cheapest glideslope add-on ??

hindsight2020

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
hindsight2020
Hey folks,

Got a single nav/comm VOR/LOC indicator only. Tinkered with the idea of adding DME, but the installation costs discouraged me. Figured for the current setup, adding glideslope might be the best bang for the buck. Currently fly with a garmin 196, what an amazing SA tool and system-redundant those little tiny boxes are. I honestly prefer it to a panel mount GPS, legalities be damned. I digress.

At any rate, the radio is a slide-in replacement Narco for the original ARC cessna radios and the original wiring et al. So my options are either

1) an external G/S receiver (Cessna R-443B for instance) with a glideslope-capable indicator (Cessna? Collins? King?)
2) an all-in-one unit like the narco NAV-122 or
3) an indicator that internally contains a G/S receiver, like the KI-214.

My question is, will the King indicators be compatible with the original ARC-Cessna wiring back there, or are brands non-compatible across each other? Is there any savings in installation costs between all these options?

I'd love to throw 4) a KNS-80 in the thing, get the /I filing cape and go "direct w/ 196 backing it up *wink wink*" but I figure the DME and glideslope portions of that installation would put me beyond what I'm willing to invest in it.

At this point I rather have the extra cape of "precision approach" over the "non-precision plus" option afforded by having DME...I can get all the range information I care for enroute from the 196.

Thanks for any feedback! I love dreaming about throwing good money after bad, makes me forget about work. :D

Last edited:
Back