Checkride Passed!

numl0ck

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Steve
I passed my checkride yesterday!

My original date was schedule for Oct 28th, but I guess they don’t like to fly the day before a hurricane arrives, so we rescheduled for Nov 2nd.

I arrived at the airport at 9am to meet up with my instructor and do a quick brush-up flight since we hadn’t flown in about a week due to the storm. Started off with landing practice and nailed it. Some of the smoothest landings I have made throughout all of my training. Then we headed out a bit for turns and stalls, all of which I executed fine. A few quick minutes under the hood, and all went well. We headed back to the airport for lunch before departing to North Central Airport (SFZ). All in all, a great confidence boost right before the test.

I departed WST solo an hour before my scheduled start time and had a bumpy flight with light rain showers on the way to SFZ. Arrived without incident, but I noticed it was much more turbulent than when I departed Westerly. Not what I wanted, but I knew the examiner would be a bit more forgiving since it was bumpy. METAR for test start time: KSFZ 021635Z 27010KT 240V300 10SM FEW046 BKN049. The one following that was 8G15 – yay.

We both arrived at the same time and started the checkride about 20 minutes early.

He gave me a synopsis of how the day would go: oral first, then flying. Oral would have special emphasis on certain things, runway incursion, airspace and ADs. And the flight would consist of nothing that wasn’t in the PTS. He would try to put together scenarios at certain times both during the oral and flying portions to get the information he needed out of me.

With that, we started. Let me say I was very nervous about the oral part. The things I read on here had me concerned that I was going to need to dig through the FAR for some obscure rule that I would be asked about. After about 10 minutes I realized that he’s not asking me anything that I didn’t already know from studying for the written test. Advice for future test applicants: if you passed the written, the oral portion will be just like that – just more conversational (although in my case the examiner did 80% of the talking).

He looked over my logbook, airplane logs, W&B and CG, then we looked over my cross country plans. He built a few scenarios around that to discuss airspace (and daytime cloud clearances needed), towers, restricted airspace, etc. We talked about how the weather today wouldn’t work for my planned altitude. He pointed to a random airport and said “Just looking at the sectional, tell me everything you can about this airport.” Then things like “why is this airport blue and that one purple?”, “What’s the ceiling of XYZ’s airspace?” Easy enough. After that we talked about the plane a bit, most of the Vspeeds and explained what they mean and when they are used. Fuel and planned fuel for my XC. He had a few questions about ADs (Who’s responsible for doing the work, who issues them…). That was about it, 45 minutes of “aviation conversation” and I went out to preflight.

Feeling pretty good from the oral, I answered two questions about the outside of the plane: identify the pitot tube and static port, followed by what instruments are affected if one or the other fails.

He wanted to start with a short field take off and landing (ok, get the hardest part of the test out of the way first). Takeoff was uneventful, but my landing was completely messed up - too fast and too steep so I executed a go-around (may as well check that one off the list). My second attempt wasn’t much better but managed to wrestle the plane down within an acceptable distance of his mark. But still not anywhere near my real ability. I’m starting to wonder at this point what’s going to happen next. We taxi back to runway 33 and he says, “I want to see a nice crosswind takeoff and a normal crosswind landing.” (Thinking to myself he’s testing my ability to handle the plane smoothly after two mediocre approaches.) I was a bit rattled at this point because I knew I could do better and I tried to refocus, but I ended up flying 150 above pattern altitude before I caught it, but then acknowledged it and quickly corrected it. Made a decent landing, and he said to taxi back again.

We started the XC and flew for a bit, but less than 10 minutes. He asked where we were and I showed him my iPad with the blue plane tracking over the purple line. He made a comment “It’s hard to get lost with two GPSs in the plane isn’t it?” (The plane also had a G430).

On to maneuvers: first was a steep turn to the right, which I used all of the 100ft allotted to me. He mentioned that I nearly exceeded the standard and asked for one to the left. That was much better and I think my altitude only varied by about 30ft. Then a power-on stall. Since this was a 180hp C172 he had me pull the throttle to 2100rpm and recover at the buffet (as to not exceed the pitch attitude given by the FAA). Next was hood work. Straight and level, a decent of 1500ft while taking a new heading and tuning in a VOR and turning to it and one unusual attitude. Slow flight was easy, had me to a 90° turn. Followed by just pulling the throttle and doing a power-off stall to the break. Recovered with no issues.

He chopped the power, although since my hand was on the throttle he had to ask me to remove it (no surprise power reduction). Ran through my emergency procedure with (surprise!) no luck of restoring power. The field I chose was next to a neighborhood that has been known to call 911 if they see a plane with no power overhead, so we didn’t continue much below 1000ft. Power restored, we climbed up to 2500ft and then we discussed emergency descents in case of fire. I executed a full slip back down to 1000ft. He said that was good, and take him back to SFZ.

Climbed back up to 2500ft and he put together scenario about the flaps circuit breaker popping. He asked “Should you reset it in flight?” “No.” “Do you need them to land?” “No.” “Ok, enter the pattern and execute a no-flaps landing.” My speed was a little high, so I floated longer than I should have, but once down he said to taxi back to parking. :D

He critiqued me on my altitude discipline, which normally is not an issue. I attribute that to nerves. He said that when I was too fast, I was very good at letting the speed bleed off, and not forcing the plane to land when it didn’t want to. He didn’t comment on the early landings, but I know they were poor but within the standards. Again, nerves.

Paperwork took about 5 minutes, and I walked out with my Temp Cert!

Best advice I can give anyone going for a checkride is READ Capt Ron Levy’s advice. The points that really hit home with me are if he doesn’t ask you to repeat a maneuver, you passed. Admit when you don’t know something (this happened twice during the oral, and he asked several other questions to get the answer he was looking for), and admit when you screw up. When I flew 150ft over TPA I though I was done, but I acknowledged and fixed it right away - he didn’t say a word about it.

Congrats! I like reading posts like yours because I know they will help put me at ease when I finally go for my checkride....which is still a ways off since I haven't even started any training yet...

Congratulations, Steve! Have a great time using that ticket :)

Congratulations. Great accomplishment. Enjoy it.

Congrats! Let me guess, Ray Collins. I passed my checkride with him last April at 1B9. He's tough but very fair, and he has a way of keeping you relaxed the entire time.

Great work, and nice job on the write up. It's a good feeling when you get the temporary airmen slip. Enjoy the new freedom and flying all over the northeast. I've been flying in the area for over a year now and I'm still in awe of the beauty of this area each time I fly. Congrats

Great work, and nice job on the write up. It's a good feeling when you get the temporary airmen slip. Enjoy the new freedom and flying all over the northeast. I've been flying in the area for over a year now and I'm still in awe of the beauty of this area each time I fly. Congrats

Yes, and we are very lucky to have Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, and Block Island all short hops away. It really makes you appreciate being a pilot when it becomes a non-issue to go to these places and it would otherwise involve long drives and ferry rides. I love calling up a couple of friends and saying, "Hey, wanna grab lunch on the Vineyard?" lol.

So true Masspilot. I'm yet to visit any of those places but definitely on my list. I've mostly been cruising the north shore of Long Island up to CT and RI. The Island makes navigation pretty easy, it's like a highway pointing in the east/west direction!

Anyway don't want to drift the thread away from the original poster, so Steve, where do you plan on flying to on your first XC as a private pilot?

Last edited:
Congratulations!

I was surprised you took the iPad with you. Nice that he let you use it.

David

Congratulations on the "license to learn"! :cheers:

Keep learning and fly safe... :yes:

Me too! My 496 died the moment the examiner got in the plane...funny how that happens, isn't it?

LOL my examiner told me to "Navigate to VOR any way you wish" and VOR was like 5 miles away, showing up nicely on 496

Last edited:
Congrats! Let me guess, Ray Collins. I passed my checkride with him last April at 1B9. He's tough but very fair, and he has a way of keeping you relaxed the entire time.
Yup, it was him. Nice guy, only smiled twice the whole time. I would take a future checkride from him without an issue.

Yes, and we are very lucky to have Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, and Block Island all short hops away. It really makes you appreciate being a pilot when it becomes a non-issue to go to these places and it would otherwise involve long drives and ferry rides. I love calling up a couple of friends and saying, "Hey, wanna grab lunch on the Vineyard?" lol.
We are very lucky to have those destinations so close to us. One of my XC's was to the Vineyard - although I didn't stop for food.

JSPilot: My first XC will probably be to Brookhaven (HWV) to visit my sister. I plan on doing that trip pretty regularly since the ferry takes so much longer and costs about the same as flying.

Congratulations!

I was surprised you took the iPad with you. Nice that he let you use it.

David
My CFI asked ahead of time if the iPad was a valid navigation tool for a checkride and the DPE said it was, so it came along. We did most of the sectional questions using it while on the ground. Only twice did I need the paper chart. I wasn't sure if he would accept the iPad as "this is where I am" so I had the paper ready, but didn't need it. He did comment that he's seeing more and more applicants these days with "iPad-like devices."

Thanks everyone for the congrats. I think it's finally starting to set in. I plan on going to the airport today with my wife for a short flight. She has been a real trooper through all of this and has encouraged me the whole way. She is very excited to join me for the first time. :D

Nice- I've never flown to Brookhaven, flown over it though many times. I fly out of KISP( MacArthur Airport), and I'd reccomend a stop there over Brookhaven. I think Brookhaven has a landing fee and KISP does not. Just a thought, either way you'll certainly enjoy the trip over from CT or RI. The east end of Long Island is spectacular from above.

Nice- I've never flown to Brookhaven, flown over it though many times. I fly out of KISP( MacArthur Airport), and I'd reccomend a stop there over Brookhaven. I think Brookhaven has a landing fee and KISP does not. Just a thought, either way you'll certainly enjoy the trip over from CT or RI. The east end of Long Island is spectacular from above.

JSPilot: My first XC will probably be to Brookhaven (HWV) to visit my sister. I plan on doing that trip pretty regularly since the ferry takes so much longer and costs about the same as flying.

Congrats!

I love Long Island! (except the prices:mad:)

KISP is nice, I've only done T&Gs there. Brookhaven is a nice little field. I did my TW training there this summer. That was quite a drive from Valley Stream but it was worth it.

I have to get back out there. I miss that beautiful Super Decathlon :)

Last edited:
Congratulations Steven!

It's a great feeling to be a licensed pilot - you are among the few.

Have fun with it and never stop learning!

Interesting that ISP doesn't have a landing fee where HWV does. I'll have to look into that. Which FBO do you recommend? I haven't delt too much with class Charlie airspace (aside from transitioning through PVD) but there's a first time for everything. Thanks for the tip.

Congrats, and thanks for the write up!

Interesting that ISP doesn't have a landing fee where HWV does. I'll have to look into that. Which FBO do you recommend? I haven't delt too much with class Charlie airspace (aside from transitioning through PVD) but there's a first time for everything. Thanks for the tip.

I don't have any experience with FBO's as I only ever park from where I rent, the flight school I trained at. Most transient planes use Mid Island as its the least expensive fuel rate. I think some FBO's are expensive in terms of gas rates but again not too sure.

The class C is really no big deal. Just ask for flight following after you take off and ATC will hand you off to the appropriate controllers. If you'd rather fly without flight following, not sure why you would but who knows, just dial up 118.0 around the Calverton VOR( outside the class charlie ring of course) get the ATIS at Islip, state your position and state your intentions to land at Islip. As long as they respond, which they will you are all set. They will switch you to tower and everything. Landing at Islip is cool too because you can get mixed in with the commercial traffic. It's pretty awesome to be approaching the airport with a Southwest 737 at the hold short line waiting to takeoff. Just get off the runway at the first exit to make everyone happy!:D

Last edited:
Steve,

CONGRATS!! I always enjoy reading the post checkride write-up, good memories, fun stuff. Now, spread your wings and keep on learning!

Back