Checkride Horror Stories

After handling things the wrong way more than once, I've come to the conclusion that part of my responsibility as the sole crewmember on an aircraft is to handle passenger concerns. From that point of view, once he made it clear that he wanted to discuss it NOW, it might have been best to take off the hood, start a climb, and tell ATC that you were abandoning the approach to deal with a passenger comfort issue.
To be honest, it never crossed my mind at that point that he was being a real honest to god scared passenger. He was acting very officious and DPE-ish and insisting that what he was doing he was well within his rights to do as a DPE. I really thought he was just being ornery and going out of his way to make trouble for me. You're right, with a scared passenger (or safety pilot), that would have been a better way to handle it.

Live and learn I guess... thanks for the feedback.

In the end it's not difficult to see who will prevail. The best advice? Do your homework on who you select as the DPE to take your ride from.

Isn't "DPE shopping" one of the problems the vetting and monitoring are trying to prevent?

Just asking. It seems like revocation of a DPE is a nightmare for the FSDO and pilots alike, judging by the mess it created a couple of years ago in Vegas.

The person I knew who got a letter that their DPE was canned and they had to either pass a 44709 ride or get another rating, just got another rating which was better for him and his aeronautical knowledge anyway.

They do care because it causes local problems when you have a DPE that gives minimum check rides and another DPE that is booked out months in advance.

While DPE's are vetted through the National Selection Board and the local FSDO, we all know that some people can "play the game" until they get that designation in their pocket (Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde).

Because of a few cases where the FAA lifted designations the lawyers appeared and protracted fights for their client to retain his "privilege" ensued. Now it's almost impossible to lift a designation even if you know the guy (gal) is a dip****.

You already answered. Sorry. Wasn't that far down when I asked.

This did NOT happen to me...thank god...but to a good friend.

My friend is getting ready for his ride and he is told by the CFI to be sure to show up in shirt and tie, as this DPE has a well-earned reputation for failing everyone who doesn't dress sharp enough for the ride
for both my PPL checkride and instrumet checkride i wore something nice. a button down and nice slacks. i want to show the DPE that i look professional. for my instrument checkride my DPE showed up in a hawaiian flower shirt, flip flops, and cargo shorts. boy did i feel out of place!

for both my PPL checkride and instrumet checkride i wore something nice. a button down and nice slacks. i want to show the DPE that i look professional. for my instrument checkride my DPE showed up in a hawaiian flower shirt, flip flops, and cargo shorts. boy did i feel out of place!

Sounds like Frank at KISP. Hes outstanding, one of the few DPE's that's worthy of the title. Not only is he a great guy but a walking history book. He should write a book.

Sounds like Frank at KISP. Hes outstanding, one of the few DPE's that's worthy of the title. Not only is he a great guy but a walking history book. He should write a book.
yes it was frank! seems like he really enjoys his job. his artwork in my logbook is also fantastic

My DPE for my Multi-private was a real turd. She discontinued the first attempt due to 'chips' in the windshield and we had to burn the fouling off the plugs to get it to pass a mag check (at that time the school had never heard of leaning on the ground so plugs were perpetually fouled). A 1981 Duchess that had lived a hard life, imagine that, the windshield is scratched. A few days later when we tried again, nothing had changed with the windshield and she didn't ever mention it again.

She then did crap like limiting the emergency descent to 2000 fpm, and requiring stall recovery before there was even a buffet. On final I accidentally flipped the flap switch to 'up' instead of 'neutral', and she absolutely crapped her pants. Grabbed the yoke, screamed "oh my god!" and froze. I joke not. I added partial power to arrest the descent, put the flaps back down, told her "I have the aircraft, let go now", and landed normally. The first and only time I have ever been mad at an examiner for being so incompetent. Still, I passed. After that I learned from several people that she has a well-known reputation for being terrified of anything even slightly out of the ordinary.

Was this DPE out of a small airport near Austin TX?

Back