Cheapest way to commute via plane

I think we all agree: You can't use the words "cheap" and "flying" in the same sentence unless it is in the negative sense.
Example: There is no such thing as cheap flying.

HMMMM. I think we should pin a thread of flying oxymorons.

I don't know about the oxy but I've seen some flying morons. :rolleyes1:

I like the idea though. Is this one?
I was going to fly today but the conditions were clearly IFR.

Last edited:
My neighbor commutes 10 nm every day in his Bonanza. We live at a fly-in community, so he simply has to pull the plane out, pre-flight, fire it up, taxi, run-up, and go. It's a 5 minute flight. He keeps a car at the other end, and has a 5-10 minute drive to his office. If he drives, it's about 30 minutes. Is it practical? I would have to say no. Would I do it? You're damn right I would! The fun of flying to and from work would be too much to pass up.

Smaller No N.jpg Depends entirely on road arrangement and traffic. I can to the gold rush country in 25 minutes but takes a couple hours by road. Also commuted from Sac Valley to Hayward for a year and, door to door, in the morning was about the same time but coming home was WAY better. Did it on a weekly basis and Friday the drive could easily go over 2+ hours. 23 minutes in the air. Best part is avoiding, what I've come to feel, is a miserable time spent behind the wheel avoiding all the other Jack A's cutting in and out just begging for a wreck, of which there are many on the radio every day. Instead you kind of develop a smile heading to the airport and a real giggle looking down at the traffic!

Last edited:
Back