Checklist? (And forgive me if this has been covered)

The self-exalted opinion of some posters not withstanding, everybody forgets something from time to time, even in the best of circumstances. Put a little pressure on them (distraction, mechanical, weather, lost comm, electrical, etc.) and they unfold like a flea-market accordian. The reason that writtten lists are used as "done lists" rather than "do lists" is to simply verify that the flows were completed properly. Older guys are prime suspects to forget anything and everything, and their time in the seat shouldn't be an excuse for sloppy flying. OTOH, pilots can arrange their flows and checklists in such a way that they can be used quickly and become a convenient tool that makes flying easier rather than harder.

When reading the various posts in this thread, simply ask yourself how many pilots were trained to operate as they do, and how many decided on their own that "there's no need to go through all that checklist crap, I got this handled without it." Then read the NTSB reports and ask yourself if the pilot population has things figured out as well as they thought. I'm not suggesting that check-list usage is a cure-all for all of the accidents, I'm simply trying to eliminate the easy ones that help contribute to our horse-shlt safety record.

You have already seen first-hand how the wheels fall off if check-list usage isn't up to speed. Every other pilot who starts IR training will be faced with similar issues, and most will come away with a different outlook.

I think I understand what you're saying. My early training (primacy) was heavily leaning toward "call and response" memorization of checklists and flows, since originally I was heading toward an aviation degree. I'm quite comfortable with that environment. The "pro" way as you've pointed out. Piles of unlogged sim time. Always two "crew".

After flying for a while and then leaving aviation for 8 years and returning I noticed a distinct lack of the utilization of "memory items" and found that "flows" had become more popular. It was subtle.

"Flows" when I started flying were the way to get it done right but the instructors were teaching the "call and response" because we were all headed for airline interviews, so to speak. "Flows" weren't given much direct "love" back then, it was just known by everyone that was the way you really flew while rattling off checklist items.

Nowadays flows are actively taught. This is good.

As far as your opinion that the wheels were falling off the bus during my IR training, I should explain that a) we were doing a highly concentrated "immersion" jump into IFR flying and b) I'm my own worst critic. If you want an accurate assessment of my performance you'd probably have to ask Jesse. I nitpick the crap out of training flights because I want to get the maximum out of them. I miss a single checklist item and stew about it later looking for a way to force-integrate the new flow into the old.

Plus, what I was trying to accomplish was subtly different than many trainees. I was forcing a change of many years of workable memorized behaviors and flows that work almost flawlessly for VFR flying and incorporate new items that need to be there for IFR flying. VFR the checklist is down on my lap, the flow happens, and the checklist comes out to double check. In my head I'm also doing "call and response" well after the items are being accomplished. That primacy will never go away. I can easily transition into and out of "two pilot cockpit mode" while I know that's a difficult transition for lots and lots of folks.

I'd share that there's a distinct disadvantage to doing 20 years of VFR and then knowing you have to change things significantly. I wasn't missing much in my flows after a couple of days but my nemesis was closing the cowl flaps. It was coming back into the flow after a few days, the beginning was just a sign of "being really busy" on departure.

(Anyone thinking about adding the Instrument Rating: Do it early on in your flying career. It's easier to integrate it all before all habits are heavily set.)

My comments about reliance on the checklist during that process was more of a "I have a feeling I missed something I never missed before because we just simulated going IMC at 100' so I'd better check the checklist". And in a few of the flights we really were IMC at 600'-800'. I loved the challenge.

Sure enough, my nagging feeling was correct a few times early in the week. By the last day I was doing fine. It's a jump into the deep end doing two to three flights a day. And very good for me because it stresses and highlights what happens under stress. Others may not like that method very much.

This type of immersion works well for me, but I have to hit a wall and say "crap!" to remember everything. Jesse knew and pushed me right up to that wall around Wednesday night.

Then it starts to "stick" and stick real well. Drag it out over months it doesn't "stress the system" well enough to find the triggers that cause my personal overload. I personally want to know what those are.

Jesse is very good at watching for signs of "comfort" and then nailing you with the next step. I was getting comfortable with things and let it slip my mind about mid-week that we had partial panel to do still. Jesse pulled the instrument failures at the exact right time to show me where I would be dead, dead, dead if I wasn't ready for it. DME arc at night turning onto the arc.

David has attested to this also. Jesse juuuuust let's you get comfortable then "oh hey, something failed... you know how to turn onto this arc without those pesky vacuum instruments right?" ;) Streeeeetch that brain Nate. Are you REALLY ahead of this aircraft? ;)

Mind blown. Fight back. Learn how to fight back if something catches one off guard in actual. It was perfect.

So I fully agree with your assessment that there's some awful training going on. I had really good training and get what you're saying regarding checklist vs "just get it done". Some of my experiences are being misinterpreted as caused by that weird non-pro "anything goes" style training that I know you're trying to point out.

I nitpick and nitpick myself. Jesse has said before a lot of his role is managing someone's confidence. Don't read too much into me saying I was "leaning on the checklist", that wasn't for the whole week. It was more self-assessment saying, "Wow dummy! You had to refer to the checklist more than you've had to in years." But it was an integration process. Not a "I've forgotten how to fly this thing" process.

It's difficult to distinguish in a short description, thus this longer one now that I had some time to think about how to word it. Fly the plane, followup with the checklist. If the checklist blows out the window, still fly the plane. ;)

panel with checklist.jpg

Yep, unless I forget. I try to put the list in an obvious place when it's parked.
Wayne, do you adhere to strict checklist protocol transitioning phases of flight in your 180?

I'm sure this has been asked before (although I just did a search and didn't come up with a thread).

My question is: Do you always use a checklist-- not for pre-flight and run-up, but for cruise & pre-descent (and not just GUMPS, but pullilng out the actual checklist and going over it).

... and thanks for your input!
The planes I fly, probably similar to what you fly, are simple enough that I don't pull out the check list. Things like "GUMPS LL", as I was taught it cover most of it as the fuel selector valve and/or fuel pump are covered in the "G" part. The "LL" is "landing light". Looking at the C-172 instruction manual, everything is covered in "GUMPS LL" except for turning off the autopilot, and you'll realize it is still on the first menuver you make by hand.

A more complex airplane- I might use a check list, at the appropriate times. I'll worry about that if the time comes and I have a true understanding of that aircraft.

Last edited:
Flows as the "do list" paper as the "done list." But as you can see from the picture, my checklist is rearranged to match the actual cockpit flow, and is very brief. I've never timed the usage, but would guess that 10-15 seconds max is a reasonable number. List clips to the panel, items are easy to view.

Do you use it to read and act, or do you use it to confirm actions already committed?

Flows as the "do list" paper as the "done list." But as you can see from the picture, my checklist is rearranged to match the actual cockpit flow, and is very brief. I've never timed the usage, but would guess that 10-15 seconds max is a reasonable number. List clips to the panel, items are easy to view.

Exactly, and at your age nobody is gonna expect you to remember what's on the list.:D;) It's not like you didn't learn it. My only issue with checklists is in the way they are typically taught. When we first get in the plane on lesson one, we are taught to grab the checklist and go through those items, and that's not good because it takes the laws of primacy in learning to teach them incorrect technique. There are very few CFIs out there teaching 'flows' because for the most part, the first time they hear of one they are at their 135/121 indoc class after they've taught a few hundred students poor technique as prime. BTW, like you, I wrote my own checklists to match my flows. Everyone should have to make their own checklist for a plane they intend to keep flying regularly, best way to learn what's on them.

Last edited:
There are very few CFIs out there teaching 'flows' because for the most part, the first time they hear of one they are at their 135/121 indoc class after they've taught a few hundred students poor technique as prime.

Don't know about that, but don't have data one way or the other.

That said, I adapt to the student. I'll stress procedure more with an air-transport-bound 17 year old than the 40-some guy who just wants to fly around...

That said, I adapt to the student. I'll stress procedure more with an air-transport-bound 17 year old than the 40-some guy who just wants to fly around...

Right, but teaching flows is helpful for every pilot regardless of how they use a plane and will be ingrained through primacy should they go the airline route. Flows work for everyone.

I have a love hate relationship with written checklists. I was thinking of starting a thread on this same topic after Friday's commercial training flight in a PA-28.

The checklist for the school has 43 separate checklist procedures, some apparent duplicates. There are probably three that apply before takeoff, not counting hot start, external power start, etc.

On one hand I think things are missing from all of them. Like verify all gages read zero before turning master on. I’m also a stickler for verify breakers are in before taking off.

I want to know the gages can read zero, and I want to know if the breaker popped in flight. Last Friday the gear indication lights did not go green after I put the gear down for the first landing, the breaker popped. It was good to know we hadn’t just overlooked it on preflight, even though the resulting actions would probably have been the same.

Also on the same flight, I was a little behind the aircraft and got lost in the checklists, almost forgot the engine run up before takeoff!

I’m also at the place where I realize that I need to spend at least X hours prepping for every hour of flight in anything, especially as a renter changing up aircraft.

Friday, for such a short training flight (.6), I came away with a lot to think about.

At this point in my career, I'm either flying or evaluating other pilots for various reasons. I'm not instructing (much) so I get a free seat to observe how the other pilots perform, and without providing any input, advice or commentary unless specifically asked to do so. In a word, it's disappointing. Even more disappointing is that most of them think they are pretty good when in fact they're adequate at best. It's also interesting to see how quickly many of them duck behind the "I'm just a private pilot, what do you expect" excuse routine when they screw the pooch. I don't expect any of that to change, but know from many years' experience that one shot of smoke in the cockpit or other unanticipated abnormal can addle even the the most bullet-proof-in-their-own-mind pilot.

Insofar as my own flying is concerned, I've noticed that adding or changing installed equipment, instrumentation and avionics can disturb established flow patterns and that some repetitions are required before the new habits are ingrained. For example, I've added seat-stops to the front seats in my plane, and conscious effort has been required to add the "S" to the mneumonic for the pre-takeoff flow.

So yeah, I know I can forget stuff and I know you can too.

Exactly, and at your age nobody is gonna expect you to remember what's on the list.:D;) It's not like you didn't learn it. My only issue with checklists is in the way they are typically taught. When we first get in the plane on lesson one, we are taught to grab the checklist and go through those items, and that's not good because it takes the laws of primacy in learning to teach them incorrect technique. There are very few CFIs out there teaching 'flows' because for the most part, the first time they hear of one they are at their 135/121 indoc class after they've taught a few hundred students poor technique as prime.

Right, but teaching flows is helpful for every pilot regardless of how they use a plane and will be ingrained through primacy should they go the airline route. Flows work for everyone.

I teach flow to both, but will focus less on crew-style checklist use, that's all.

The only time I use a Checklist in a Chief is before I pull it out after a long break. I toss it on the back shelf and don't see it again until a few weeks later.

FWIW my Cardinal checkout CFI introduced me to flows, and I've used them exclusively ever since. When I first bought my plane I developed a flow with reference to the printed checklist (3 years of not flying a Cardinal), and haven't used the checklist in actual operations in at least a year and a half. I could definitely see needing a CHECKlist (after the fact) in a more complex airplane (e.g. a twin), but even then, I'm not sure I would continue to need it indefinitely, if it was the only airplane I ever flew.

BTW my flows for preflight, runup, and after landing involve touching everything in a particular order. Missing something doesn't seem likely -- with the exception of resetting the transponder to 1200 if I've landed with a discrete code. That's controlled by the GPS and is the one thing I've missed in the last year.

So yeah, I know I can forget stuff and I know you can too.

Oh yeah, I'm well aware, that's why I do things to assure critical issues are met as well. The 'I'm just a private pilot, I'm just..., whatever' mentality is what gets people into a bind to begin with. If you're gonna fly, you should always try to to fly to the highest standards and improve your abilities and techniques constantly. Like they don't understand the reason the FAA writes lower standards for private is not because you don't need more for your own safety; they require professional pilots higher standards for other peoples safety, they don't really care if if you kill yourself and family/friends you know who are willing to get in a plane with you.

In someways I think checklists can instill a mentality of 'The info is there, I don't really need to think about it' as well. I recognize my own susceptibility to this and as a guard, I, like you, write my own checklists just to be sure I gave each of them full consideration.

Four pages and nobody has pointed out that Chuck Norris doesn't use a checklist. The airplane conforms to HIS operational sequence.

Four pages and nobody has pointed out that Chuck Norris doesn't use a checklist. The airplane conforms to HIS operational sequence.
yeah, but the OP isn't Chuck Norris. She's MUCH cooler!

FWIW, the only reason I use flows is because I was taught to use them by a Lear 35 F/O...Most CFI's are teaching read and do as the way to use a checklist.

Back