Checkride coming up, slightly concerned about stall recovery technique

Note to OP: PTS allows the DPE to request you bank 20* during the power on stall ... my DPE did just that ... make sure you're coordinated if he does or practice a couple with your CFI ... I was never shown a power on stall while turning prior to the practical - it was a non-event, but had my attention.
I’ve thought about that as well. I’ve never been taught stalls during a turn. The DPE I plan on using will do a mock checkride with the applicant. I’m going to take advantage of this and hopefully cover a turning stall as well.

Note to OP: PTS allows the DPE to request you bank 20* during the power on stall ... my DPE did just that ... make sure you're coordinated if he does or practice a couple with your CFI ... I was never shown a power on stall while turning prior to the practical - it was a non-event, but had my attention.

PTS? Which ride is this? ;-)

A few years back, Margy and I were hanging around the airport when her instructor said he was doing a stage check on another instructor's student. Now Buzz, rightfully so, figures most students have never flow a 172 at gross since all their training is either solo or with just the instructor. He figures the first thing that the guy likely does after getting his ticket is load up three buddies in the plane and go flying. So, lets make it realistic. He convinces me and Margy to get in the back seat: "You'll learn something."

Well everything goes fine until we break ground. I feel the nose come up and up and up. What is this guy doing? Demonstrating a departure stall on departure?
I hold Margy tight. I then hear what I describe as the "CFI death scream." This is a noise an ordinarily calm instructor makes when he feels he is in imminent danger of death. He's pushing forward on the yoke shouting "IF YOU DROP THIS THING ON ITS TAIL WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE."

A few years back, Margy and I were hanging around the airport when her instructor said he was doing a stage check on another instructor's student. Now Buzz, rightfully so, figures most students have never flow a 172 at gross since all their training is either solo or with just the instructor. He figures the first thing that the guy likely does after getting his ticket is load up three buddies in the plane and go flying. So, lets make it realistic. He convinces me and Margy to get in the back seat: "You'll learn something."

Well everything goes fine until we break ground. I feel the nose come up and up and up. What is this guy doing? Demonstrating a departure stall on departure?
I hold Margy tight. I then hear what I describe as the "CFI death scream." This is a noise an ordinarily calm instructor makes when he feels he is in imminent danger of death. He's pushing forward on the yoke shouting "IF YOU DROP THIS THING ON ITS TAIL WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE."

That’s the equivalent of hearing someone say “Hold my beer” and deciding to get in their pickup truck. LOL.

That’s the equivalent of hearing someone say “Hold my beer” and deciding to get in their pickup truck. LOL.
I felt it was safe. Buzz is the best stick-and-rudder flight instructor I've come across. I'd let him teach me how to fly any aircraft.

I’ve thought about that as well. I’ve never been taught stalls during a turn. The DPE I plan on using will do a mock checkride with the applicant. I’m going to take advantage of this and hopefully cover a turning stall as well.

It'll stall sooner because of the added bank. That and level the wings while doing the rest of the normal stall recovery is about it. It's a non-event.

It's called an accelerated stall and should have been part of your primary training.

It'll stall sooner because of the added bank. That and level the wings while doing the rest of the normal stall recovery is about it. It's a non-event.

How you level the wings is important. Opposite aileron can get you in trouble. Neutral aileron and opposite rudder is the way to level the wings.

I felt it was safe. Buzz is the best stick-and-rudder flight instructor I've come across. I'd let him teach me how to fly any aircraft.

Then why did he scream like a girl? Guard the yoke so it can’t come back that far. LOL.

I’ve seen multiple instructors do that.

Or was he just being dramatic for the student?

The tone was a bit more urgent than I'd heard him use before. He commonly made joking remarks when you were screwing up along the lines of "You don't want to die in Pennsylvania."

It's called an accelerated stall and should have been part of your primary training.
It’s starting to look more and more like my instruction hasn’t been up to par. I’ve read lots about accelerated stalls but have yet to be shown one. I should’ve brought this up to my CFI so I’m partially to blame as well. This thread has me beginning to wonder if I should’ve been signed off. I’ve done well with everything in my training and have always been able to perform well within standards including the power on stalls the correct way per the PTS.

I’ve had to start and stop training several times due to money and have just been ready to get it over with although I’ve made it clear several times I didn’t care how long it ended up taking. My CFI mentioned when he signed me off that most of his students don’t get to this point, that 6-7 out of 10 usually end up quitting before they ever get to the point of being signed off.

Last edited:
It’s starting to look more and more like my instruction hasn’t been up to par. I’ve read lots about accelerated stalls but have yet to be shown one. I should’ve brought this up to my CFI so I’m partially to blame as well. This thread has me beginning to wonder if I should’ve been signed off.

Don’t be too hard on yourself. It’s a task in the Commercial ACS, not Private. For better or worse.

It’s supposed to be demonstrated but you’re not technically required to fly one.

Now is that smart? Probably not, but... FAA.

Don’t beat yourself up too hard about what you might not know at the Private candidate level, but always keep learning.

It’s a bare minimum entry level certification that you can take passengers aloft. :)

Don’t be too hard on yourself. It’s a task in the Commercial ACS, not Private. For better or worse.

It’s supposed to be demonstrated but you’re not technically required to fly one.
The words are "demonstrate understanding" of it. It's under the STEEP TURNS task. If you don't know what it's called, nor the being able to describe the issues involved even without knowing the proper name, you've not got any understanding to demonstrate.

And while the accelerated stall isn't a listed task on the private, entering a power-on or power-off stall from a constant rate turn *IS* a task the examiner can ask for (read all the items under those tasks in the ACS).

The words are "demonstrate understanding" of it. It's under the STEEP TURNS task. If you don't know what it's called, nor the being able to describe the issues involved even without knowing the proper name, you've not got any understanding to demonstrate.

And while the accelerated stall isn't a listed task on the private, entering a power-on or power-off stall from a constant rate turn *IS* a task the examiner can ask for (read all the items under those tasks in the ACS).

Which means "accelerated stall" still doesn't apply to @TennVolsPilot39 in the way folks in the thread made him think it does, and rattled him... LOL. He does need to do turning stalls, but those are not accelerated.

The CFI's syllabus is certainly questionable at this point. :)

Back