Cheapest Health Insurance (CALIFORNIA)

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
Hello,

I cannot afford to keep paying almost $500 per month for Kaiser Permanente.

My work does not have any benefits.

I realize it is dangerous to go without but I need to pay rent.

Can anyone recommend a CHEAP provider? I can take care of certain "ladies" yearly visits / medicines through a women's clinic in town that will allow me to pay cash - so this medical insurance coverage would be mostly emergencies only and in fact might never be used.

My goal within the next year or two will be to find a job with medical benefits but for now I need an option to stay covered but on the cheap.

Kimberly

You just got yourself an expensive hobby. Time to upgrade jobs.

You just got yourself an expensive hobby. Time to upgrade jobs.

Thanks but I was looking for advice for RIGHT NOW (in case I get sick). I know I can't afford to fly on my current salary. I have found a second job and am going tonight after work. Don't know how long it will last but after tonight I may end up being able to pay off Saturday's flight.

Then I'll have to work to pay off last night's flight and this weekend's flight.

Saving $500 per month on health insurance is like getting a raise (sort of). So I want to explore my options.

Kimberly

Now for a productive response: Lots of options from $80/month or so. $500 is a waste of money.

Assuming you are healthy and have no pre-existing conditions, I would just get a private plan with for example Blue Shield CA (blueshieldca.com). Depending on what kind of co-payments, deductibles, etc. you want, last time I checked, their cheapest PPO plans were about $80-160/month.

If you do have pre-existing conditions, you'll have to wait until 2014 for health reform to finally kick in. But in the meantime, you can go with PCIP (www.pcip.ca.gov), which is a state-sponsored plan that has basically the same effect. All pre-existing conditions are covered, enrollment is guaranteed, and I hear it's really a well-run program. According to the premium table on the website, the monthly premium for you would be $237.

-Felix

Last edited:
Now for a productive response: Lots of options from $80/month or so. $500 is a waste of money.

Assuming you are healthy and have no pre-existing conditions, I would just get a private plan with for example Blue Cross CA. Depending on what kind of co-payments, deductibles, etc. you want, last time I checked, their cheapest plans were about $80-160/month.

If you do have pre-existing conditions, you'll have to wait until 2014 for health reform to finally kick in. But in the meantime, you can go with PCIP (www.pcip.ca.gov), which is a state-sponsored plan that has basically the same effect. All pre-existing conditions are covered, enrollment is guaranteed, and I hear it's really a well-run program. According to the premium table on the website, the monthly premium for you would be $237.

-Felix

Thank you Felix! Much appreciated. Better than saying "get another job" (Sorry Jesse, easier said than done)

I carried catastrophic coverage ($5,000 deductible) up until last year -- I haven't been "fully" covered since I left college. I figure at 35, the warranty is used up, so I joined up this year. Obama's proposed taxation on the self-employed and underinsured was a motivator. (see, social engineering and incentives do work)

I have a local urgent care clinic which I used and loved, and I was always able to secure large discounts for cash (appx 75% off). As a guy, though, there is very little "preventative" stuff that I actually do, so this works out -- usually it's on the order of "can you reattach this doc? kthx"

catastrophic is inexpensive. Certainly compared to Kaiser, who I have now and enjoy.

$0.02

- Mike

I carried catastrophic coverage ($5,000 deductible) up until last year -- I haven't been "fully" covered since I left college. I figure at 35, the warranty is used up, so I joined up this year. Obama's proposed taxation on the self-employed and underinsured was a motivator. (see, social engineering and incentives do work)

I have a local urgent care clinic which I used and loved, and I was always able to secure large discounts for cash (appx 75% off). As a guy, though, there is very little "preventative" stuff that I actually do, so this works out -- usually it's on the order of "can you reattach this doc? kthx"

catastrophic is inexpensive. Certainly compared to Kaiser, who I have now and enjoy.

$0.02

- Mike

Thanks, Mike.

Girls have "stuff" to take care of and "prescriptions" if they don't want to start a family. I called a local business and got that out of the way / all figured out. Their rates are reasonable and since I was already spending about $500 per month I don't mind paying them cash once a year. Talk about savings! I can't belive I've been paying this much for so long. I am very healthy, rarely get sick, and have not been to any doctors (only dentist).

Kimberly

Do you have a degree?

If so, and you're interested in changing careers, you might want to PM me. I just might have a lead for you....very good benefits, and pay.

Do you have a degree?

If so, and you're interested in changing careers, you might want to PM me. I just might have a lead for you....very good benefits, and pay.

Hell, I'll go for that deal! :D

Argh. I wanted health care answers!
You should have realized by now that 50% of people here have nothing of substance to contribute :) The other overarching issue with health insurance in particular is that the vast majority is just ignorant how it works right now....see all this blah-blah about taxation and such.

I meant Blue Shield earlier and not Blue Cross. Anthem BC is an option as well although I don't have any first hand knowledge. I wouldn't go with a plan that has extremely high out of pocket maximums and deductibles in your case. It's cheap, but IF something were to happen - not exactly unlikely with traffic accidents and all that - you can be out tons of money. It's not just about deductibles. I would start with Blue Shield.

Beware of "cheapie" health plans. Be sure that whatever you buy counts toward "continuous creditable coverage" under hipaa. If it doesn't, and you are diagnosed with something or are injured under the term of the policy, when the policy expires you will not be re- insured, and will be well and truly screwed with a pre- existing condition when looking for other coverage, at least until 2014.
The magic words are "continuous creditable coverage". Lots of " plans" aren't.
Good luck.

But in the meantime, you can go with PCIP (www.pcip.ca.gov), which is a state-sponsored plan that has basically the same effect. All pre-existing conditions are covered, enrollment is guaranteed, and I hear it's really a well-run program. According to the premium table on the website, the monthly premium for you would be $237.

How long has that been around? I really could have used that a few years ago.

-Felix

What a great plan. This is what I've been hunting for for some of my employees -- we're too small to be a group, and some of our people and/or their families have pre-existing conditions, which is a headache to deal with. You just saved us a few grand I think. :)

You should have realized by now that 50% of people here have nothing of substance to contribute :)

So does that make you the pot, or the kettle? I'm confused.

Thanks, Mike.

Girls have "stuff" to take care of and "prescriptions" if they don't want to start a family. I called a local business and got that out of the way / all figured out. Their rates are reasonable and since I was already spending about $500 per month I don't mind paying them cash once a year. Talk about savings! I can't belive I've been paying this much for so long. I am very healthy, rarely get sick, and have not been to any doctors (only dentist).

Kimberly

its called generics and they're about 10 bucks a month with no insurance coverage

yeah $500 is absurd

I do appreciate the idea that you think that the residents of this board are all knowing but perhaps this was not the best forum to ask a question about health insurance for a specific state. This is a pilot board, ask us about flying and we are likely to give you a better answer.

I do appreciate the idea that you think that the residents of this board are all knowing but perhaps this was not the best forum to ask a question about health insurance for a specific state. This is a pilot board, ask us about flying and we are likely to give you a better answer.

nah...we're about 50% on the airplane stuff too...

Chris

nah...we're about 50% on the airplane stuff too...

On a good day. And I've noticed a substantial decrease in that number over the past few months.

United Healthcare http://www.uhc.com/individuals_families.htm
Blue Cross http://www.individualhealthquotes.c...hield.jsp?lst=bw&link_id=1000&s_tnt=16045:1:0

If you don't have pre-existing conditions and are less than 30 you should be able to get pretty decent coverage (without maternity) for about $280/month. Add Maternity and you get $350. $2000 deductible and some pharmacy benefits.

Really just to keep you solvent and get the pre-agreed write downs from the hospital(s).

Thanks, but unfortunately I'm 32. This is good information though.

its called generics and they're about 10 bucks a month with no insurance coverage

yeah $500 is absurd

They don't make mine generic but I found a place who will sell it for $40. So $40 per month is a lot better than $500 premium per month plus $50 for 3 months supply.

Thanks John but to be honest it was either post this on POA or use Google search. Several people here have already provided good information and prices to expect. This will help me in my shopping.

Thanks John but to be honest it was either post this on POA or use Google search. Several people here have already provided good information and prices to expect. This will help me in my shopping.

I was hoping you were going to say " But I thought you guys knew everything :) "

While I would verify any info you get on a webboard, and I'm sure you will, we do have a varied community with a lot of expertise here. You can take what Dr. Bruce says to the bank though.

There may also be group policy plans you can join that are less expensive, but insurance is certainly not my area of expertise.

I have an employer funded (100%) gold-plated plan. Pretty sure my schedule is open on Saturday if you wanna run out and get married.

(Oh please, like the rest of you trolls weren't thinkin' it!)

Back