Check my math

benyflyguy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
benyflyguy
Not sure why I am stuck on this or possibly trying to find a harder way to do it.
I have a list of times in seconds. Best score is lowest time. I want to assign the lowest time a score of 100 and every higher time a lower score based on the percentage they did worse. I have been just merely dividing the best time by the higher time and *100. Example best time is 100 seconds and my time is 120 seconds, person with best time scores 100points and I score 83.3. But as I look at it I’m questioning if that is right?
For something that is point based where highest points wins and lower points is less the percentage is easier to calculate.
I keep staring at the paper and playing on different ways to look at and can’t come up with anything.
many thoughts!

I'd do it like this:
100*(1 - (time - lowestTime)/lowestTime) or 100*(2 - time/lowestTime)
So in your example:
100*(1 - (120 - 100)/100) = 80

Not sure how you want to handle the case where the time is more than 200 -- the score becomes negative.

If you want the slowest time to be zero you can do this:
100*(1-(time-fastestTime)/(slowestTime-fastestTime))

I'd do it like this:
100*(1 - (time - lowestTime)/lowestTime) or 100*(2 - time/lowestTime)
So in your example:
100*(1 - (120 - 100)/100) = 80

Not sure how you want to handle the case where the time is more than 200 -- the score becomes negative.
Don’t want to see a negative but with linear stuff going this way that is a real possibility. I will look at the data from previous years to see if that is a possibility though. Fortunately that is unlikely.
my perversion of the math kept the scores closer.

Back