously do the weight calculations and stuff to be sure for myself, but from your perspective, what's the thinking you're applying to this? Just basically not wanting to fly near gross over mountains and stuff? I'm looking to collect as many easy-to-remember rules of thumb as I can to stay as safe as possible.

For high density altitude airport operations many folks consider the operational max weight to be 90% of the POH max gross weight.

Other quick "rules" are:
stay out of the hills unless you have 30/30 (30 miles vis and winds less than 30 knots)

In the summer be outta the hills (or on the ground) by 1 pm and no afternoon departures until after 4 pm (this is Colorado Rockies rule, dunno how it should be changed for other locations but stay on the ground when afternoon convection is likely)

Clear a pass by at least 1,000 ft and be at least 1,000 ft below clouds

don't fly under dark clouds

In the summer be outta the hills (or on the ground) by 1 pm and no afternoon departures until after 4 pm (this is Colorado Rockies rule, dunno how it should be changed for other locations but stay on the ground when afternoon convection is likely)

Out here in the San Francisco Bay Area, we don't have much in the way of storms. Even the winds don't seem to get too too bad in the afternoons most days.

don't fly under dark clouds

Because that means storms, high winds, bad juju, etc.?

Congrats!! Sounds like you nailed that checkride. Have fun, and be safe!

Out here in the San Francisco Bay Area, we don't have much in the way of storms. Even the winds don't seem to get too too bad in the afternoons most days.
The issue is density altitude. That's the hottest part of the day. It's also the most likely for thunderstorms (see below), and turbulence starts to risk your fillings and your passengers' lunches. Check the climb tables, using density altitude in place of pressure altitude, at the highest terrain you're planning on passing, and you'll see that you run out of climb real fast at high altitudes. Regionally, it's a marginal issue around Lake Tahoe (as long as you don't try to top Squaw Peak), and it's a much more significant issue further south, due to the higher terrain. You can't make it over Tioga Pass in a 172 on a hot summer day without risking scraping the wheels on passing pine trees.

There are several rules of thumb about terrain clearance. The one I was taught was 1000 feet in no wind, plus another 1000 for every 10 knots total wind. Wind in the passes can be substantially stronger than wind down low. When the wind blows hard, it's not hard to find downdrafts you can't outclimb at the reduced high altitude performance. But crossings tend to be very fast -- just a few minutes in the Sierra -- between your last potential turnaround and topping a pass. But at 2000 FPM, a few minutes can be a lot of altitude.

And the mountain weather is quite different from that around the Bay.

The "mountain checkouts" offered locally are very expensive, but useful. They aren't absolutely necessary, but some direct instruction in canyon and pass flying and high density altitude takeoffs and landings is essential. You can get a good head start by reading Sparky Imeson's book, but be aware that he died flying in the mountains. You can get the costs down significantly by taking a checkout course from a mountain or near-mountain location. It's not necessary to land at five different Sierra airports like some of the local guys like to do.

Over mountains, thunderstorms. Even in summer over the Sierra when it's clear down below.

Last edited:
Awesome! Congrats! and thanks for sharing. I'm nervous as heck thinking about doing mine in the next month hopefully.

I don't know the weather patterns in California at all so my comments are mostly directed toward mountain (hills, tall hills, 10,000 MSL +). Watch it when the winds around the pass and peaks altitudes are forecast to be high, greater than 30 kts.

Yup, dark clouds are storms. Don't fly under or into said clouds and your chances of completing the flight with a soft landing are much greater...

Congratulations from a new student! I really enjoy these write ups, so thank you for adding yours.

. We’re below TPA, very very low, and he’s pulled my engine for a *second* sim engine out.

Just out of curiosity, where you still climbing away from the airport when he pulled the power or had you already started your X-wind turn ?

How did you handle it ? trim for best glide and no steep turns and look for somewhere to land ? or had you been taught a different way.

I've got all this to look forward to pretty soon.

Just out of curiosity, where you still climbing away from the airport when he pulled the power or had you already started your X-wind turn ?

How did you handle it ? trim for best glide and no steep turns and look for somewhere to land ? or had you been taught a different way.

I've got all this to look forward to pretty soon.

Amidst the pounding of my heart, I trimmed for best glide and looked straight ahead for a place to land. Turning back to the runway would be suicide with an engine failure on takeoff.

Congrats, awesome job sharing the experience. It's now time enjoy the benefits of your accomplishment. Welcome the our club and fly safe.

Amidst the pounding of my heart, I trimmed for best glide and looked straight ahead for a place to land. Turning back to the runway would be suicide with an engine failure on takeoff.

Great job. I hope that would be my reaction as well. Great job and congrats

Congratulations! I enjoyed reading your report, and hope it might help me when my time comes, too.

Take only one passenger for your first couple of flying adventures and keep them short.
Also, have you ever flown the airplane at gross?
If not, get your instructor and another person to go out with you for a few TO&L at or near GW. If you have not done this you will find you are flying a different airplane.
Other than that - welcome aboard.

Take only one passenger for your first couple of flying adventures and keep them short.
Also, have you ever flown the airplane at gross?
If not, get your instructor and another person to go out with you for a few TO&L at or near GW. If you have not done this you will find you are flying a different airplane.
Other than that - welcome aboard.

For my first few trips, I'm recreating trips I did in training with a friend of mine who wants to become a pilot some day.

I've flown the plane at gross before, and with 3 people. We've done a few "group" training session-type-things.

Good advice!

Congratulations! Also, I totally used your post as inspiration for my checkride report :)

Congrats. I had my former CFI who is a DPE pull the same sim engine failure at about 600 feet AGL on a climb out. This was after 2 other simulated failures in the same session. I thought i was the only one who had the misfortune to rent a plane with sp much imaginary engine problems. What is it with these guys?

I had my CFI do three sim engine failures in one session... the last one at just 400' or so over open desert after t/o.

What are you going to do?

I'm going to talk to the mechanic who signed off on this engine. :)

Nice write-up, and congratulations. Be safe while you explore flight further.

Back