Cheap iPhone??

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
I just finished my August article for Kitplanes in which I describe how to use the "carpenter's assistant" app for an iPhone as a propeller protractor for setting (a) TDC and (b) mag timing.

The problem is that I got rid of my iPhone about two years ago because I couldn't handle the $80 or so a month ATT was charging for phone connection, so I had to use the yf's phone to use in the article.

I'd sort of like to keep one of those iPhones in my toolbox strictly for engine work but don't need a new one, just one on which this app will work ... and to play blackjack every once in a while.

Is there a place other than eBay that specializes in getting rid of obsolete iPhones that might have a decent price on such a device? I believe that this app will work on iOs 4.3 and above, if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited:
Not sure what qualifies as "decent price" but I just checked craigslist for my own area and saw several iPhones for $100-150. I saw one 3GS for $40 but not sure how far along the iOS continuum that will take you. The lowest priced ones on either eBay or craigslist will probably be ones that have been reported as lost/stolen and are, therefore, bricked by the carrier under whose aegis they once operated.

Not sure what qualifies as "decent price" but I just checked craigslist for my own area and saw several iPhones for $100-150. I saw one 3GS for $40 but not sure how far along the iOS continuum that will take you. The lowest priced ones on either eBay or craigslist will probably be ones that have been reported as lost/stolen and are, therefore, bricked by the carrier under whose aegis they once operated.

I would never consider buying something that I knew was lost or stolen, but as I said, I could care less if the thing worked as a mobile phone or not. I'm very happy with my LG on Tracfone for $8 a month and triple minutes. ATT can go to #*ll for all I care and I wish they would.

Jim

You could get an ipad with cellular connection. Cellular data plan is only $20/month with Verizon or you could go without a data plan if you have wifi accessible. You can find a cheap Ipad 2 out there.

The Ipod Touch also can run all the apps as well but you would be limited to wifi connection only.

And a LOT of other carrier have the Iphone now, not just ATT

Last edited:
I've got an old iphone 3 that hasn't had a data plan for years. I don't think it even has a sim card. But I still use some of the games that were installed when it was active. Mostly, I use if for an alarm clock. If you can find someone that is going to upgrade maybe you can get them to load your app first and sell you the old phone with no sim card.

You could get an ipad with cellular connection. Cellular data plan is only $20/month with Verizon or you could go without a data plan if you have wifi accessible. You can find a cheap Ipad 2 out there.

The Ipod Touch also can run all the apps as well but you would be limited to wifi connection only.

I must not have made my point very well. Let me try again. I'm very happy with my LG/Tracfone setup for voice and data. I **ONLY** want the iPhone for this one single app, nothing more.

Thanks,

Jim

I've got an old iphone 3 that hasn't had a data plan for years. I don't think it even has a sim card. But I still use some of the games that were installed when it was active. Mostly, I use if for an alarm clock. If you can find someone that is going to upgrade maybe you can get them to load your app first and sell you the old phone with no sim card.

That is EXACTLY what I'm looking for but without much success.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim

As Shawn pointed out, the iPod Touch will probably work, and is considerably cheaper. No need for a phone plan or anything. wi-fi comes along with it, assuming you need it. loading apps uses iTunes on WinTel or Mac.

An iPod Touch (5th Gen) on Apple's refurb website is $150 and comes with the warranty.

Over on Denver craigslist (check your local list) I'm seeing iPod Touch, 4th Gen for $40.

I must not have made my point very well. Let me try again. I'm very happy with my LG/Tracfone setup for voice and data. I **ONLY** want the iPhone for this one single app, nothing more.

Thanks,

Jim

No, your point was very clear. Your understanding of how the apps work and on what you can run them on is not. MY point was that you are not limited to an Iphone to run an IOS app. Some...and by some, I mean most apps need internet access to run in which case you will need wifi or data plan. Make sure you know what kind of connectivity your app needs or if it works stand alone with no connectivity...and was giving you options other than ATT.

You can get a digital protractor on Amazon for thirty bucks that will do the same thing. Won't be able to play Blackjack on it though.

I just finished my August article for Kitplanes in which I describe how to use the "carpenter's assistant" app for an iPhone as a propeller protractor for setting (a) TDC and (b) mag timing.

The problem is that I got rid of my iPhone about two years ago because I couldn't handle the $80 or so a month ATT was charging for phone connection, so I had to use the yf's phone to use in the article.

I'd sort of like to keep one of those iPhones in my toolbox strictly for engine work but don't need a new one, just one on which this app will work ... and to play blackjack every once in a while.

Is there a place other than eBay that specializes in getting rid of obsolete iPhones that might have a decent price on such a device? I believe that this app will work on iOs 4.3 and above, if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Jim

Craigslist for a few hundred bucks.

I use H20 wireless, it uses ATTs network, 60 bucks out the door a month, unlimited talk text, good chunk of international talk and text included, 3GB data as memory serves.

You need an iPod touch. Pick one up off eBay or craigslist. It's basically an iPhone without the phone. Or get an old iPad with cellular and you can turn the cellular data on and off for $15-20 for a month should you need data temporarily for some reason.

I **HAVE**an iPad. Ever tried strapping one to the prop.

Jim

No, your point was very clear. Your understanding of how the apps work and on what you can run them on is not. MY point was that you are not limited to an Iphone to run an IOS app. Some...and by some, I mean most apps need internet access to run in which case you will need wifi or data plan. Make sure you know what kind of connectivity your app needs or if it works stand alone with no connectivity...and was giving you options other than ATT.

You are incorrect. Once the apps are on the phone, it might as well be used on Mars. If another person in the house has a iPhone and iTunes, I can load anything I want.

As to those of you suggesting that I use an iPad, try strapping one to the prop sometime.

PLEASE, PLEASE, just tell me where to find an obsolete cheap iPhone.

Thanks,

Jim

A bit off topic but I found an iphone laying in the dirt at Caples Lake a couple of weeks ago. I was on my way to my sister in laws farm in Oregon and when I got there her 21 year old nephew was passing through on his way to Alaska with his new bride. So he is kind of an iphone guru and although the phone was locked he did something like took the sim card out and put it in his phone and made a call.

Anyway it worked and he got a call back from the Mom, phone belonged to her 15 year old daughter and we got it back to her. I thought that was kinda cool.

You could try gazelle.com, but I'd just get a digital angle gauge off amazon like Silvaire suggested.

You could try gazelle.com, but I'd just get a digital angle gauge off amazon like Silvaire suggested.

Yeah, I just bought one (referred to a digital inclinometer) a few weeks ago when we were installing the flap gap kit on the 182. Works greats, seems very accurate. It's also magnetic (understand that won't help in Jim's situation),

$30 shipped.

Of course, if Jim is writing an article to instruct others how to do it using an iPhone, then this solution doesn't work for him.

Edit: never mind, I re-read the OP and see that the article is done, he just wants the app for his personal use, so the suggestion that he consider a digital inclinometer is sound.

Last edited:
You are incorrect. Once the apps are on the phone, it might as well be used on Mars. If another person in the house has a iPhone and iTunes, I can load anything I want.

As to those of you suggesting that I use an iPad, try strapping one to the prop sometime.

PLEASE, PLEASE, just tell me where to find an obsolete cheap iPhone.

Thanks,

Jim

Look at iPOD touches. If you can't find the phone like you want the iPOD mp3 player ,NOT IPAD, will most likely work.

Going back to the article Jim, I'm no longer EAA member so won't see it but using an iphone (or anything else) don't you also need a piston stop? That's like twenty bucks for one of those.

Going back to the article Jim, I'm no longer EAA member so won't see it but using an iphone (or anything else) don't you also need a piston stop? That's like twenty bucks for one of those.

many of the piston stops being sold don't even thread into the cylinder, so you could definitely pull it off with nothing but a screw driver. That said I personally prefer one that threads in as its substantially easier to be precise IMO.

Back