Check out my pawn shop load bank

3393RP

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
3393RP
I've been hitting pawn shops for over forty years, and the variety of stuff found in them is almost without limit. This is a good example. I spotted this homemade DC load bank at a shop in Plano. I was pretty surprised to see it. I had to own it...how many people do you know with a micro load bank? :D

I paid $20 for it.

It's pretty neat...has step load switches, an ammeter, and a voltmeter. There's also a cooling fan mounted on top of the enclosure.

Obviously due to the small capacity its usefulness is limited, but it works great for assessing the health of the batteries in various small UPS units around the house. I have also used it to check the starting batteries on electric start equipment around the shop like the Toro walk behind mower, a 7 kW generator, and my steam cleaner/pressure washer. I can also check the batteries on my mother-in-law's four wheel electric Go-Go scooter.

I love hitting the pawn shops...there's always something that everyone else has ignored which is a good deal. I avoid the big chains like Cash America, small owner operated stores are great. With the relationships I have established at several local shops I always get a good deal.

A lot of people have negative experiences at pawn shops, and will be quick to tell you the prices are a rip off. That's true in some cases. You have to know what you're buying and how much its worth. The smartphone has revolutionized the ability to get the best deal. You can check the retail price on something while you're in the shop.

I've found that name brand tools in blow-molded cases are priced at the same level a mechanic will get off the truck. People see that nice case and the name, they start thinking way too fast.

Here's my score...for $20 I think it was a good one.

27191864016_b62eab083b.jpg

You'll note that the load in this photo is 20 amps while the switch selection suggests it should be 25. But it's close. Heck, it's an EAB. :D :D

27191867586_9c4a655199.jpg

Put a digital multimeter in line and see how accurate it is! Or is the needle against the high peg? lol

I might replace the ammeter with an analog 0-50A piece. I haven't opened it up yet to see how its wired.

A 48 X 29 X 21 mm electronic combination 100 volt/50 amp meter with a shunt is just $9.90 on Amazon.

Who paid $495 for a Fluke 8020a in the 80s like I did?

It's amazing how cheap electronic stuff is now.

519w%2BhTdzHL.jpg

Last edited:
Back