Cheap and fast MEI program.

I talked to one school in Winter Haven. They quoted $12,500 with 20 hours flying and 80 hours instructor. I questioned this for a ADD ON. After asking about my number of hours, they quoted there other course at $7,900 with 12 hours flying. All in DA-42s

Looking at another school in OH that lists $4,650 with 5 training flights and check ride (airplane) for a total up to 7.8 hours. They plan on 5 days training with checkride on the 6th day

If just looking for a ME add-on, ATP can be fairly cost-effective and quick. Not all sites do add-ons, but many do, and they have a fleet of aircraft so if one is broken you can still make progress. That will give a license to learn only, which is then bolstered by working with a CFI back home in your actual 310.

After 25 years of flying, I oddly find myself possibly in need of an MEI rating.

Despite the fact that I have my own 310, I am not willing to start pulling engines in it for a checkride.

Any suggestions on where to get a cheap and fast MEI rating?

I am located in Florida, but can travel if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is silly. Fellow 310Q owner here. Right engine is at 1800 hours with zero indication that it needs to be OH’d. Left engine is at 1100 hours and the same. We do inflight shutdowns every year. We do NOT have unfeathering accumulators.

I did my MEI in my 310. There is nothing “stressful” to shutting down the right engine in flight. Start at least 3800 AGL. When you restart it, put it in a shallow dive. You will lose about 500’. I’ve done multiple shutdowns in my 310. My airplane partner and I go and practice shutdowns and manual gear extensions every year. He and I are also professional pilots.

You want to become thoroughly knowledgeable about your airplane. You don’t want your first emergency to be a training event for you. If you have the VG’s, it’s also great to see how much stability they add. I did my MEI before I added the VGs recently and we recently went and practiced again with them added. Big difference.

You should be completely fine to do your MEI in your own airplane. Go to at least 3800AGL and stay close to an airport. You’re out of everyone’s way that high. PM me with any questions. 1800 is the zero thrust RPM if you have a Q. PM me with any questions.

Also, the DPE does have to see it feathered because he has to see you do a restart.

419582e9823695728cb62132708f277c.jpg

Thank you sir. I'm slowly resigning myself to that fact. I have the accumulators and several folks have told me that is half the battle.

I just close on a 421C (partnership) yesterday too. I won't be doing any MEI training in that!

Thank you sir. I'm slowly resigning myself to that fact. I have the accumulators and several folks have told me that is half the battle.

I just close on a 421C (partnership) yesterday too. I won't be doing any MEI training in that!

If you’re close to south Houston I’ll be happy to do your MEI prep in your 310. I even have a great DPE for you.

People turn things on and off, then they break, then they think it broke because they turned it on and off. If they kept it off and never turned it on, then it wouldn’t break. :cool:

(expecting 100 likes for this post, thank you)
Doing my part. "Like"

People turn things on and off, then they break, then they think it broke because they turned it on and off. If they kept it off and never turned it on, then it wouldn’t break. :cool:

(expecting 100 likes for this post, thank you)
Speaking as a recovering IT guy...isn't turning it off and then back on how you fix things?

I can get your MEI done in 3 days with checkride using a Beechcraft Travel Air in Western KY. Give me a shout!

Back