Checkride Recap

Triggerhappyjack

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
TriggerHappyJack
I wish I could remember more but I was so nervous the day flew by....

I was scheduled to start my checkride at 0830 at LZU. I left the house early and stopped by Dunkin Doughnuts for a dozen mixed (no glazed). I arrived at the school around 0745 and prepared my test area, drank coffee and BS with the instructors. My DPE arrived around 0845 and immediately got down to business (no doughnuts). The oral was not to bad but I had studied a lot. I do remember him asking the following;
- Review all maint documents
- what medical cert do you have? How long is it good for?
- Describe/treat hypoxia, hyperventilation, air sickness
- when is carbon monoxide poison a threat?
- questions on every airspace
- went over CC route and asked questions
- show how I found cruise performance, min takeoff, min landing
- all of the PTS special emphasis areas
- weather (read TAF, METAR, Prog chart, Radar chart, etc..)
- read winds aloft
- he would show a pic of an airport sign and I had to define
- describe lost com procedures and light signals
- describe the engine, fuel system and electrical system of my plane
- what are some of the hazards of night flying
- minimum VFR day and night equipment requirements

I know there was more but I cant remember specifics. He was no nonsense and asked another question as soon as I answered. No small talk. Following the oral he had me check the weather (it was horrible BKN at 2500 and 12G15 winds). He said we could do it so I read him a flight plan and went out to preflight. He watched but never asked a question.

We started with a soft field takeoff and flew two of my checkpoints. After doing the calculations at each he diverted me and on goes the hood. I did unusual attitudes, turns climbs, descents and flew to a VOR. Off came the hood and we did steep turns, slow flight an stalls. He then diverted me to another airport and we did soft field landing and short field takeoff and landing. We then did an emergency landing and a go around. Once complete it was fly back to the home field and a normal landing. Overall I felt like I flew pretty good but I do think the high winds helped with the DPE giving me a little more latitude for error.

I am sure there was more I am missing so if anyone has a specific question please send me a message. Next stop, instrument training! Thanks to all for the advice and help.

RLTW!

Thanks for the recap. I am preparing for my checkride in a month or two so this helps with points to concentrate on.

-Brian

Back