Cheapest route to IFR panel

Renting sounds like the
1) Rent a plane that is IFR capable with a Nav computer.
2) You have a space problem. Rip out your half of your panel and replace with a G3 7 inch display with a remote Transponder and a Remote Nav Com
3) Don't do the second option, do the first.
Sounds good:lol:
Probably the best option is to do all training I can and then rent a Cessna or something to finish it up. Was originally planning to do it in the Sling 2 but it was just recently sold

That panel looks decently equipped for VFR, but it doesn’t look to be easily or inexpensive to modify for IFR. I think renting a plane for your training as opposed to modifying that panel for IFR would put you money ahead.

Find/buy a Narco Nav 112 or 122. It's a VOR/ILS/GS all in one. I did this in a Warrior years ago.

I have a NAV122 in my 140 and it works great. It is indeed a good idea being that it is self contained. Where would he put it though? The 140 also has a NAV121, same thing with no glide slope. With two indicators you could fly a DME arc with raw data, but it would still be good to have a DME unless the DPE would let you use an EFB or a portable GPS for that function.

Last edited:
Can you still land it traditionally and taxi with the yoke? Just wondering.
Still steers with the yoke, it’s best to still crab for landing to prevent lifting a wing or having the yoke turned to far and resulting in nose gear not being straight and vering off the runway

Do your instrument training in an IFR-capable plane so you can fly in IMC. Make sure your CFII will train you in IMC. If not, find a different instructor. No substitute for the real thing.

Back