checkride nightmare

Yeah, wow, that's crazy bull****. Nothing about this is okay. Obviously nothing you can do now but I'd definitely make a formal complaint into the FAA. At least make sure that the FAA doesn't think this was okay with you. Heh, if it was me I'd probably bill them for my time as well and come up with a "newly enforced" club rule that prohibits "passengers" on training flights. :p

Best of luck on your next ride, hopefully this can be considered a free practice run.

thank you, i called, complained, and got a new DPE with no interference. I am pretty confident now i already passed 1 Oral and wrote down the questions i got wrong.

Is there some FAR I have missed that requires a four-seat airplane for a checkride? Find another flight school that will rent you a 152, and show up in that for your checkride.

If the FAA wants to bloat the costs of your checkride to conduct a check on the DPE, it ought to pick up the tab. But beyond that, it's not fair to any student to introduce extraordinary stress for both the examinee and the examiner. Talk about failing the FAA's I'M SAFE checklist!

lol this cracked me up

Doesn't the POH for 172s and Cherokees specify the back seat has to be empty for stalls/steep turns/etc?
Not any 172 or Cherokee I've ever seen. But odds are it will be out of cg or over max gross with four adults aboard. That pretty much precludes the FAA putting two Inspectors in the plane along with the applicant and DPE.

Normal part of the process. Go back and finish up. If you are not confident that you can pass with the FAA watching, you need more training before the check ride.
I'm not sure that's what he's worried about.

I'd be worried if the FAA was coming out again and most likely looking for something to fail me on, regardless of how well I did the first time.

I'm not sure that's what he's worried about.

I'd be worried if the FAA was coming out again and most likely looking for something to fail me on, regardless of how well I did the first time.

Then what is his complaint and why did he run to another DPE to avoid having the FAA present again?

Is there some FAR I have missed that requires a four-seat airplane for a checkride? Find another flight school that will rent you a 152, and show up in that for your checkride.

I never used anything BUT a 152 during training ....

Not any 172 or Cherokee I've ever seen. But odds are it will be out of cg or over max gross with four adults aboard. That pretty much precludes the FAA putting two Inspectors in the plane along with the applicant and DPE.

As a student attempting to take the practical, I'd hate to be adjusting to new CG and weight changes during the test ...

Then what is his complaint and why did he run to another DPE to avoid having the FAA present again?

A few thoughts, In my view it is not his responsibility to pay for a checkride for the DPE. Apparently at least according to the FAA on the oral the DPE had not done a satisfactory job and simply because the DPE didn't do his job the FAA forced the issue and he gave the guy a discontinuance.

It was not because he didn't know the material but simply because the DPE failed to ask questions the FAA thought he should. That isn't fair to him had he been asked he may have answered them correctly. So why would you want to stay with a DPE that could cause you further problems? :dunno:

your absolutely right, i plan on being a pilot for a living so i will do no such thing, i just think your first checkride should not be with three guys from the FAA i guess its just bad luck

Since you plan on doing this for a living, know that professional aviation is very small and the less people you tick off, the better off you'll be. Sounds like your thinking is on the right track.

As a student attempting to take the practical, I'd hate to be adjusting to new CG and weight changes during the test ...
I agree, which is one reason why, as an instructor, I'd hate to sign someone off for the test in a 172 without my trainee ever having flown the plane with people in the back.

What plane are you training in that would hold 4 adults? Be sure to do an accurate weight and balance and have the plane full of fuel, odds are you'll leave one on the ramp lol.

And fill the baggage with survival gear, tent, axe, PFDs, ect. You'll be down to one in no time.

Back