Cheapest ground school curriculum? (Memphis)

nealius

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
nealius
Hello everyone. Right now I'm about to start working on a M.A. in teaching English as a foreign language and then I'll be sent of to Japan, where I hope to teach Aviation English. On top of the fact that a PPL would be nice on that resume, I've always wanted to fly so I've been looking at getting my PPL.

I live in Memphis and it looks like my only two options are Downtown Aviation and Air Venture. I checked out Downtown Aviation and their solo/dual rates look reasonable to me, but their ground school rates sounded pretty pricey to me. I looked online and saw that the average for ground school should be around $200, but at Downtown Aviation it's $35 per hour for 20 or so hours ($700 total). The only other option they offered was a $360 self-study course, but I learn much better in a classroom environment.

I haven't checked out Air Venture yet, but I have a hunch they will cost around the same, if not more.

The only other possibility is the Memphis Soaring Society, but that's a 1.5 hour drive from me, and instruction is only on Saturdays, which I really can't make with my schedule, unless I happened to live closer.

Are there any other less expensive ground schools around, or any other methods that will prepare me?

Thanks

It's pretty hard to beat free.

The FAA has all the relevant publications on their website, downloadable as PDFs. Start with the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and the Airplane Flying Handbook. Then go on to weather and the Aeronautical Information Manual.

Formal ground school is not required. It may be a better option for people who have trouble learning from a book. Your CFI can approve a "home study course" for use preparing for the written exam.

But the best thing to do is contact your CFI.

I actually have a Jeppesen "Private Pilot Manual" and was wondering about working that into some kind of self-study program, but I'm confused about having to have CFI approval for self-study. From talking to the manager at Downtown Aviation it seemed like the only thing they would approve is that $360 package. Is approval mandatory before taking the exam?

1) there is no endorsement required to study the knowledge exam materials. Being told otherwise and that you must purchase this kit of stuff before you can start studying on your own (aka no instructor helping you) needs to be a warning signal.

2) an endorsement to sit for the written exam is required. Often this is provided once the instructor is satisfied you know what you need to know to pass. Home study courses like Sportys, Gleim, Kings, etc, provide this as part of their packages.

Last edited:
For the $360 package that Downtown is offering, what exactly are you getting? Books only? Pilot supplies? Carry bag? Instructor time?

I used the King course, and they provided the endorsement when I finished. It wasn't free, but not too high.

2) an endorsement to sit for the written exam is required. Often this is provided once the instructor is satisfied you know what you need to know to pass. Home study courses like Sportys, Gleim, Kings, etc, provide this as part of their packages.

Should I not do one of the brand-name packages, how do I "satisfy" the instructor? It's almost as if I need to pass a test that I can't take unless I've already passed it. Seems like a Catch-22.

For the $360 package that Downtown is offering, what exactly are you getting? Books only? Pilot supplies? Carry bag? Instructor time?

I don't recall the brand, but it was a carry bag with a book, a DVD set, logbook, and E6B. No instructor time.

Should I not do one of the brand-name packages, how do I "satisfy" the instructor? It's almost as if I need to pass a test that I can't take unless I've already passed it. Seems like a Catch-22.

The "brand" name home study packages usually have a component that requires you to take a practice exam or two. When you post an adequate grade, you are permitted to print out anomie thing that acts as the endorsement. The testing c enter will accept this and permit you to sit for the exam.

I don't recall the brand, but it was a carry bag with a book, a DVD set, logbook, and E6B. No instructor time.

$360 then sounds like the are taking a typical kit and adding in some profit.

I purchased the Gleim kit for $150 and it had the bag, E6B, all the books required for the entire training (knowledge, flight maneuvers, FAR/AIM, CD-ROM with testing software, plotter, and a few other items)

The FAA pubs are free, but you get what you pay for, they are like reading a yellow pages, dry and crappy.

I'd go with the King school, I've never had a student of mine fail a written after using their program, which is why I recommend them over the other programs.

If you prefer a classroom setting, see if a local community college (grants 2-year associates degrees) has an aviation course. They're typically much less expensive, will give the classroom experience, and will give the instructor signoff. You can then just have your flight instructor from whichever school you choose sign the back of your student pilot certificate when you're ready to solo.

You can pass the knowledge exam on your own. You may still want to get a self-study exam guide for the explicit purpose of passing the test, as opposed to learning the knowledge required. Note that those are really two separate goals, and both are required.

Show him/her/it the results of practice exams and/or spend an hour chatting about the stuff either on the ground or while you are plodding around the pattern with nothing else to do until you get to the flare.

I'll take a look at those Gleim and King courses. They sound a bit more reasonable.

Unfortunately the only thing related to aviation at my local community college is aviation maintenance.

Your instructor will know if you're deficient there. You may get a brief oral quiz, but I doubt it. I think you're under the impression ground school is done first. This is not common, and not really advisible for the private pilot certificate. It is usually done at the same time as flight training. The written exam is not needed for solo (though sometimes instructors do require it, just to get some forward momentum). You don't need it until you're ready for the practical exam.

If the instructor won't sign off on anything but their course, you need an honest instructor.

Not everyone learns the same way. I learn best from a book because I can pace it how I need, something difficult to do in a group class (unless everyone has the same issue), or on a video. Having said that, I did need one video lesson, to get crosswind landing technique down. That was the King takeoffs and landings video, and the demonstrations were key.

Your learning technique may be different.

I disagree that the FAA books are like the yellow pages. There is a lot of good stuff in there, just without all the corny Rod Machado jokes. They do read like textbooks, because that's what they are.

Last edited:
I'll take a look at those Gleim and King courses. They sound a bit more reasonable.

Unfortunately the only thing related to aviation at my local community college is aviation maintenance.

Don't overlook the ASA books: www.asa2fly.com. They offer test prep books, test prep video courses, etc etc, and you get an instructor signoff after satisfactorily completing their practice tests.

Bob Gardner

My son and another of my students went through http://www.ascentgroundschool.com/ and both passed written with good scores. They provided the endorsement when done. My son was just about to take his test when his 90 day subscription ran out and they comp'd him 30 more days to finish up.

Disclaimer: No relationship to vendor....just two good experiences.

Your instructor will know if you're deficient there. You may get a brief oral quiz, but I doubt it. I think you're under the impression ground school is done first. This is not common, and not really advisible for the private pilot certificate. It is usually done at the same time as flight training. The written exam is not needed for solo (though sometimes instructors do require it, just to get some forward momentum). You don't need it until you're ready for the practical exam.

If the instructor won't sign off on anything but their course, you need an honest instructor.

Not everyone learns the same way. I learn best from a book because I can pace it how I need, something difficult to do in a group class (unless everyone has the same issue), or on a video. Having said that, I did need one video lesson, to get crosswind landing technique down. That was the King takeoffs and landings video, and the demonstrations were key.

Your learning technique may be different.

I disagree that the FAA books are like the yellow pages. There is a lot of good stuff in there, just without all the corny Rod Machado jokes. They do read like textbooks, because that's what they are.

True...the book work makes more sense when you're applying it but don't procrastinate too long. I generally don't let students move into x-country phase without the written complete. Training moves so rapidly once you're to that point that the written ends up being a huge obstacle to license completion.

I've had to gently hound one of my students for almost two months to finish her written. She finally did last week with a 92% and we are back flying. Another student who started his training after her but hit the books right away has had his license for more than a month now. Hopefully she'll be done before Christmas.

Nealius: Are you doing a 141 or 61 at Downtown Aviation? I went strictly Part 61, so the Part 141 may be stricter about things like the written. I like Downtown Aviation, just from past experiences. Are they closer to you than Olive Branch (maybe Airventure?).

Downtown Aviation is definitely closer to me. I didn't realize they had Part 61, the only thing they advertise and talk about is the 141.

I know a CFI that (I think) works Part 61 but you may have to have your own plane. I don't think he has one.

Downtown Aviation is definitely closer to me. I didn't realize they had Part 61, the only thing they advertise and talk about is the 141.

They can do it all part 61, I did all of my stuff with them 61 style. I would suggest Ben W. or Andy B. for a good instructor, though I'm sure everyone there is good. Andy did my private, Ben my instrument.

Thanks. I'll give them a buzz next week and ask about the Part 61 stuff.

After looking at the kits, I recalled that the one they were selling at Downtown Aviation was King's Cessna, Cleared for Takeoff kit. I found some used kits on eBay for less than $100, but I read there are issues with registration if you buy second-hand. This stuff is as much of a money-grabbing scheme as college textbooks these days :mad2:

Last edited:
The traveling weekend courses aren't too bad, I did one a hundred or so years ago, I think Orville taught it,:rolleyes: my son used one this spring, a local CFI that teaches for one of the weekend companies. I used the Gleim book for my IR, and got a 90 something.:D

The traveling weekend courses aren't too bad, I did one a hundred or so years ago, I think Orville taught it,:rolleyes: my son used one this spring, a local CFI that teaches for one of the weekend companies. I used the Gleim book for my IR, and got a 90 something.:D

But note that those courses are geared specifically to the passing test. They do not cover everything you need from a ground course.

Does anyone know if I will be able to use one of the King courses second-hand? I found a good deal on one but I need to get it within the next 12 hours....

Does anyone know if I will be able to use one of the King courses second-hand? I found a good deal on one but I need to get it within the next 12 hours....

The basics haven't changed much in the last 30+ years, so I suspect it will be just fine. Most regulatory things have been consistent for a decade or so. If it's a good deal, go for it.

Don't overlook the ASA books: www.asa2fly.com. They offer test prep books, test prep video courses, etc etc, and you get an instructor signoff after satisfactorily completing their practice tests.

Bob Gardner

For the OP, Bob's "Complete Pilot" series of books and his "Say Again, Please..." book on radio comms are very worth adding to your aviation library. They can be found at www.asa2fly.com.

Looks like I'm almost all set to get started. Thanks guys.

No worries... We loooove spending other people's money :D

Well, I got a good deal on the kit, and I can watch the videos on the DVDs just fine, but the software on the first two disks doesn't like Windows 7 very much. I'll have to figure out how to get it to my no-DVD-drive netbook :p

Back