Cheap Garmin 430?

Dwight B. Van Zanen

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DBVZ
First, what is cheap?

Did I dream this, or did some posts on the forum indicate that used 430's were getting commonly available at low prices bacause of people doing upgrades? A 430 would be a huge upgrade for me, and I am not opposed to a used unit. IFR panel mounted, replace my #2 nav/com. Or can it replace the old VFR only LORAN that we never use?

I did a search, but did not find a thread directly on point. If someone knows where to look for one please direct me to it. Thanks.

You can get used 430's on ebay from great dealers between 5-7k

Is it reasonable to use "cheap" and "avionics" in the same sentence regarding certified gear?

Self installed? What was your total outlay to get it operational? This is more than I had understood was required. Is yours a WAAS enabled model? Thanks.

Expect it to be expensive -- you'll probably need a new comm antenna, install a GPS antenna, you'll need to buy and install a new CDI, and if you have an A/P you'll need to install a new interface to get the 430 to talk to it. I'd guess a minimum of several thousand bucks to install it (unless you fly an experimental and can do it yourself). I'm pretty sure you'll need a 337 from the FSDO as well.

for that $$....it was not waaassssss

oh contrair, ebay has them all the time......

Old 430s go for retrofit and new go into the planes

Old comes back waasified and sold.......

Or can it replace the old VFR only LORAN that we never use?
The only GPS which can directly replace (i.e., slide into the same tray) a LORAN is the UPSAT GX-55 sliding into an Apollo LORAN tray. You also have to swap the antenna (four screws and sealant). The result is VFR-only unless you install an annunciator and separate CDI (or hook it up to an existing GPS-compatible CDI) and get it certified (figure $1000 or a bit more for the IFR-isizing). Even then, it's enroute/terminal only (no approaches). That's the lowest-cost GPS solution for an aircraft with an Apollo LORAN installed.

I was flying with a fellow a few weeks back, in his Baron, and he had a couple of "new" 430s he'd just had installed. His avionics shop had called, some customer was having the 430s pulled from his plane to go upgrade to 530s. Apparently, the 430s were pretty much brand new, or virtually so. The guy just wanted the upgrade. The two were $10 K installed. However, I feel this is one of those really unusual deals, since the Baron panel needed a lot of alteration plus the antennas, etc....the shop knew my client was looking, another client was hot to get rid of his 430s, money to him was no object, and it all came together. Point is, let your avionics shop know you're looking, as well as your A&P. Mine is forever coming up with deals in which a customer wants some upgrade for a perfectly good part.

I saw a gps in a gold wing, gul wing, whatever motor-cycle today. It actually had the airport layout with runways and taxiways.... He said it did not couple ILS approches....what crap....

The only GPS which can directly replace (i.e., slide into the same tray) a LORAN is the UPSAT GX-55 sliding into an Apollo LORAN tray. You also have to swap the antenna (four screws and sealant). The result is VFR-only unless you install an annunciator and separate CDI (or hook it up to an existing GPS-compatible CDI) and get it certified (figure $1000 or a bit more for the IFR-isizing). Even then, it's enroute/terminal only (no approaches). That's the lowest-cost GPS solution for an aircraft with an Apollo LORAN installed.

I did that - best thing I ever did was get rid of the loran and put a GX-55 in its place. It still cost me a few bucks to get the antenna installed.

I was at copperstate this weekend and there was an outfit advertising 430W installed for $9,999.00.

They also said TIS worked great in the LA basin and in Phoenix - anyone use that?? What year is it supposed to be phased out??

They also said TIS worked great in the LA basin and in Phoenix - anyone use that??
I do, and it's great! Only problem is few military TRACON's have compatible equipment, and I'm surrounded by Pax River (USN) and Dover (USAF), and always hear, "Traffic not available" on the way home about 50 miles out when I leave the services of Norfolk, Philly, Atlantic City, or Potomac.

What year is it supposed to be phased out??
Didn't know a phase-out was in the works.

Are their plans to terminate TIS when ADS-B becomes mandatory?

This is from an article from AOPA in Nov 2005

"The FAA has made that clear in its response to AOPA's objection to the agency unilaterally eliminating TIS at 22 out of 129 terminal radar control facilities.
The FAA's response noted that TIS services will continue for some indefinite period at 107 sites, but 12 sites will be turned off between now and January 2008. Another 10 sites will be decommissioned by 2013, but the exact schedule has yet to be determined (see AOPA's issue brief).
But all Mode S-based TIS sites are likely to disappear over the next 10 to 15 years."

So this update is 2 years old.....may have answered my own question, but it would be nice to have current info.

Self installed? What was your total outlay to get it operational? This is more than I had understood was required. Is yours a WAAS enabled model? Thanks.

It cost about $1000. I already had a King HSI 55, and the 430 tied into that. I did all the paperwork, like the POH supplement, did the flight testing. All the shop had to do was wire in the unit and mount the antenna.

It replaced a KX 155, so there was already a COM antenna.

Admittedly, I have a great installer, who comes to the airplane. He's noted for his inexpensive installs and allows the owner to help.

Just recently it was upgraded to WAAS. That was a bunch of paperwork that he had to do and I did the flight testing. It also took a new antenna and antenna cable.

I saw the 430 prices on ebay and seriously considered one for my Cessna 140 (it wouldn't be the first to have one). The ancillary crap (gps antenna, nav antenna, com antenna, cooling fan, new VOR/LOC Indicator, annunciator, audio panel, etc.) eventually drove me away.

For the VFR money, I think a 396 and Dynon EFIS would serve me better. Yes, I've heard of field approvals for the Dynon in certified aircraft - for backup use only, of course. But I think it would look cute in the 140 panel.

M

Back