Cheap gas...

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
And I’m not talking about Taco Bell.

Flew to KTAD this evening to knock the rust off. Haven’t flown since the end of April. Gah!

KTAD has $3.95 S/S 100LL right now. Nice.

Wind was gusting 190@24 when I landed and 190@26 when I left but lulled nicely just for fueling activities. Can’t beat that!

I stuck 10 gallons on at home base at $4.99/gal because I’m a big chicken and our sticks aren’t super accurate at lower numbers due to the sheer size of the 80 gallons worth of tanks. It’d be nice to have a really accurate totalizer but we don’t have it, so I’m conservative on fuel.

Ended up being 50 gal of cheap cheap fuel at KTAD and had 62 left in the tanks when I put the airplane away.

Timed it so I would arrive back at APA at night and did my three landings. Two S&G, one F/S, with about a 5-8 knot direct crosswind.

Played some more with the GTN going down and flew the RNAV 21 into KTAD while VMC just to see it all behaving. Also played with the utterly useless autopilot some more. Ha. It’s so bad. I turn it on for a bit and get annoyed with it’s wing wagging and go back to hand flying. Hahaha.

Got the brain cells moving again. XC, high wind landing, crosswind night landings. Yay.

Have to be in the office all this next week due to someone else being out of town, but hoping MAYBE to start knocking out the CFII a week after next. MIGHT get it done before that written expires but not counting on it. Life goes on if I have to do another one.

Battery was definitely weak. Airplane goes in for a checkup on the nosewheel since it’s wobbling a bit (think it’s just out of balance but they’ll check bearing and other hardware just to be sure), a look at the blistering paint behind the battery drain, and a new battery.

It started at APA but was weak, and charged heavily on the way to the APA S/S. Started a little stronger at the S/S or I wouldn’t have done the flight. Started okay but not be strongest start ever at KTAD, so the battery is done for, as we predicted, this summer, and is ready to be replaced. Ammeter never really got back to centered up the whole flight so that tells me the battery has too much internal resistance. Making the alternator work harder than it should to maintain.

But I sure like that cheap gas! Not as cheap as Mogas but that’s down there for 100LL around here.

Our E0 has crept up to 3.27 recently. 100ll at the home drome is $6/gal! :eek:

Seems you had a very productive flight.

Last year we are up just over a dollar at $4.99 right now, only full service. I am friends with the FBO owner and he told me they don't make money on 100LL. said 30 cents a gallon. He said money is in the jet A. I can see why a lot of FBOs dont want piston traffic anymore. You could get rid of the 100LL infrastructure and the bottom line would go up. How about a self serve skid tank...? $80k! Gonna be hard to make that back on a 30 cent margin.

Last year we are up just over a dollar at $4.99 right now, only full service. I am friends with the FBO owner and he told me they don't make money on 100LL. said 30 cents a gallon. He said money is in the jet A. I can see why a lot of FBOs dont want piston traffic anymore. You could get rid of the 100LL infrastructure and the bottom line would go up. How about a self serve skid tank...? $80k! Gonna be hard to make that back on a 30 cent margin.

It's such a small volume niche product now. And the lead makes it much more expensive to handle through the whole distribution system.

An unleaded replacement might help, but I'm not even sure about that. Our Club has one of the three large Avgas fuel stations at our airport; we have to support the training fleet, and we sell to members with their own planes at a bit of a discount. We've been evaluating putting in a second tank for Mogas. Starting to see why Mogas hasn't caught on at airports. All the same stuff has to be in place (double wall, containment, etc as for the leaded), and the payback on investment is long unless you charge too much for the fuel. In addition it will take away from Avgas sales volumes which still have to support the infrastructure already in place.

Back when our local airport had SS for 3.50 last year, they were only paying 2.30 book price according to the manager. Now imagine the guys who were still charging 4.99 or 5.99 last year. There was profit there.

The problem is volume. Just don't sell enough of it when a single Jet A burner will come in and buy up as many gallons as they've sold all day of 100LL.

Last edited:
Just got up to Ma.and the 100 ll is averaging over a dollar a gallon more than I was paying in Florida.

Back