Cheap Planes - Flying - Non-Exp, Non-UL

Len Lanetti

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Lenny
At one time I had a chance to buy a very nice Yankee...asking price was $10K. For several reasons (including the fact that I didn't have $10,000 or the ability to borrow that much) I did not buy that Yankee.

Anyway, I was just thinking what is the cheapest out there today...

1962 PIPER COLT 108, 3850 TT, 1250 FNE, 26 gal, Ceconite, life time struts, all logs, NDH, $9,950. (612) 715-0598\

From what I can tell this is the cheapest flying 2 seat plane available on TaP that you don't have to put back together.

If you want a wheel on the front there is a Cessna 150 with less that 300 SMOH for $13,000 and I note that there is a Yankee listed for sale at $13,000 {1890 TTAF&E :( } as well.

Len

The Colt is a tri-gear plane also, unless it's been converted. Basically a two seat Tri-Pacer with a small engine. It'll carry a pretty good load, supposedly. At $10K, I'd be wondering if it needs new fabric and what shape the tubing is in.

Len Lanetti said:
At one time I had a chance to buy a very nice Yankee...asking price was $10K.
I did, too, and I bought it -- in 1978.

1962 PIPER COLT 108, 3850 TT, 1250 FNE, 26 gal, Ceconite, life time struts, all logs, NDH, $9,950. (612) 715-0598\

From what I can tell this is the cheapest flying 2 seat plane available on TaP that you don't have to put back together.
Where do you see that "don't have to put back together" part? This one may be all in one piece, but when did it last fly? What condition is it in? Don't see any of that.

I note that there is a Yankee listed for sale at $13,000 {1890 TTAF&E :( } as well.
Lotta years gone by for a Yankee to have less than 1900 hours...I suspect this one may be in sad shape, or at least in desperate need of an engine overhaul that will cost more than the airplane. The good news is that makes it a candidate for either the Precision Engines high compression STC which gives a highly desirable boost in performance, or the O-320 engine STC which turns it into a real pocket rocket. But either way, you'll have nearly or over $30K in it before you get it going.

Ron Levy said:
I did, too, and I bought it -- in 1978.

In '78 I didn't know the first thing about learning to fly as a civilan. I certainly couldn't spend $10K on a plane. I was in my last year working for Uncle Sam. I got out of the Air Force toward the end of '79. I ran into a friend of mine about a week after getting out of the service. He owned an auto parts store and needed counter help. The store was situated on short final to runway 29 at 3M airport in Levittown, which was operated by the Hortman family. Last I looked Herb is still operating a few of the planes that were on the rental line back then with only a few hundered hours on the tach.

Ron Levy said:
Lotta years gone by for a Yankee to have less than 1900 hours...

Agreed.

Len

I often wonder why the TaylorCraft Sportsman never sold better. Small?

Len ,I probably trained on them at Herbies and as a matter of fact I think Ron saw his old Grumman trainer at Herbs ( private owner not herbs plane) when he dropped off his Cougar last fall.

Len Lanetti said:
At one time I had a chance to buy a very nice Yankee...asking price was $10K. For several reasons (including the fact that I didn't have $10,000 or the ability to borrow that much) I did not buy that Yankee.

Anyway, I was just thinking what is the cheapest out there today...

If you want a wheel on the front there is a Cessna 150 with less that 300 SMOH for $13,000 and I note that there is a Yankee listed for sale at $13,000 {1890 TTAF&E :( } as well.

Len

The Piper Colt was made from 1961 through 1963. It was designed to out perform the C-152. The differance between the Colt and the Tri-Pacer is the Colt does not have flaps, only 2 seats and has a 108 HP engine. For a Colt that has a price of $9,950 something has to be wrong. I own half interest in one with my dad and we have it priced at $19,999. To get a good one you should be spending from $18k to $22k. These are great aircraft and a lot of fun to fly. Cost to operate is very low and it only burns 6 gph. If you want you can get a STC for Auto Fuel.

Back