Cheap Jet for sale - N106US

Insurance company must sell! Recently washed. Ask for your multi-engine-glider-sea-plane type rating!

http://www.businessinsurance.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?post_date=2009-01-16&id=15047

It would seem N106US won't fly again...not surprisingly.

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2009/01/18/nyregion/0118-PLANE_8.html
From the first quoted article:
The last total loss due to birds was in 2004 when a KLM Boeing 737 ran off the landing runway in Barcelona, after a bird strike on takeoff from Amsterdam, according to Ascend. There were no fatalities.
So what, the birds just pooped on the plane so they totaled it? No, the birds went through the engines and died!:p

And I can't imagine anyone thinking that a single incident would cause a system problem with insurance carriers. It that were possible, we'd clearly have a major problem with the insurance system.

It would be kinda neat to put that in the back yard for the kids to play in.

It would be kinda neat to put that in the back yard for the kids to play in.

My keister you and I both know who would be playing in that plane if it were in your back yard and your kids would only get a shot at it after some bearded Stay at home dad we both know were done playing in it.

Actually on that note I gotta believe the engineers are going to be Playing and studying that plane for a while before its parted out.

When my dad was in the USAF and we lived on base during the Veitnam war our base school always had an F-104 or something of the sort in the playground that we would climb in and upon. I flew may a mission over enemy territory at the mere age of 5.

A few questions or observations come to mind about the NY times photos.

1) I am amazed at how the bottom of the plane was torn up

2) The top of the plane just at the trailing edge of the wing is all bent and has a pattern mark on it. I'm wondering if this was caused by the ditching or the hoisting of the plane same with one above.

3) the Right front cargo door was open. I don't recall seeing it open after the ditch I wonder if they opened it to let the water out before the hoist.

3) the Right front cargo door was open. I don't recall seeing it open after the ditch I wonder if they opened it to let the water out before the hoist.

That was one of the first things that jumped out at me, and I made the same assumption as to why. I can't imagine they were getting the plane-side checked bags out, and the TSA probably won't let people get their checked bags without going to baggage claim.

My guesses

1) I am amazed at how the bottom of the plane was torn up
Water can be very hard at a 120-140 knots. My guess is that the landing did a lot of damage and then couple that with possibly banging around as it was dragged tot eh dock may have hurt a lot of the parts

2) The top of the plane just at the trailing edge of the wing is all bent and has a pattern mark on it. I'm wondering if this was caused by the ditching or the hoisting of the plane same with one above.
I was wondering if it also may have been related to the boats that were coming up close to pick up people. I'll bet docking to a moving plane without bumpers can cause a wee bit of damage.

I had heard that the divers opened this up to let the water drain out. The plane had to be hoisted very slowly to let water drain out. The weight of the plane filled with water was estimated to be near a million pounds in one report.

I had heard that the divers opened this up to let the water drain out. The plane had to be hoisted very slowly to let water drain out. The weight of the plane filled with water was estimated to be near a million pounds in one report.

Well thats what I had figured but was getting a chuckle at the image of the plane being hoisted out of the river and then some poor schmoe going up to open the baggage door and WHOOOOSH the entire cargo bay full of water rushing as if it were a bugs bunny cartoon.

The ice chunks in the river may have accounted for some of the belly damage.

A little bondo and a couple of new engines.... it'll be as good as new. It'll probably match nicely with the rest of the us scare fleet!

Well thats what I had figured but was getting a chuckle at the image of the plane being hoisted out of the river and then some poor schmoe going up to open the baggage door and WHOOOOSH the entire cargo bay full of water rushing as if it were a bugs bunny cartoon.

:rofl::rofl: Of course this would be the new guy, while all the veteran fire fighters stand back, point, and laugh.

Water can be very hard at a 120-140 knots.

As someone who has wiped out on a jet-ski going a mere 60 knots and broken three ribs in the process, I can attest to that! Water at speed is like freakin' concrete.

Back