Check Ride & Progressive Inspections

TedR3

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ted
So, my PP-ASEL Check Ride is finally scheduled for this week, and this weekend, I got to review the airframe and engine logs for the C172S I fly so I will be able to demonstrate to the DPE that the plane is airworthy.

Unfortunately, the logs did not show 100 hour or annual inspections - just Cessna Phase I, Phase II and Phase III inspections. All the entries were signed by an IA.

I was told Phase I = 50 hrs, Phase II = 100 hrs, and Phase III = Annual Inspection, and not to worry about it.

I'm assuming this is part of a Progressive Inspection Program described in FAR 91.409(d).

Any thoughts on whether the DPE is likely to ask for information about the Inspection Program, or will he just accept it without further question?

Have your instructor call him ask him

+1. Be able to discuss both the annual/100hr requirements and the progressive system the aircraft is maintained in accordance with. Also note that aircraft which are maintained under progressive maintenance programs do not have to comply with the annual and 100 hour inspection requirement in 14 CFR 91.409 . Where I instruct our progressive system ultimately accomplishes those two tasks but they are not called annual and 100 hour inspections, but rather phase inspections and cycles.

Assume NOTHING. Sit down with the Chief of Maintenance and don't let him/her get away until you fully understand the Progressive Maintenance system by which the aircraft in which you will take that practical test is maintained.

So, my PP-ASEL Check Ride is finally scheduled for this week, and this weekend, I got to review the airframe and engine logs for the C172S I fly so I will be able to demonstrate to the DPE that the plane is airworthy.

Unfortunately, the logs did not show 100 hour or annual inspections - just Cessna Phase I, Phase II and Phase III inspections. All the entries were signed by an IA.

I was told Phase I = 50 hrs, Phase II = 100 hrs, and Phase III = Annual Inspection, and not to worry about it.

I'm assuming this is part of a Progressive Inspection Program described in FAR 91.409(d).

Any thoughts on whether the DPE is likely to ask for information about the Inspection Program, or will he just accept it without further question?

I assume you are in a part 141 flight school, this will be routine for the DPE, he has probably rode in the aircraft before. and yes it is legal even if you are not in a 141 school.

The 172S has a four-phase program. Each phase concentrates some some aspect of the airframe and engine, with some items being covered every time. If there are only three inspection phases mentioned, something's being missed, unless the operator has drawn up (and had approved) his own program.

Dan

I assume you are in a part 141 flight school, this will be routine for the DPE, he has probably rode in the aircraft before....
...which means the DPE understands the system, and will ask you about it as required by the PTS, and will know if your answers show genuine knowledge of the requirements or whether you're just blowing smoke -- so get that training from the maintenance chief before you go for the ride.

...which means the DPE understands the system, and will ask you about it as required by the PTS, and will know if your answers show genuine knowledge of the requirements or whether you're just blowing smoke -- so get that training from the maintenance chief before you go for the ride.

I'm good with that, he should know all there is to know about the maintenance of the aircraft he flys, I was merely pointing out that the Examiner probably knows the aircraft and its simply a BTDT exercise for him.
He may fail the student, but not the aircraft under a continous maintenance program, by a A&P-IA.

OBTW what happens when there is no DOM?

Last edited:
What's a "DOM" - Director of Maintenance?

yes..

Some flight schools will contract their maintenance out to other shops. you would never get to talk to the A&P-IA who signed off the phase.

Have your CFI point out the schools certificate that will direct who is responsible for what.

might be fun to see if your CFI knows why the aircraft is on a continuous maintenance plan.

Last edited:
yes..

Some flight schools will contract their maintenance out to other shops. you would never get to talk to the A&P-IA who signed off the phase.

Have your CFI point out the schools certificate that will direct who is responsible for what.

might be fun to see if your CFI knows why the aircraft is on a continuous maintenance plan.

It's Part 61, so no certificate I don't think. Maintenance is performed at the field. CFI is new to the school, so he seemed a little unsure himself . . .

Thanks to everyone for their input. It confirmed my gut feeling not just to let it slide.

Good luck on your checkride, Ted!!

We look forward to reading about your experience and the photo of that perma-grim plastered on your face!

Still thursday this week? Weather looks good!

I know there has been a lot of change and turnover at the field lately, but Tom is the best to talk to if you can get a minute with him. James may be able to help you out too.

Back