Cheapest FBO at HPN for a 172

Groundpounder

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Emerson Bigguns
I may need to fly to HPN this weekend, which FBO has the cheapest ramp/parking fee's? I'll be in a 172, and I won't need fuel.

I may need to fly to HPN this weekend, which FBO has the cheapest ramp/parking fee's? I'll be in a 172, and I won't need fuel.
Probably Panorama, that's where I go, but I'm not sure anyone has cheap ramp or parking fees - waived fees are the cheapest ones.

Not needing fuel is not the best way to find cheaper fees. It may be expensive at a KHPN but topping off with 10 or 12 gallons seems to waive some/all fees at many places. Doing the math may suggest there are some savings in buying fuel... and many places don't quibble over a minimum if you top off.

Was at HPN/Panorama the week before last. $25 fee waived with a 10 gallon purchase at $6.85 per gallon.

Even if you can get fuel for $5.35 per gallon, you'd be $10 ahead with the fuel.

I was concerned that I might not take the whole 10 gallons. The woman at the desk told me she'd still waive the fee with a top-off under 10 gallons. Probably depends on the person at the desk and how well her day was going.

If you're renting wet and your FBO won't allow 3rd party refueling, I guess you'll pay the ramp fee.

Was at HPN/Panorama the week before last. $25 fee waived with a 10 gallon purchase at $6.85 per gallon.

Even if you can get fuel for $5.35 per gallon, you'd be $10 ahead with the fuel.

I was concerned that I might not take the whole 10 gallons. The woman at the desk told me she'd still waive the fee with a top-off under 10 gallons. Probably depends on the person at the desk and how well her day was going.

If you're renting wet and your FBO won't allow 3rd party refueling, I guess you'll pay the ramp fee.

What kind of place doesn't allow "3rd party fueling" for their rentals? That would be ludicrous. Hopefully you don't want to fly further than a couple hundred NM! :)

What kind of place doesn't allow "3rd party fueling" for their rentals? That would be ludicrous. Hopefully you don't want to fly further than a couple hundred NM! :)

Many only allow credit for fuel purchased at the same rate or lower as their home field. Local fuel is $6.17/gal and you paid $6.45, but only get the credit for $6.17.

Many only allow credit for fuel purchased at the same rate or lower as their home field. Local fuel is $6.17/gal and you paid $6.45, but only get the credit for $6.17.

Oh sure. I've seen that a lot, but to outright "prohibit 3rd party fueling"? Never seen that.

I had a rental guy express shock when I turned in a fuel ticket that was higher than the local price. "You know we ONLY reimburse up to the local fuel price". "Yeah". "Well, why'd you buy fuel there?" "It was too far to push the plane back home.....".

The place I rented over the summer wouldn't pay for 3rd party refueling if you didn't need it. I think it was worded something like "we will not reimburse for fuel purchased to waive fees." If they saw that you used 2 hours of hobbs time and bought 10.0 gallons of fuel, when the airplane went out with 40 gallons, they'd probably suspect something was up.

Still, I'm not sure why they wouldn't let you fill up where fuel was cheaper than at the base.

The place I rented over the summer wouldn't pay for 3rd party refueling if you didn't need it. I think it was worded something like "we will not reimburse for fuel purchased to waive fees." If they saw that you used 2 hours of hobbs time and bought 10.0 gallons of fuel, when the airplane went out with 40 gallons, they'd probably suspect something was up.

Still, I'm not sure why they wouldn't let you fill up where fuel was cheaper than at the base.

Yes, that's a crock. They should have just limited the reimbursement rate to the local field price.

Penny wise, pound fuelish. My answer would be I needed the fuel to fill the empty space in my tanks. The only time I have too much fuel is when on fire. So what if a pilot topped off to avoid a ramp fee out? Do they really want to train customers to routinely take off with minimum fuel?

I wouldn't even be surprised if an FBO limited reimbursement to what they pay for fuel -- probably at least a few cents cheaper than the public price if they're doing any volume. Beyond that... :rolleyes:

Back