Checkride Prep

JB1842

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Josh
I'm getting close to my SP checkride. Are there any good checkride oral/PTS prep guides out there? I've seen a few online, and I'm sure I'll see some at OSH this weekend. With work and school, I would like something easy to read or watch instead of having to flip through hundreds of pages of the FAR/AIM and the FAA published PTS.

I'm getting close to my SP checkride. Are there any good checkride oral/PTS prep guides out there? I've seen a few online, and I'm sure I'll see some at OSH this weekend. With work and school, I would like something easy to read or watch instead of having to flip through hundreds of pages of the FAR/AIM and the FAA published PTS.

http://www.airportpilotshop.com/Ora...-OEG-P10.htm?gclid=CKGMhbnYtbECFRGEhwodbkYAlw

I don't know how different the sport pilot exam and private pilot exam are but this is about as good as it gets for the private. A simple question and answer type format makes it very easy to understand.

Thanks. I'm sure there is more info to learn for the private than the sport. I don't want to get too overwhelmed by info and screw up something simple because of it.

Thanks. I'm sure there is more info to learn for the private than the sport. I don't want to get too overwhelmed by info and screw up something simple because of it.

Not to worry. I did have the 2008 version of this book so it may have changed, but I imagine they just build on it every year. It is great for someone who has trouble grasping different aspects of weather, aircraft systems, etc. (me) The author explains things in a way that gives you a good background knowledge but doesn't overwhelm you.

There's a video out there on youtube that shows a whole Private Pilot oral (I think). I haven't watched the whole thing, so I guarantee nothing. It could be a good way to spend an hour and a half, though. Not sure.

I had the Gleim Sport Pilot book that was pretty good. It gave a whole bunch of sample oral questions on the left side of the page and a thorough answer on the right side of the page. Of course, the examiner could very well ask something that's not in there, but it helps.

I'm very weak on weather. I just may get this one. I plan on upgrading to private in the future, so I might as well just spend the money on the guide now.

I watched that entire oral before mine, it helped a tad but also built confidence when I answered all the questions correctly.

While there's a lot of good material in those "Oral Prep" books, the FAA guidance on practical tests no longer calls for those simple Q&A methods, but rather goes for "situationally based testing." For example, instead of asking you what the VFR weather mins are in Class E airspace, the examiner may ask you whether or not today's weather is good enough to make your planned XC flight under VFR, and how you came to that determination. This will test, in a more realistic manner, not only your rote knowledge of 91.155, but also your ability to apply that knowledge to a practical situation, not to mention your ability to read and interpret all the available weather data, as well as determining from the sectional what airspace you'll be in so you know which paragraph of 91.155 applies along each part of your route. Those old-style Q&A books can't prepare you for that -- only a good instructor familiar with the concept of situationally based testing can.

While there's a lot of good material in those "Oral Prep" books, the FAA guidance on practical tests no longer calls for those simple Q&A methods, but rather goes for "situationally based testing." For example, instead of asking you what the VFR weather mins are in Class E airspace, the examiner may ask you whether or not today's weather is good enough to make your planned XC flight under VFR, and how you came to that determination. This will test, in a more realistic manner, not only your rote knowledge of 91.155, but also your ability to apply that knowledge to a practical situation, not to mention your ability to read and interpret all the available weather data, as well as determining from the sectional what airspace you'll be in so you know which paragraph of 91.155 applies along each part of your route. Those old-style Q&A books can't prepare you for that -- only a good instructor familiar with the concept of situationally based testing can.

I like this a lot better than a Q&A. And to Old Geek, thanks for the tip. I saw the link to the youtube video sometime in the past, so I'll try to find that, too. I'm glad I'm learning in a Cub. Don't have to worry about forgetting flaps or stuff like that.

Back