Checkride ... check!

Eagle I

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kat
On Saturday I passed my sport pilot checkride. The whole day seemed a bit surreal, as I'm sure anyone who has been through a checkride can understand. Two days later, I still can't believe it!

My journey to this point took slightly more than two years, several different flight schools and CFIs, more money than I care to count, long road trips and nights in motels, many hours of study, plenty of frustration, but mostly importantly, joy and a sense of accomplishment. I wouldn't trade it all for anything, including all of the obstacles. I learned from each one and would like to think I'm a better pilot, and person, for them.

As for the actual oral exam and checkride, there were no surprises. I felt well-prepared, but was just worried about my nerves getting the better of me. Before arriving at the airport, I felt like I didn't need a plane to fly! But once everything got underway, I stayed pretty focused and just took each question and each task one at a time. To my relief, the maneuver I was most afraid I'd botch -- steep turns -- was the first one the DPE asked me to do, and I did them in both directions well within the PTS. It was such a relief to get those over with first that I calmed down considerably after that.

Now I'm looking forward to flying for fun, and continuing to learn everything I can. Thanks to all of you who have been a source of knowledge and support over the last two years.

Congrats....:cheers:

But I am curious..... How much does a Sport Pilot cert cost ?:dunno:

I don't think it's considerably cheaper than PPL. From what I've heard/read, the minimums are less, but people run over b/c you still need to know how to fly the plane.

BTW OP, congrats on the ticket. :yes:

But I am curious..... How much does a Sport Pilot cert cost ?:dunno:

I'm probably not a good one to ask, because it took me 82 hours to get my certificate! Well, my first 13 hours were in Warriors and Cherokees, but still ... I knew once I switched to the sport pilot route that the 20-hour FAA minimum was unrealistic, just as most PPL candidates don't finish in the minimum 40 hours, but I never imagined that it would take as long as it did. It also didn't help that I did all of my sport pilot training in a plane that's considered difficult to land, although I love the CTLS and feel very comfortable with it now.

Anyway, to attempt to answer your question, I've seen brochures and websites that claim you can get a sport pilot certificate for as little as $3,000 (bull!), but I think the more common price I've seen is around $6,000. Mine was probably more like $15,000!:hairraise: As I said, I stopped counting the receipts long ago.:D

Congrats anyways!
You're a pilot now and that's the important part

Great Job

Well done, especially on not worrying about the cost ! :yikes:

Congratulations on keeping the dream alive and making it happen! You accomplished something relatively few people ever even try to do.

David

Big Congrats!!!! I knew if you stuck with it you would finish. Job well done, pilot!!

PS: When are we meeing for lunch?? :wink2:

Congrats on the ticket now go out and use have fun.

Back