check ride question.

Contrails

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Contrails
can someone tell me what DPE's are doing with some VOR's being out of service now? How are they addressing that? doing other NPA approaches instead? and discussing VOR's during the oral? Or what? depends on location of course. thank you.

I'm not a DPE. Any GPS waypoint can be set up to "act" like a VOR by setting an inbound course and identifying where you are around that point and setting up a track to intercept the desired course.

As for approaches. RNAV or GPS approaches can count as non precision approaches LNAV vs LPV.

Depends. The ACS requires non-precision and precision approaches, and refers to Appendix 7 for the operational requirements.

Task A. Nonprecision Approach guidance states for the examiner to select types the applicant is most likely to use, and of course the airplane is capable of using. Examples include VOR, VOR/DME, LOC on an ILS, LDA, or various RNAV IAPs.

See page A-16 of the IRA ACS for full context.

ETA: they can also be covered in the oral (which continues thru the entire exam) along with any other items missed on the written.

Ultimately you’ve got to do two different types of NPAs, so probably a localizer and GPS.

ETA: they can also be covered in the oral (which continues thru the entire exam) along with any other items missed on the written.
Just to clarify, the ground portion (commonly referred to as “the oral,” must be completed and passed (including written questions missed) before the flight portion can begin. However, oral questioning can continue through the flight portion of the exam.

can someone tell me what DPE's are doing with some VOR's being out of service now? How are they addressing that? doing other NPA approaches instead? and discussing VOR's during the oral? Or what? depends on location of course. thank you.

Speaking for my profiles: in the enroute structure, an out of service (OTS) VOR is generally treated as though nothing has changed. Which of course, is normal in the everyday. It's just a normal waypoint. You can hold there, etc. No approaches of course.

Currently, for the NPA task, a ground-based navaid approach is required. This can be accomplished via a LOC approach. Therefore, an operational VOR has generally not been required in my neck of the woods.

I do seek out an operational VOR for tuning and course guidance during my IRA/CFI-IA practical tests. These are generally available. If possible, I request a VOR approach.

I'm only speaking for myself; other designees may have their own reqirements in alignment with the ACS.

Thanks,

Speaking for my profiles: in the enroute structure, an out of service (OTS) VOR is generally treated as though nothing has changed. Which of course, is normal in the everyday. It's just a normal waypoint. You can hold there, etc. No approaches of course.

Currently, for the NPA task, a ground-based navaid approach is required. This can be accomplished via a LOC approach. Therefore, an operational VOR has generally not been required in my neck of the woods.

I do seek out an operational VOR for tuning and course guidance during my IRA/CFI-IA practical tests. These are generally available. If possible, I request a VOR approach.

I'm only speaking for myself; other designees may have their own reqirements in alignment with the ACS.

Thanks,
Ryan,

Thank you for your answer and explanation. Much appreciated. I was looking for some insights on this. And I just went to your website. Very nice!

Cheers,

John

Back