Checkride Decision-making

You are correct, it's done and your guy is a "pilot" now.

Does anyone else find it troubling how easy and accessible we are making aviation these days? Not that long ago all students had to be proficient with navigating with there eyeballs and a chart, learned in Tailwheel aircraft, had to demonstrate spin recovery on a heading, etc.?

After I got my IFR ticket, I tried to get some spin training locally. My CFII would not, some bull about inner ear problems. The other CFII's and CFI's at my home port either do not feel comfortable doing it, do not want to do it in their planes or my plane(not acrobatic--which is BS because the last time I checked 172's and 182's are cleared for spins in utility), or as one says we need parachutes(not sure this is true either). In any case the closest place I can get spin training is on the other side of the state, and when I have a weekend to spare I will so it. As far as dead reckonning, I was not allowed to use GPS in my PPL training, except a lesson or two to be familiar with it. However, all my XC, were with dead reckoning, and dual VOR. I personally think scenario based training is a step backwards, and is being done to make flight training more palatable to the I-Pod generation. I think using a combination of training for skills and using scenarios to train for cockpit management and decision making makes a lot more sense.

Nowdays most DPEs are very relaxed, just direct to, ask your CFI (he's a resource) and if things go caca just hit the BRS button.

Not my experience at all. Got my PPL in 2011, and IFR in 2012. Training for commercial now. My plane got no BRS button to push.

The DPE that gave me my private, the guy that went before me didn't have a watch on, DPE asks what his primary means of judging fuel is? After fumbling around the applicant said "time!", DPE asked how he knew the time when he didn't even have a watch on. Kid had to reset the checkride for another day.

I am not sure he would have made me reschedule if I did not have a watch, as the trainer I flew had a cockpit timer, but your point is well taken.

It's like kids softball now, even the fat stupid kid gets a chance at bat, no one wins or looses, let's all just have fun! This appears to be the trend today, but in the sky the fat stupid kid ends up lawn darting his cirrus through someones house.

Hey I was the smart skinny kid in little league who could not hit a ball, or for that matter catch a ball if my life depended on it. My dad was not the type to play ball with me. Anyhow, I still got to play, which was great, and even once hit a home run. It was dumb luck, but who cares. Little league was about having fun. What's wrong with playing sports, even organized sports, just to have fun. It 's not like the world is going to end if the team loses. You know it's just a game!

I also think you equating poor abilities in sports to poor piloting skills is a bit over the top.

Somethings should be truly earned, besides does it make you feel better when you earn your ticket and are not just given it?
I do not believe they are giving out PPL to people who have not shown the skills of being a safe pilot. I did not get my PPL, or IFR for that matter because I earned it, I got it because I showed the skills that the FAA and specifically my DPE felt demonstrated I could perform the requirements to be safe. In my lifetime, I have seen many people who felt they should have been given something because the felt they earned it, when in realty they did not have the requisite skills to deserve it.

Doug

Nothing wrong with asking for opinions but you need to make the decision yourself. In this case I can see both sides, but only because it was a test.
And if it was not a test it would have been wrong to call the CFI for information?

Doug

And if it was not a test it would have been wrong to call the CFI for information?

Doug

I believe it should be just fine in fact should be encouraged. This is a basic demonstration of a good mentor/mentee relationship and being able to admit that you don't know it all.

I will hopefully take my ppl check ride in a month or so, afterwards I KNOW I will still have a lot to learn and will continue to maintain mentor/mentee relationships with more experienced pilots and instructors.

If it's not a test you can ask whoever you want whatever you want as long as they'll give you an answer. If it is a test it's up to the person giving the test who, in this case, obviously allowed it. I'm not sure all examiners would.

If it's not a test you can ask whoever you want whatever you want as long as they'll give you an answer. If it is a test it's up to the person giving the test who, in this case, obviously allowed it. I'm not sure all examiners would.
Thanks. That's what I thought you meant, just was not sure.

Doug

So if someone calls me and asks if they should take off with 40hrs under their belt in a 45 degree x-wind 20G40 and I decide to say, "SURE! no prob buddy, go for it", moron tries to fly and crashes.... that's moving forward?? :rolleyes2:

If you still need the crutch of your CFI to make a take off or no take off call, IMO you are not ready for your checkride

So if someone calls me and asks if they should take off with 40hrs under their belt in a 45 degree x-wind 20G40 and I decide to say, "SURE! no prob buddy, go for it", moron tries to fly and crashes.... that's moving forward?? :rolleyes2:

If you still need the crutch of your CFI to make a take off or no take off call, IMO you are not ready for your checkride

No, that's not moving forward. That would indicate that you're an idiot as is the person that looked to you for advice.

BTW, I would happily put this 46 hr pilot up against any similarly experienced pilot.

Last edited:

Good to know the only way you check the weather, is by looking outside, or going online and reading the raw data coming out of the weather stations.

Doing it any other way is asking someone what they think that data means. And we all know you should be able to figure it out on your own.

Better check your 182 POH again.
Sorry it was a typo I meant to say 172 which is the trainer they have. Interestingly, the 182 has no certification for utility category. Anyone know the reason.

Back