Checkride confusion

railroader312

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
railroader312
Hi all, my checkride was scheduled for today. I called the DPE last week to schedule my checkride for today. He told me he was going to email me Wednesday or Thursday so I could plan my cross country. Called him multiple times and no answer. He emailed me today asking where I was and also wanting to know my telephone number and instructors telephone number wich I gave him last week. I emailed him back telling him I was waiting for his email so I can plan my cross country. This is the 2nd time this has happened. Am I missing something?

Welcome to the forum. Maybe when you schedule the next time ,show up at the assigned time,so you'll be sure it's not your fault on the miscommunications.

If he did receive your emails and hasn't called or responded, think its time for him to turn in his DPE badge.

Welcome to the forum. Maybe when you schedule the next time ,show up at the assigned time,so you'll be sure it's not your fault on the miscommunications.

I understand what you are saying but since the DPE said he would email the student with info and didn't, that puts the ball back in the DPE's corner. Seems like the student did everything possible in the communications part. I still blame the DPE.

Yeah I didnt want to show up unprepared if im planning any xc I would do it at least a day ahead of time anyway. I left a message with another DPE hopefully Wednesday I can finish this up!

We're only hearing one side of the story.

Maybe in the future, end your emails with "please reply so I know you have received this message"

It's important to be clear with communications especially between generations.
Maybe he did try to email you but mistyped an email address, thus he thinks you DID receive the XC instructions, etc. Could be a hundred things where the communication broke down.

Just find a different DPE.

Yeah I didnt want to show up unprepared if im planning any xc I would do it at least a day ahead of time anyway. I left a message with another DPE hopefully Wednesday I can finish this up!

Good luck!

E-mails can sometimes end up in the trash bin without being read, but if they aren't responding to phone calls/voice mails that is on them.

This is the reason I try to finalize all plans with either a phone call or face to face. I don't mind text or email for the preliminary, but not the final, I want to hear what you say.

Yah both my ppl and instrument check ride the DPE called to confirm as well as get my name and all that data. Very professional

I met the DPE before my PPL checkride, and talked with him on the phone before my Instrument ride. Then he called and rescheduled for later Friday morning instead of Saturday, so I turned around while halfway to work, called the boss and flew to meet him.

"Be prepared" is always a good plan. It worked in the Boy Scouts, and it still works these many years later.

While it is common that DPEs give you the cross country information to plan in advance it's really kind of out side the rules.

DPEs may be a business, but their part of a corrupt FAA crony system that in many places in the country puts you in an effective monopoly.

While it is common that DPEs give you the cross country information to plan in advance it's really kind of out side the rules.

DPEs may be a business, but their part of a corrupt FAA crony system that in many places in the country puts you in an effective monopoly.

Huh? From the Private PTS

Exhibits satisfactory knowledge of the elements related to cross-country flight planning by presenting and explaining a pre-planned VFR cross-country flight, as previously assigned by the examiner

Regarding the cross country planning information, the examiner I used for my private checkride wouldn't give out the information more than 24 hours in advance. He told me that they weren't supposed to give it out ahead of then. The examiners I've used for subsequent checkrides havent had this policy and would give you the information well in advance. I don't know who is right or if I got a BS story from the first examiner but that's how he did things.

As an instructor, I really don't care for a student having too much lead time. Every one of my students has wanted me to more or less plan their checkride cross country for them, which I feel defeats the purpose.

As an instructor, I really don't care for a student having too much lead time. Every one of my students has wanted me to more or less plan their checkride cross country for them, which I feel defeats the purpose.

Depends on WHICH cross country you are talking about. If it's their first cross country (dual or solo) I would hope that you helped them plan it and go over any questions that may arise. You don't do it FOR them...you help them WITH it.

It's called being a teacher. ;)

Depends on WHICH cross country you are talking about. If it's their first cross country (dual or solo) I would hope that you helped them plan it and go over any questions that may arise. You don't do it FOR them...you help them WITH it.

It's called being a teacher. ;)

I thought I was clear on that, but maybe not. I was talking about the cross country they need to prepare for the checkride. I can't imagine expecting a student to prepare their first cross country without help. :)

I thought I was clear on that, but maybe not. I was talking about the cross country they need to prepare for the checkride. I can't imagine expecting a student to prepare their first cross country without help. :)

You were being clear. :yes:

Back