RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Well, I made an honest mistake.

Typical preflight procedure involves a look on Aviation Weather .gov followed by a call to 1800WXBRIEF to confirm the information that I viewed and get informed on the things I missed (ie., NOTAMs).

I was watching the weather most of the afternoon as several spotty showers and storms were popping up across the area. I could see that they were all dissipating, so I went ahead and did my usual preflight weather scan, but because it was a last minute idea, I just took off for the airport without giving a call to the briefer, so I missed the NOTAMs.

To make a long story short, I lost track of time and ended up getting back to my home drome at last light. I keyed the mic five times to activate the pilot controlled lighting and thought that it was odd that I couldn’t see the runway lights come on. Repeated the exercise a second time and got the same result. It wasn’t until I was on a tight downwind that I was able to see that only half of the runway edge lights were illuminated. There was still just enough light to make a safe landing but it was dark. Had it of been any darker I would’ve had to go to another satellite airport and call it a night there.

Anyway I got down safely and all is well, but I was thinking to myself, ‘why didn’t I know about this beforehand?’ Dumb me realized that I forgot to check the NOTAMs which said:

REDL Out of Service (and gave the date)

Check your NOTAMs!

Well, I made an honest mistake.

Typical preflight procedure involves a look on Aviation Weather .gov followed by a call to 1800WXBRIEF to confirm the information that I viewed and get informed on the things I missed (ie., NOTAMs).

I was watching the weather most of the afternoon as several spotty showers and storms were popping up across the area. I could see that they were all dissipating, so I went ahead and did my usual preflight weather scan, but because it was a last minute idea, I just took off for the airport without giving a call to the briefer, so I missed the NOTAMs.

To make a long story short, I lost track of time and ended up getting back to my home drome at last light. I keyed the mic five times to activate the pilot controlled lighting and thought that it was odd that I couldn’t see the runway lights come on. Repeated the exercise a second time and got the same result. It wasn’t until I was on a tight downwind that I was able to see that only half of the runway edge lights were illuminated. There was still just enough light to make a safe landing but it was dark. Had it of been any darker I would’ve had to go to another satellite airport and call it a night there.

Anyway I got down safely and all is well, but I was thinking to myself, ‘why didn’t I know about this beforehand?’ Dumb me realized that I forgot to check the NOTAMs which said:

REDL Out of Service (and gave the date)

Check your NOTAMs!

Meh. Runway lights are a crutch.:) Thanks for the reminder. A last minute call to 800wxbrief is my routine for Notams and TFR's, just takes a minute or two. But I have sinned before and not done it on what I considered to be a routine flight, like to the home drome.

Meh. Runway lights are a crutch.:) Thanks for the reminder. A last minute call to 800wxbrief is my routine for Notams and TFR's, just takes a minute or two. But I have sinned before and not done it on what I considered to be a routine flight, like to the home drome.
Yeah. Of the 5 years that I’ve been flying at this particular airport, this was the first time that I recall this happening. So, don’t get complacent...even if it’s just a local flight!

<yes I need to practice what I’m preaching!>

It gets worse when you arrive on fumes to find an un-NOTAMed broken fuel pump. Okay, not on fumes but not enough to get me home. Had to fly to another more expensive fuel pump.

It gets worse when you arrive on fumes to find an un-NOTAMed broken fuel pump. Okay, not on fumes but not enough to get me home. Had to fly to another more expensive fuel pump.
Good thing I was low on fuel...when I was halfway to Peuerto Rico I got the NOTAM that the runway had been shortened .

There was no NOTAM about not Having jet fuel there. :rolleyes:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back