Cheap Build Kits?

Aaron Trueblood

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MontanaPilot21
Hi all, I'm only in high school but have always wanted to build a airplane. Especially with the help of my dad. I'm looking for a aircraft with:
  • average cross country performance
  • could carry at least 1 passenger and some cargo
  • cost effective
Just spitballing but if anybody could point out some cheaper aircraft to build that would be great!

Also little bit on me. I have not soloed yet but I have 30 hours and am seeking flying professionally. I love all things that fly!

Do you mean a quick build kit? I’m not familiar with a ‘cheap’ build kit. Even the cheapest of EAB kits probably aren’t your version of cheap.

Not necessarily quick build kits. I'm just looking at full aircraft kits and a motor for under $40,000. And for cross country I mean a okay range with cost efficiency.

Look for any plan built also. Takes more effort but pushes the price down.

These have had good reviews, but I in now nothing about them https://www.airplanefactory.com

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Also on top of the plane price, what is a ball park estimate for the price of tools? I have the space so that's not a problem.

Hi all, I'm only in high school but have always wanted to build a airplane. Especially with the help of my dad. I'm looking for a aircraft with:
  • average cross country performance
  • could carry at least 1 passenger and some cargo
  • cost effective
Just spitballing but if anybody could point out some cheaper aircraft to build that would be great!
Almost any of the "Fisher" aircraft

Under $40K covers a lot of ground, from kits to already-built experimentals to older factory built planes. "Average cross country performance" and "carry at least 1 passenger and some cargo" also covers a lot of ground. It can include going-places machines, bush planes, aerobatic planes, biplanes, classic lightplanes etc., etc. Best to define your mission a bit better and think about the kind of flying you want to do.

The CH-701/750 is a great slow flight/STOL aircraft and is an amazing airplane, but it's got the cross country capabilities of a 152. If a cross country LSA is a key, I'd look at the CH-650, which gets up to 120 kts. Plus the zenith kits are getting better and better with the holes match drilled at the factory. "All" you have to do is deburr the holes, apply corrosion protection and assemble, so the build times are lower.

Most of these only have a little cargo space.

But "cheaper" is relative. Realize that even the least expensive airplane is going to be over $15,000 minimum with instruments and an engine and that's for something that is borderline ultralight.

A good way to get a deal on a kit like Sonex, Zenith, Kitfox, etc. is to buy a partially completed kit from someone who has decided to stop building. Of course you need to check the workmanship, but you can frequently pick up a partially built get for 50% of the kit price alone. Also the builder may throw in tools, etc. . Also saves on your build time. This is what i did and it worked out great for me.

What Lndwarrior said. I picked up a 1/2 built RV-7A in late 2014 for about 1/3 the price of quick build and the workmanship was fantastic. I already had most of the tools (A&P) and spent the next two yrs of weekends and holidays to complete the build. Probably have 50-60k in the total project (sans paint) with a value I'd put at 90k. Also saved by purchasing a mid-time O360 from a wind damaged Piper Archer for 8k (upgraded to FI, 1 PMag and straight Vetterman exhaust for another 7k). The Sonex planes are also nice and their power plant less expensive than Lycoming/Continental. Building is fun but you can usually buy for the same or less.

If you plan for a lot of XC, like I do, speed is important. I cruise at 155-160 KTAS (178-184 MPH) on 7.5-8 GPH, which is quite economical.

Plus the zenith kits are getting better and better with the holes match drilled at the factory.
Are the new 650 kits match drilled?

Find you a partially built Sonex that you can put an AeroVee engine in. That's about as cheap as you can get and meet the stated requirements. You could build a basic RV-6 or 7 for 30k if you are willing to bargain shop and have a used engine and light avionics. An RV-4 is probably the cheapest but more involved than what you probably want as a kit plane. The best part of building an RV is the support network and resale value.

If you can find a partial RV7 or RV9 kit for the right price and finish it out with a used motor/prop and very basic panel, you'd probably be able to meet your budget and your xc requirements. And if you find good bargains on the engine and panel and do a decent job of finishing everything, you might just be able to sell it for a little more than you'll have in it which will help finance your next one. You are aware there will be a next one right? Can't build just one and call it quits.

If you're looking for two seats plus luggage, I don't think the Sonex will get the job done for you. You need more power than a VW conversion can provide to handle that load.

If you're hoping to fly professionally, you need hours in the air, not hours building an airplane. The best value that I can think of to carry two people plus stuff cheaply is a Piper Tri-Pacer. It's very much a product of the 50's, and doesn't earn much in the way of style points, but it's a very usable old airplane and they're cheap.

I think the Pacers can be a good value for a buy and keep forever airplane. As a time builder that will get resold in a few years they're a little more risky IMO. If you build your time but find out the fabric which passed last years annual just fine now needs to be redone, you'll lose your shirt on the deal from a total cost of time building point of view.

You would be better off ,buying a cheap trainer ,and start building hours.if you want s.ome experience building,find an EEA chapter that’s building an airplane ,and join in.

I _think_ the 650s are mostly match drilled, but I need to defer to someone who has built a B model. My experience was helping for a few days on a 601 and watching every 650 video I can find.

Skyreach Bushcat.....
1d02170be5938580711998cd1008bcc2.jpg

250 hour build time get your butt in the air.

Great little airplane

The December issue of Kitplanes Magazine has their annual listing of kits and plans built planes. It can be a good place to get an overview of what is available.

Back