Checkride Continuance and Pandemic

Rome

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Rome
Looking here to see if anyone has any insight.

I took my private pilot checkride on March 23, 2020. I passed the oral but got weathered out before going up for the flight portion and received my continuance. That same day the Governor (Indiana) shut down everything non-essential for CV19. My flight school closed and my DPE stopped working as well. My flight school opened back up on May 6th, and my DPE came back to work May 13th. My ride was rescheduled for today, but got weathered out again. My question is this, you have 60 days to complete your checkride before your continuance expires (mine expires May 22nd and my ride is rescheduled again for this date). I cannot find any information on how the FAA is handling this situation. I believe I should have my deadline extended since my DPE (and others in my state) were not working for 50 of those 60 days of my continuance, thus only giving me a few days to try and squeeze in my ride between the DPE’s schedule and weather. To my knowledge, the FAA is not doing this.

Is anyone have any insight on this? Am I screwed if I get weathered out again on May 22nd (good chance of that as forecast is calling for storms), or has the FAA published anything about extending deadlines? Any help is appreciated.

Are you taking with the same DPE? I suspect that even if he is required to redo the oral, that he might give you a break and abbreviate it. If it’s a different one, I’d be ready for the whole shebang.

Yes, I am using the same DPE. I haven’t received a definitive answer from him as of yet. It seems to me he is unsure if the FAA is going to provide any relief, but so far he says they are not. I am confused by the link that was shared, as it mentions pilot schools as part of the relief? I would think a checkride would fall under that category?

As for if I end up having to retake the oral, I get the sense my DPE would cut me some slack and not come at me with the entire exam again. Would be nice if he cut me some slack on the cost of the checkride as well, but I won’t bet on that. Lol.

I am confused by the link that was shared, as it mentions pilot schools as part of the relief? I would think a checkride would fall under that category?
The SFAR is very specific about the relief it allows. For checkrides, it allows for an extension of knowledge tests, but nothing for a discontinuance.

So, an extension on your knowledge written test? I guess that is what does not make sense to me. I had no way of attempting to complete my checkride (I guess unless I went to a different state where DPE’s were still working) for 50 of the 60 days.

Hopefully, this all becomes a moot point and I get to finish my ride on Friday.

There are a lot of things that didn’t get relief. We get what they give us. It doesn’t have to make sense to us.

Oh, I am well aware of the old cliche of “life isn’t fair”. I think I am more just surprised I wouldn’t get relief based on the circumstance. Like I said, this may all be me worrying for nothing if I can get in the air come Friday.

Thanks again for the comments and assistance.

Back