Checkout...

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
Sometimes FBO's just do not make any sense. I am trying to get checked out with a different FBO up here which has slightly slower daily minimum charges.

Right now I'm pretty much completely limited to night flying because it gets dark so early.

Well this FBO requires that you get a day and a night checkout. I told them a day checkout just really isn't possible for me right now and I'd prefer just to do it all at night.

Finally he said OK. I can do the checkout at night. But I'll be restricted to night flying only.

So. That's what I'll do. I guess I can only fly their planes at night :dunno:

jangell said:
Sometimes FBO's just do not make any sense. I am trying to get checked out with a different FBO up here which has slightly slower daily minimum charges.

Right now I'm pretty much completely limited to night flying because it gets dark so early.

Well this FBO requires that you get a day and a night checkout. I told them a day checkout just really isn't possible for me right now and I'd prefer just to do it all at night.

Finally he said OK. I can do the checkout at night. But I'll be restricted to night flying only.

That has to be the most retarded thing I have read.

wow that is silly. isnt night supposed to be the hard(er) period to fly?

It sounds like they just want more money which is a bummer. Or maybe it is some weird insurance thing but I have only ever heard of a night check out, and that was good enough. Good luck, enjoy the stars.

Don't worry too much about it. After you've flown there awhile they'll let you expand into the less risky daylight environment with minimal dual time and like you said, you can't fly during the day right now anyway.

jangell said:

Jesse it all makes perfect sense. The daylight can be tricky to fly in as you will have many more visual refernces to confuse. Your choices for off field landing will be so numerous in Minn during the day that you might get confused and try to land at all of them at once. That is why there should be a special rating for those the fly in the daylight like up in Canada where there is a different add on for day flying than from the night flight autorization.

I applaud this super safety concious FBO and we should award them the DHS-TSA safety award.

Back