Chataqua pilot stuck in lav, causes emergency landing

I saw that on the morning shows. Weird!

I wonder why the FAs never used the the intercom to talk to the co-pilot about what was happening?

I saw that on the morning shows. Weird!

I wonder why the FAs never used the the intercom to talk to the co-pilot about what was happening?
It was a regional....probably only one FA onboard and depending on company policy that FA may have been in the cockpit with the FO when the Captain left to use the head.

Fearless hit the nail on the head. The FA was most likely in the cockpit.
Frankly, if I was the FO and people started banging on the door and the voice was anybody other than my captain, I'd assume the worst as well.

Get it? The guy had "a thick foreign accent!"

Them furriners are always up to no good.

On the positive side, the passenger didn't get shot ...

Weird situation. In a post-9/11 world, I'm not sure I can really blame the co-pilot for acting as he did.

Hmmm.....anybody ever thought of putting a peephole in the door or a camera in the passenger compartment so the crew can SEE who's at the door? Then they would KNOW if the Captain were under any duress when HE knocked on the door to regain entry.

Mickey Mouse security does no-one any good.

No offense to Mickey

That is weird.

I HAVE somewhat of a "thick foreign accent".
I'm pretty sure I would have done the same as the FO.

Situation is weird, your captain is gone, and there's a chance something is going terrible wrong. Not the time to trust your passengers, get the plane on the ground. Then figure it out.

I'd rather be considered a raciest, then to have a regulation written after me.

Frankly those guys with thick Scottish accents scare me too!

:D I used to carry on conversations - in English - with my Korean customers to the point that my guys thought I spoke the language, but when I was introduced to a Scotsman at a trade show I couldn't understand a word he said.

The same with conferences with some of our Asian co-workers. I've had other people ask me to translate. :rolleyes:

:D I used to carry on conversations - in English - with my Korean customers to the point that my guys thought I spoke the language, but when I was introduced to a Scotsman at a trade show I couldn't understand a word he said.

The same with conferences with some of our Asian co-workers. I've had other people ask me to translate. :rolleyes:
LOL. They do have a certain cadence and accent, don't they?

I had a lot of practice listening to many differently accented professors in college, so I pick things up pretty easily. Our intro to digital design prof. was Chinese. One class, he starts talking about the "comp-a-ra-ter." We're like, WTF is he talking about? Then he draws it on the white board -- the comparator! ( i.e. does A=B )?

That is weird.

I HAVE somewhat of a "thick foreign accent".
I'm pretty sure I would have done the same as the FO.

Situation is weird, your captain is gone, and there's a chance something is going terrible wrong. Not the time to trust your passengers, get the plane on the ground. Then figure it out.

I'd rather be considered a raciest, then to have a regulation written after me.

Yeah but a thick canadian accent does not count:D

After listening to the ATC tapes it makes you wonder that the FO might have opened the door had they guy has a 'Merican accent.

Hard to say but I don't think one can jump to a conclusion and say he wouldn't open the door for a "merican" he could have said a man with a heavy southern accent or New York Accent. I could be that he was just trying to describe the individual although foreign as I insinuated above could be anything from mid eastern to French to Asian. Who knows.

Frankly, if I was the FO and people started banging on the door and the voice was anybody other than my captain, I'd assume the worst as well.

When I read the story on my wife's phone, I told her I thought the FO did exactly what he should have done. Captain leaves, then somebody starts banging on the cockpit door saying the captain needs help? Door stays shut, radio for assistance.

It was a regional....probably only one FA onboard and depending on company policy that FA may have been in the cockpit with the FO when the Captain left to use the head.

Do all airlines require a FA to be in the cabin when one of the pilots steps out to take care of business? Because, if not, what happens if the pilot in the cockpit has a stroke or heart attack while the other guy or gal is out? Any way for them to get somebody back in the cockpit?

Hard to say but I don't think one can jump to a conclusion and say he wouldn't open the door for a "merican" he could have said a man with a heavy southern accent or New York Accent. I could be that he was just trying to describe the individual although foreign as I insinuated above could be anything from mid eastern to French to Asian. Who knows.
I don't know either. I do think the FO did the right thing, at least based on what we know. I am just getting a lot of entertainment about the accent thing. In my mind the guy knocking on the door has a heavy Boston accent.

Do all airlines require a FA to be in the cabin when one of the pilots steps out to take care of business? Because, if not, what happens if the pilot in the cockpit has a stroke or heart attack while the other guy or gal is out? Any way for them to get somebody back in the cockpit?
I believe it is a 121 requirement, but not positive since I don't fly 121.

The answer to the question about accessing the cockpit if the pilot inside is incapacitated is that it depends on the airplane/cockpit door design. Most of the new designed doors cannot be opened from the cabin without a whole lot of tools on the ground. There was an airliner the past year or so where the ground crew somehow accidentally closed the door with no one inside the cockpit and I think it took an hour or two to get the door opened.

On the other hand, a few years ago in Canada, there was another story of a pilot getting locked out and being succesful in removing the door in flight.

I believe it is a 121 requirement, but not positive since I don't fly 121.

The answer to the question about accessing the cockpit if the pilot inside is incapacitated is that it depends on the airplane/cockpit door design. Most of the new designed doors cannot be opened from the cabin without a whole lot of tools on the ground. There was an airliner the past year or so where the ground crew somehow accidentally closed the door with no one inside the cockpit and I think it took an hour or two to get the door opened.

On the other hand, a few years ago in Canada, there was another story of a pilot getting locked out and being succesful in removing the door in flight.

Wait, WHAT?

I'm pretty sure I would have done exactly the same thing. A voice I don't know, not following the entry procedures I'm expecting, I'm going to be on edge. Someone knocking on that door asking me to open it, I'm finding the nearest suitable and someone with a badge to ask the questions.

Fearless hit the nail on the head. The FA was most likely in the cockpit.
Exactly that. :yesnod:

Hmmm.....anybody ever thought of putting a peephole in the door or a camera in the passenger compartment so the crew can SEE who's at the door? Then they would KNOW if the Captain were under any duress when HE knocked on the door to regain entry.

Mickey Mouse security does no-one any good.

No offense to Mickey
I've never seen a Part 25 a/c that doesn't have a peephole. All the FO would have seen through it was someone other than a crew member banging on the door. Still not a very reassuring sight
I had a lot of practice listening to many differently accented professors in college, so I pick things up pretty easily. Our intro to digital design prof. was Chinese. One class, he starts talking about the "comp-a-ra-ter." We're like, WTF is he talking about? Then he draws it on the white board -- the comparator! ( i.e. does A=B )?

Ahh yes, college chem lab. It took me half a semester to figure out what the crap an "uh-PAR-uh-tiss" is! "You assemble your apparatus now."

...Ahh yes, college chem lab. It took me half a semester to figure out what the crap an "uh-PAR-uh-tiss" is! "You assemble your apparatus now."

I had a Chinese TA in Physics. "Pee WEE Eek whahl EN ARR TEE"

Back