Checking Account Security (N/A)

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
While I was in a card-less state after a recent debit card fraud event, I used ACH from my checking account to pay some bills. I'd always had doubts about the security of the system because all the needed information is printed right on the checks; but since I rarely write paper checks, anyway, I wasn't too concerned.

What raised my eyebrows is that one of the bills I paid was not in my name, but a relative's, who has a different first and last name, and who lives in a different state. My name doesn't appear anywhere on the account. But the system gleefully accepted my checking account information and successfully processed the transaction, anyway. (I used an old, rarely used, but still-valid checking account during that time, by the way.)

Frankly, it was a few days before the significance of the payment's being successful hit me. What it tells me is that anyone who's ever received a check from anyone can use that account to pay their own bills. All the information needed (account name, routing number, account number) is printed right on the check; and apparently, as long as the items validate to an active account, the transaction goes through.

This seems pretty bizarre to me. At a minimum, why doesn't the banking industry insist on each account being assigned two account numbers: one printed on the check, and the other known only to the account holder, with the "secret" number being the only one that will work on a paperless transaction? That seems simple enough to do compared to "real" security improvements that might actually cost the banking industry money to implement (and which, therefore, will never happen).

"Real" security improvements would be along the lines of encrypting the routing and account numbers, and printing them on the checks as bar codes or indicia. The recipient's bank would need a database of encrypted routing numbers to know where to send the check, but could send the account number in its encrypted form. The bank holding the account could then associate the encrypted number with the actual account.

A "real" solution like that might cause banks' profits to dip by a fraction of a percent for a quarter or two, however, so I don't expect it to ever happen.

But having two separate account numbers would cost nothing in terms of hardware or printing, because the paper check part of the system would be unaffected. The only thing that would be affected would be non-paper transactions, which would be required to only use the "secret" number.

Does anyone who (unlike me) actually knows what he or she is talking about with regard to check processing procedures have any comments about this?

-Rich

Last edited:
Real security improvements have been enacted in places such as Europe, and involve doing away with cheques entirely and having robust online banking procedures. For some reason the USA is still a couple of decades behind in this area; my online banking here is useless compared to my accounts in Europe!

Rich, you haven't even touched on it all. Since check clearing through the Fed went to image-based processing in the 90s, there's tons of consumer based applications that allow payment simply by taking a photo of a check someone wrote.

Photoshop, anyone?

I try not to open the checkbook anywhere I can see a close range video surveillance, or any other camera.

Way too easy to get a screen-cap, and modify. Then print and shoot a photo from a "secure", "approved" check payment App on a smartphone.

Plenty of crooks still float bad checks in other people's names.

Rich, you haven't even touched on it all. Since check clearing through the Fed went to image-based processing in the 90s, there's tons of consumer based applications that allow payment simply by taking a photo of a check someone wrote.

Photoshop, anyone?

I try not to open the checkbook anywhere I can see a close range video surveillance, or any other camera.

Way too easy to get a screen-cap, and modify. Then print and shoot a photo from a "secure", "approved" check payment App on a smartphone.

Plenty of crooks still float bad checks in other people's names.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Check_21_Act

ACH is about fraud detection rather than prevention. Immediate processing of check images actually makes most kinds of check fraud more difficult. Remember when the biggest problem banks had was kiting? :)

The infrastructure changed before 2004. Check 21 brought smaller players into the game. Fed stuff was converted to image long before everyone was allowed to communicate directly. Remember when budding pilots struggled to get enough hours to fly checks around at night?

Kiting is harder now, direct fast ripoffs are easier. Not sure the solution fixed the problem other than making sure banks didn't get to sit on each other's money for a few more days and earn interest on the float.

Rich, we had this issue a few years ago with one of our business accounts. Someone had gotten our account information off a check and was writing checks using our account information, but not our company name, heck they weren't even business size checks!!:no: One was in a woman's name DBA some decorating company! A couple were ACH transfers to pay VISA bills??:dunno: No one was caught, the bank reluctantly ate the loss and we changed banks. ;)
We now use "positive pay" on our business accounts, we send a list of checks, amounts and payees every night and the bank won't cash it if it's not on the list. It's supposed to be for our benefit, but it's really the bank protecting itself. :D But, it does work.................so far. :D
I had some avionics work done on 2009 and the shop wanted me to fax them the check, I faxed it over, they deposited it on their check reader. :eek:

The infrastructure changed before 2004. Check 21 brought smaller players into the game. Fed stuff was converted to image long before everyone was allowed to communicate directly. Remember when budding pilots struggled to get enough hours to fly checks around at night?

Kiting is harder now, direct fast ripoffs are easier. Not sure the solution fixed the problem other than making sure banks didn't get to sit on each other's money for a few more days and earn interest on the float.
AND YET THEY STILL FLOAT.

I hate banks.

Rich, we had this issue a few years ago with one of our business accounts. Someone had gotten our account information off a check and was writing checks using our account information, but not our company name, heck they weren't even business size checks!!:no: One was in a woman's name DBA some decorating company! A couple were ACH transfers to pay VISA bills??:dunno: No one was caught, the bank reluctantly ate the loss and we changed banks. ;)
We now use "positive pay" on our business accounts, we send a list of checks, amounts and payees every night and the bank won't cash it if it's not on the list. It's supposed to be for our benefit, but it's really the bank protecting itself. :D But, it does work.................so far. :D
I had some avionics work done on 2009 and the shop wanted me to fax them the check, I faxed it over, they deposited it on their check reader. :eek:

That's been around for a while. I have that ability on one of my accounts, but I rarely use it. I prefer going to the CU in person. No special reason. I just like going there in person.

-Rich

I rarely ever write checks, and almost never provide routing or account numbers to anyone. Almost all of my bills are paid online by direct transfer from my bank to preauthorized accounts, with the remainder being paid via credit card or cash. This theoretically limits the risk of fraud against my account.

The other thing I do is limit the balance in my checking account, so that my exposure to loss in the case of fraud is limited. I cringe every time I hear about banks offering "overdraft protection" by automatically transferring funds from one account into one that would otherwise become overdrawn.

The bottom line is that there will always be a tolerance for risk on the part of the banks. As long as they determine that their losses from fraud are smaller than the costs associated with mitigating them, there will be exposure.

JKG

Back