Checking for nose gear strut

John777

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Louis
Back in my private training, my instructor while doing his preflight outside, he used to grab the prop spinner and swing it up and down. Not sure what he was intending to do but I guess he was checking the nose gear.

Does anyone know the reason behind why he was swinging like that if what he did was correct?

If not, is there anyway to check nose gear(oleo strut) during preflight?

You didn't mention the type of aircraft but on my Cherokee, if there is 3-4" of strut showing with no puddles on the floor it is fine. No reason to go bouncing up and down on it especially "grabbing the spinner" for anything other than checking for looseness isn't a good idea.

I've had cherokees where the strut would stick "down". Usually it was a main but that doesn't mean it couldn't be the nose.

Sometimes I'd land and it would need more opposite rudder (nose wheel steering more likely) to stay straight and then when you turn away for the low strut it would 'bounce itself" back up. When I parked sometimes I'd find it down.

If found down I'd put my back just outboard the gear leg and lift the wing it until it re-extended.

After lunch if it's still up I'd fly her home. If it had dropped again I'd call for maintenance.

I agree with Timbeck2 that grabbing the spinner is not the way to do anything except removing the spinner.

I agree with Timbeck2 that grabbing the spinner is not the way to do anything except removing the spinner.

Those spinners can costs thousands and they're not legally repairable when they crack. The bulkheads that support them costs thousands more. They should encounter nothing more than air and bugs.

I'm always amazed at what some instructors pick up from somewhere and pass on to their students. I recently watched one showing a female student how to pull the prop through while leaning over the prop. Amazing ignorance, that, and an act that might cost that student her life someday.

Back