Check out these kids.

Geez.

Remarkable.

Neil piert just went awe sh........ Then started seeing if he was eligible for retirement. Kids got skills and gonna make it!

Wish I was half that coordinated some days. It is impressive by any measure even if he is regurgitating, now whether he could actually do that if you just put the music in front of him........

Not everyone needs music or reads music. My dad taught himself how to play drums. He played in many bands, he even sat in with the OutLaws when they came through OKC many years ago.

Not everyone needs music or reads music. My dad taught himself how to play drums. He played in many bands, he even sat in with the OutLaws when they came through OKC many years ago.

No, they don't. My point was simply that it is two different skill sets.

Cheating? Bro, do you even drum? :rolleyes2:

Aye sir! Did Neil use double on those parts? If he did, my bad. I use a single when I play this song. I have a double as well (iron cobra), probably go for a demon drive soon.

I musician should study music theory and the history of music to fully appreciate it. My opinion.

Yes, including the rather common play-by-ear methods used nearly exclusively in early Jazz, Zydeco, Klezmer, and hundreds of other folk traditions.

Not being able to read music is very limiting, but it's not equivalent to musicianship. In some ways, it can interfere. Improvised jazz solos done by the numbers are boring.

You don't make a good blues solo by repeating to yourself "I IV I I IV IV I I V IV I I" (or one of several variations), or by learning a "blues scale." You do it by listening.

Last edited:
Fake books are just that. Fake

Umm, you haven't used one, have you.

The word comes from "faking it." A fake book has melody and chords and nothing else. Generally filled with standards of one sort or another. The most common one is the Real Book, which reportedly grew out of Berklee in Boston (and had questionable legality until recently, so the origin is murky).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Book

Last edited:
Aye sir! Did Neil use double on those parts? If he did, my bad. I use a single when I play this song. I have a double as well (iron cobra), probably go for a demon drive soon.

I have not played in a long time, but Rush was my #1 band to play to. Poison was #2 and Joirney #3.

Niel's own words from an interview:

CI: Why do you use the same size double bass drums instead of two different size drums to achieve two different bass voices?

NP: I don't know. I can't see the point of it really. I'm not looking for different sounds. I don't use bass drums for beats or anything like that. My double bass drums are basically for use with fills. I don't like them to be used in rhythms. I like them to spice up a fill or create a certain accent. Many drummers say anything you can do with two feet, can be achieved with one. That just isn't true. I can anticipate a beat with both bass drums. That is something I learned from Tommy Aldridge of the Pat Travers Band. He has a really neat style with the bass drums. Instead of doing triplets with his tom toms first and then the bass drums, which is the conventional way, he learned how to do it the other way, so that the bass drums are anticipated.

Umm, you haven't used one, have you.

The word comes from "faking it." A fake book has melody and chords and nothing else. Generally filled with standards of one sort or another. The most common one is the Real Book, which reportedly grew out of Berklee in Boston (and had questionable legality until recently, so the origin is murky).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Book

I'm sure I used one at sometime. I played sax from 5th grade through college. I almost made a career but didn't get a music scholarship.

4Rgzm.jpg

Back