Sikorsky S-39 002.jpg
    656.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Sikorsky S-39 004.jpg
    Sikorsky S-39 004.jpg
    659.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Sikorsky S-39 005.jpg
    Sikorsky S-39 005.jpg
    658.4 KB · Views: 15
I'm pretty sure thats the award winning Sikorsky. I think I saw it at OSH in 2008, it had all sorts of visitors and plaques.

Someone here I'm sure knows more, but definitely somethign special about this plane. Either the first sea plane Sikorsky made, first sea plane, or first plane made by Sikorsky. Something along those lines.

Yeah I think that's the twin to the Johynson Wax replica plane. It's such a neat plane, but why did they have to put such a fugly paint job on it????

Yeah I think that's the twin to the Johynson Wax replica plane. It's such a neat plane, but why did they have to put such a fugly paint job on it????

More like a younger sister. The Johnson Wax airplane was an S-38, a twin. The S-39 was essentially a smaller, single-engine S-38.

The fugly paint job was put on for authenticity. It's a replica of an S-39 that was used to explore Africa along with an S-38 that had a zebra stripe paint job. Both aircraft have appeared at AirVenture.

Last edited:
And the original planes belonged to Martin and Osa Johnson. For photos and the story read Osa Johnson's "I Married Adventure". One of the planes (I think it was the single) was also used in Borneo. Quite a book.

John

Back