Check out in newer DA20C1 vs Old Skyhawk

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
I am planning to check out in a DA20C1 so I can fly a lower cost plane that can still heft my wife and I. Cost is a bit more than $80 hr. I was at PTW today, and found they have a Skyhawk for rent there for $83 hr. The four seats of the Skyhawk would be really nice, since I wouldn't HAVE to take turns between Cathy and Sean, unless I really just wanted to fly with one of them. BUT, the Skyhawk is old, a 1975 with almost 8700 hrs. It looks good, but you can see the age. The Diamonds are nearly new, and look it, as well as being nice and tight, and not 30 years old. My wife is a little jumpy about some of the older planes. I do know that I wouldn't feel comfortable making extended trips over the mountains in the older planes when I have new Skyhawks handy for just that. Which would ya'll check out in? Gotta choose one or the other, can't do both this month.

BTW, that price for the Skyhawk includes insurance. Like Wings, all I'm on the hook for is $2500 deductible in the case of an accident. This is attractive to me, because I could forgo the renter's insurance that flying out of some other airports requires me to carry, though that would mean no more Tigers for me if I don't carry renter's insurance :( The policy is posted at PTW, and renters are named insured on their planes. I actually need to double check that at Wings.

In my limted experience, it isn't how old the plane is, its how well its taken care of.

Our club plane is a '73 C172M with the 180HP Penn Yann upgrade. The paint's cracked in spots, but the plane is in great shape. I don't hesitate to take my wife up in it - even to Pittsburgh over the "mountains".

Age in a well maintained airplane is like well aged whiskey or wine - it just keeps getting better. :)

Joe Williams said:
BTW, that price for the Skyhawk includes insurance. Like Wings, all I'm on the hook for is $2500 deductible in the case of an accident. This is attractive to me, because I could forgo the renter's insurance that flying out of some other airports requires me to carry, though that would mean no more Tigers for me if I don't carry renter's insurance :( The policy is posted at PTW, and renters are named insured on their planes. I actually need to double check that at Wings.
I agree with Chuck regarding the plane condition.

Regarding the insurance: you've GOT non-owner insurance, right, Joe? It's more than just covering the plane you're flying. It's also about liability. I realize $450 (my current cost) is a chunk of change but don't shortchange this one. You're not only protecting yourself, you're protecting your wife and kid with any action against your estate if something happens.

(I don't know what you're insurance status is. Those are just my personal thoughts)

Joe: You can drive your self crazy deciding what to fly! AOPAs' flight training once suggested to try as much as you can. OK idea if you have mucho$$. My DPE for my IR ride said to fly one plane and know it inside and out. This may be a little limiting.

I fly the Archer and the Tiger. I will check out in the DA40 when they get it. but I won't go to nuts trying to fly everything that's out there until I get more hours under my belt and more proficient. Pick a plane that will accomplish 80% of your missions and pick another that is just plain ole fun.

Of course do the math as well Tiger: $83 +$15surcharge + $5.00 Landingfee + Turnpike tolls

Wings 172 $89.99 + $12 fuel surcharge

PTW 172

N10 172

DA20

yada yada yada

Look I love to fly the tigers but all told it 1/2 hour to 40 min to get to KPNE I can drive 2 mi and go to KOLM. Convince says a lot. Don't get me wrong I'll still fly the Tigers but The Archers are right next door. You get the drift. Plain and simple what plane is going to get you in the air the MOST often?

Joe, the PA28's I used to rent were built in the 60's and 70's which the same kind of hours on them (7-10K). As long as the maintenance is done properly, all AD's complied with, all the required inspection steps done, the airplane should be fine. If you're concerned, you might have an independent mechanic inspect the log books (I can recommend one here at N99 if that helps).

The DA20 is not a great plane for travel -- not much room for baggage or people (though it is about as fast as my Archer). On the other hand, I LOVE flying them -- it's a very responsive airplane, with great visibility. If you think there's any possiblity you will move on to fly DA40's, then I'd do the DA20 checkout.

RotaryWingBob said:
The DA20 is not a great plane for travel -- not much room for baggage or people (though it is about as fast as my Archer). On the other hand, I LOVE flying them -- it's a very responsive airplane, with great visibility. If you think there's any possiblity you will move on to fly DA40's, then I'd do the DA20 checkout.

Bob, I gotta disagree with ya on this one. I previously have owned both the Grumman Tiger and its big brother the Cougar twin and now own a new DA-20. The DA-20 with the Contential is just as fast as my Tiger, much faster than the Archer. It ain't just a trainer anymore. True, luggage space is nil, only enough for an extended weekend duffle, but it is fast AND cheap to both own and fly. It is a fantastic cross country A/C, I ordeered mine with the S-TEC auto pilot and GNS 530. It lets me keep IFR current and if I need to go IFR I borrow my buddy's DA-40. At 5 gph and low insurance rates for me it is the perfect aircraft.

C-1 PILOT said:
Bob, I gotta disagree with ya on this one. I previously have owned both the Grumman Tiger and its big brother the Cougar twin and now own a new DA-20. The DA-20 with the Contential is just as fast as my Tiger, much faster than the Archer. It ain't just a trainer anymore. True, luggage space is nil, only enough for an extended weekend duffle, but it is fast AND cheap to both own and fly. It is a fantastic cross country A/C, I ordeered mine with the S-TEC auto pilot and GNS 530. It lets me keep IFR current and if I need to go IFR I borrow my buddy's DA-40. At 5 gph and low insurance rates for me it is the perfect aircraft.

Maybe I didn't say it very well -- I really love flying the Diamonds! If If I were going to buy a new airplane it sure as hell wouldn't be a Piper or Cessna -- it would be one of the new composites.

I really LIKE the DA20 -- it's fun to fly!

Back