Checkride Prep Question for CFIs & DPEs

skyflyer8

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skyflyr
I have been tasked with endorsing a sport pilot student for his practical test because his instructor will also be the designated examiner for the checkride. I can't find where it says so, but I understand that an examiner can't sign off their own student.

Question is, in this situation, do all three of the required checkride prep hours (3 within 60 days) need to be with me before I can sign the student off, or can it be a combination of some time with me and some time with the other instructor (the examiner)?

I ask because I've been told one thing by one examiner and one thing by another examiner. Looking at the wording of the regs, to me they seem to mean the three hours can be with more than one person. The endorsement uses the passive language of "has received" rather than "I have given..."

Related info:

61.39(a)(6) requires an applicant for a practical test to have received an endorsement from an authorized instructor certifying that the applicant has received training within 60 days prior to the test, is prepared for the test, and has demonstrated knowledge in the subject areas that were deficient on the knowledge test.

61.313(a)(1)(iv) of the sport pilot regs requires an applicant to have received three hours of checkride prep within 60 days prior to the test.

AC 61-65E provides a sample endorsement to sign off a sport pilot student for the checkride:
Taking sport pilot practical test: section 61.309, section 61.311, and section 61.313.
I certify that (First name, MI, Last name) has received the training required in accordance with section 61.309 and section 61.311 and met the aeronautical experience requirements of section 61.313. I have determined that he/she is prepared for the (type of practical test).
/s/ [date] J. J. Jones 987654321CFI Exp. 12-31-05

By direct interpretation, I'd say no. But, for the sake of your own ticket I'd still require the three hours.

The DE handbook probably gives some guidance on what is required when the student is the DE's. I would just ask the DE that is giving the checkride

The DE handbook probably gives some guidance on what is required when the student is the DE's. I would just ask the DE that is giving the checkride

That is what I'd think too except I have heard two different things from two different examiners.

examiners are like CFIs. ask two of them the same answer and get different questions :)

examiners are like CFIs. ask two of them the same answer and get different questions :)

Technically, examiners ARE CFIs, aren't they? ;)

The answer is no -- you need only fly/quiz enough to assure yourself that the applicant is prepared to pass the practical test, i.e., the second sentence of the certification. Certification of the 61.309/311/313 requirements in the first sentence is done by inspection of the applicant's log book (and make darn sure the 61.309 knowledge training is logged and includes all the items listed, or there is a home study course outline that does the same). The rest of the three hours (if there is any "rest") may be flown with another instructor.

That is what I'd think too except I have heard two different things from two different examiners.

The General Aviation Operations Inspector's Handbook is available online. Go to www.faa.gov as the first step...

Bob Gardner

Back