Cheapest IFR Panel - Starting from nothing?

I don't get the need to replace the basic pitot-static instruments (ASI, VSI, Altimeter) with something electronic, especially if you're doing a budget build. Even project planes usually still have them in the panel and they rarely need repair. Ditto for the engine gauges.

C.

I don't get the need to replace the basic pitot-static instruments (ASI, VSI, Altimeter) with something electronic, especially if you're doing a budget build. Even project planes usually still have them in the panel and they rarely need repair. Ditto for the engine gauges.

C.

In this hypothetical - I was discussing a Cessna 150 that had been looted for its engine and panel when someone was building an experimental. I turned the plane down because I don't have a place to work on it (and I think it was sold for parts), but looking back I am curious how much it cost vs how much it would be worth.

In this case, I was offered the plane in 2019 when a good flying 150 was selling for $20K, and a running O-200 was selling for $15K. I don't think it would have been worth it to buy and fix it. But when I see $40K 150s on Barnstormers I question my past decisions.

Find an A&P/IA willing to let you work under supervision. Most of the work involved is studying documentation and building harnesses. Plenty of homebuilders successfully install IFR avionics packages. The only difference is the signature at the end.

Back