Cheap-ass Tools

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
I have occasionally read of the debate between those who advocate buying the cheapest tool that would do the job, and top-quality tools. Having myself relied upon tools to make my living for some time (a bag full of carefully-chosen electronic and electro-mechanical equipment tools), I have always preferred buying good tools and keeping them for a long time.

My mother-in-law bought my son a handy little tool set from Taiwan ("Alltrade"), handy plastic carrying case, sundry pliers, screwdrivers, a measuring tape, hammer... and a nice, retractable-blade utility knife. I went to pull the knife out yesterday to use, and the plastic case was stronger than the "metal" knife; it crystalized into a bunch of pieces, coming free only as a barely-recognizable collection of parts.

Junk.

Attachments

• Tried to pull it out....JPG
    Tried to pull it out....JPG
    1 MB · Views: 28
  • But it got caught by the plastic....JPG
    But it got caught by the plastic....JPG
    1 MB · Views: 24
  • And it tore into a bunch of tiny pieces.JPG
    And it tore into a bunch of tiny pieces.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 27
Ahh the piece-o-crap tool set. Well sometimes ya just get what ya pay for.

As far as mechanics hand tools are concerned, if does not have a lifetime guarentee and "made in america" stamped on it then it dont go in my tool box.

AdamZ said:
Ahh the piece-o-crap tool set. Well sometimes ya just get what ya pay for.
In this case he didn't even get that. I got a set of Tiwanese wrenches for Xmas from an in-law once. They were actually stamped out of soft sheet metal!

lancefisher said:
In this case he didn't even get that.

Yeah we did; it was free. We just did not get what Grandma paid for!

===

I remember that, when I was in the training department for the world's best COM recorders (Bell & Howell), every time we had a student from Japan, they'd come with a wad of cash with which to buy a buttload of Craftsman tools at Sears; they said that they could not get tools that good in Japan.

Whatever else has changed, I have never found the quality of first-line American-manufactured tools in any foreign-manufactured tools, including those from Japan and Germany. Pay a little more, get a lot more, no question.

SCCutler said:

:rofl: :rofl: BTDT

That must be made by the same company that makes motorcycle tool kits. Put the open ended wrench on something then apply torque and it bends and starts mauling the soft metal into a round shape. Doesn't turn, loosen or hurt the bolt at all.

Not me. No way no how. I only use tools that can pass the real tools test*.

*The Real Tools Test: If the tool is incapable of breaking what you're working on without being damaged, it junk.

Buy a cheap tool twice. Even when they are free, I pass them off to someone else. And it's a false economy to buy a toll thinking you'll need it for just the one job. The very next time you'll be out buying the same tool.

SCCutler said:
My mother-in-law bought my son a handy little tool set from Taiwan ("Alltrade")

:rofl:

What is it about that brand that says "Buy me for all the little boys in your family?" I still have a set of Alltrade tools ("Lifetime guarantee!") from way back. They do pretty much suck. Most of the set is pretty well rusted despite never being exposed to anything but normal household humidity. The case is broken. The ratchet long ago quit working (Today's solution: 1. retrieve desired implement, 2. insert into vice grips :D ) and I'm less than impressed. (I buy Craftsman tools for myself.) But, I still have them, and with the exception of the ratchet, they're all still in one piece. Not pretty, but they work, so I guess they're not all bad. :dunno:

That's the stuff they have at Harbor Freight. They gave me bag where anything I put it this week would be 10% off. I decided that still way too much. If it COST 10% of what the real item costs I might go for some as disposibles.

I was amazed when I visted the Home Shopping Club outlet store at an outlet mall. EVERYTHING was like that - total crap but it was designed to LOOK ON TV like the real deal. It was like everything was made by a TV prop maker.

Last edited:
Back