Cheap + STOL + 2 seats ?

You are correct sir. I found a VW powered Zenith that has piqued my interest. Along with the new kit from Sonex(or build my own) I can make a draw through turbo setup at about 25Lbs and get sea level MP up to 8000 on a STP day.

Which brings up another interesting question about LSA/SP. If I as a PPL holder want to operate a plane under LSA rules(no current medical), I am then operating as a SP I believe, and would be limited to the 10k' ceiling? Presuming the plane would go that high or higher? Is it an LSA limitation, or SP limitiation, or both, or either?

Correct, no medical and you are restricted to SP rules.

As for the turbo, you'll notice that aircraft systems are set up as blow through, not suck through. They do it with a trap door on the plenum box where it charges the carb so that if the turbo craps out, you can still draw air at atmospheric pressure.

As for the turbo, you'll notice that aircraft systems are set up as blow through, not suck through. They do it with a trap door on the plenum box where it charges the carb so that if the turbo craps out, you can still draw air at atmospheric pressure.

I've never seen a carbed plane with a turbo that blows through. Plenty of injected. I'm not going to blow through, that means fuel pumps, and pressure regulators, and complexity, and weight.

http://www.aeroconversions.com/

They are using a sealed compressor side and pulling through. In the event of a turbine failure, the MP is going to be about the same as with blow through, either/both are going to be bad. I like simple and low weight. The Aeroinjector is well thought of, and as long as I get the right turbine A/R trim, it should bolt on and run with little design work.

I've never seen a carbed plane with a turbo that blows through. Plenty of injected. I'm not going to blow through, that means fuel pumps, and pressure regulators, and complexity, and weight.

http://www.aeroconversions.com/

They are using a sealed compressor side and pulling through. In the event of a turbine failure, the MP is going to be about the same as with blow through, either/both are going to be bad. I like simple and low weight. The Aeroinjector is well thought of, and as long as I get the right turbine A/R trim, it should bolt on and run with little design work.

I had two of them, look at any of the Riley conversions on carbed engines, they all worked with the same plenum box blowing through the carb.

When the turbo seizes up on a suck through, you will make 25% power if you can keep it running at all.

I had two of them, look at any of the Riley conversions on carbed engines, they all worked with the same plenum box blowing through the carb.

When the turbo seizes up on a suck through, you will make 25% power if you can keep it running at all.

That's your example? The Riley turbo. Meh

If it dies, I land(STOL).

That's your example? The Riley turbo. Meh

If it dies, I land(STOL).

It worked well and the engineering was sufficient for an STC. Gale Banks also used plenum boxes that encased the entire carb, so there is another sample. It doesn't matter to me what you do, just giving you a data sample from what is in certified use and why.

I like simple. I like the way Monnett builds things, and designs stuff. If a Sonex would do the job, I'm tempted to go that route. The Zenith is much better STOL, and has a full VW engine, and direct drive.

The only way I would stick a prop on the end of an automotive crank, especially with a spacer, is to have a billet crank.

And even then,, I would not be comfortable..... IMHO..

A bell housing with a support bearing on the nose would be better, but I'd rather do a reduction drive on an auto engine. The piston diameters don't make sense for the low speed engines.

Last edited:
Me too......

Those auto engine conversions are usually built by idiots....:hairraise:.......;)

Your plane looks like a monster and would be fun to fly for sure.

That said for crossing unfriendly terrain or IMC or night, its just not the level of confidence I would need.

Look at those rotorway chopper crashes due to a belt drive.

Your plane looks like a monster and would be fun to fly for sure.

That said for crossing unfriendly terrain or IMC or night, its just not the level of confidence I would need.

Look at those rotorway chopper crashes due to a belt drive.

Every Robinson is a belt drive as well.

Back