Checkride 1/2 passed!

JoeFromKS

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JoeFromKS
Well I had my pp checkride scheduled for last Friday. As of Thursday evening the forecast was horrible for the entire day. So I called up the DPE to see what he wanted to do, he agreed on calling off the flight but said we could meet up and do the oral and paperwork anyway and hope for a weather miracle.
Friday morning I get to the airport 1.5 hours before our scheduled time to set up and finalize my xc flight plan. Flight services strongly discouraged attempting the planned flight. As soon as I get off the phone the DPE walks in to the fbo. WAYYY early, good thing I was there! Introduce myself, let him know where we would be working, and I RAN out to the hangar to get the aircraft paperwork. I was very nervous at first but began to relax as we got into it. He let me know right away that he doesn't expect anyone to have all the answers, but if I miss a bunch of questions and don't know where to get the answers then we would have a problem. I got the feeling that he is very passionate about GA and really enjoys aviation. After the oral a quick look out the window confirmed that a miracle was not going to happen and he wrote up the discontinuance and we rescheduled for next Monday.

Here's what we covered that I can remember:
8710-1 and IACRA online paperwork. Asked if I had read the pilot's bill of rights and strongly suggested becoming familiar with it.
My logbook. Checked for endorsements. Asked where I did my controlled field landings and where I went for xc's.
Plane's logbooks. What must be logged?
Show me the weight and balance calculations.
Where are we in the cg envelope?
What are takeoff and landing distances?
Show me the flight plan.
Can we make it non-stop?
Got a sectional out.
What conditions do we need to fly at 500' here?(points to an airport under 700' E)
If the ceiling was 200' could you legally take off?
What do we need to fly here?(3 times, for D, C, and B) for bravo he wanted the specific phrase atc would use and what would I say back.
What problem would you have flying here last Saturday? (Points to college town)
What follows Obama everywhere he goes?
If you violate his tfr, what 3 groups will you have to deal with?
What's adverse yaw?
What problems would you have with a to far aft cg?
If you're flying with a passenger and run off and hit a runway light, what will the FAA look for in your logbook?
Do you have to log every flight?
What endorsements do you need to fly a cessna 210?
Your plane is out of annual and you need to ferry it to a mechanic. What permit do you need?
And some other questions I don't recall.

It went very smoothly. I had my copy of the FARs, and on questions I wasn't sure of I said "I believe it's this, but I'm going to confirm." He either said yes it is, or let me look it up.

Now all I have to do is fly!

I had the same situation, bad weather split up the oral and practical portions of my checkride by almost a week.

Having the oral portion out of the way for several days, I think I was a lot more relaxed for the practical portion than I would have been otherwise.

Good luck!

Well that should take a lot of the pressure off of you. Congrats ,now relax and nail the flying portion. Good luck.

My experience was similar - very low ceilings, so we did a few hours together on an oral exam and put off the flying for the next day. It was more of a discussion, abd conversation, than a test. I didn't get stressed about it, the DPE was/is a good guy and it turned out to be actually a pretty good time.

The next morning, early, we met up and flew for a while. Getting the first half of the checkride out of the way the day before helped get the two of us acquainted with each other so I wasn't so nervous during the flight portion. I still WAS nervous, though!

Back