Chat doesn't want me tonight

Everskyward

Experimenter
Display Name

Display name:
Everskyward
I get this message when I click on "live chat" in Firefox:
tinyproxy 1.6.0
The page you requested was unavailable. The error code is listed below. In addition, the HTML file which has been configured as the page to be displayed when an error of this type was unavailable, with the error code 14 (Bad address). Please contact your administrator.Bad Request​
And in IE:

The webpage cannot be found

HTTP 400 Most likely causes:

• There might be a typing error in the address.
  • If you clicked on a link, it may be out of date.
What you can try:

bullet.png
Retype the address.

bullet.png
Go back to the previous page.

bullet.png
Go to and look for the information you want.

More information

This error (HTTP 400 Bad Request) means that Internet Explorer was able to connect to the web server, but the webpage could not be found because of a problem with the address.
For more information about HTTP errors, see Help.

Yeah, afraid it's just you.
gprellwitz
flyer
jmaynard
tdragger
Ted DuPuis
Tristar
vontresc

I'm thinking there's some sort of a network issue on your end blocking the port, since it's two different browsers. Are they set to direct connect? Have you installed some sort of sniffing software that installs itself as a proxy?

I'm thinking there's some sort of a network issue on your end blocking the port, since it's two different browsers. Are they set to direct connect? Have you installed some sort of sniffing software that installs itself as a proxy?
I'm not sure what you are saying here. I haven't installed anything new on this computer. This is a hotel connection but I haven't had any similar problems with hotel connections before and I stay in a lot of hotels. :dunno:

I'm not sure what you are saying here. I haven't installed anything new on this computer. This is a hotel connection but I haven't had any similar problems with hotel connections before and I stay in a lot of hotels. :dunno:
Sounds to me as if they have a piece of software that sits between your computer and the Internet called a proxy. For some reason they've configured their proxy in such a way that the ports that Chat needs to work aren't all working as needed. If I'm right, that would prevent you from getting to Chat. Not all hotels use the same network setup. And this is only conjecture!

Sounds to me as if they have a piece of software that sits between your computer and the Internet called a proxy. For some reason they've configured their proxy in such a way that the ports that Chat needs to work aren't all working as needed. If I'm right, that would prevent you from getting to Chat. Not all hotels use the same network setup. And this is only conjecture!

That's likely the case.

I broke down and bought an aircard a couple of years ago after a hotel I was staying at had blocked the ports needed for VPN outbound from my laptop. No more trouble. ANd no paying for wifi at airports and other places. (I've discovered that TMo blocks VPN at their hotspots unless you're running their WiFi connection manager, which takes over ALL your wifi connections - not just the TMo connections).

A lot of ISPs that serve hotels block various services. Port 25 is almost always blocked (sometimes you're not even offered their outbound mail server address), game ports and VPNs are also blocked sometimes, and sometimes it's the ports used by chat.

If you're at a hotel that offers the choice of a "private address" or a "public address", choose the public address - much less likely to be blocked.

Naw, Chat was flaky all night for me, too

Naw, Chat was flaky all night for me, too
Unrelated. Define flaky.
Mari, sounds to me like the hotel is blocking port 8080. Solution? Use a proxy.

I've thought about grabbing another IP address so that the chat server can run on port 80 but then the costs go up.

It was freezing up periodically; almost certainly unrelated, and I think I realized what was up.

Always, when something behaves differently, look to see what variable has changed. In my instance, I was using Safari instead of Firefox, and I suspect that was the culprit, as I find Safari to be buggy anyway.

Mari, sounds to me like the hotel is blocking port 8080. Solution? Use a proxy.
What would I fill in here? "No proxy" was what was checked. I also tried "Auto detect.." and that didn't work either.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 10 06.17.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 10 06.17.gif
    29.7 KB · Views: 56
What would I fill in here? "No proxy" was what was checked. I also tried "Auto detect.." and that didn't work either.

attachment.php

Mari,

You'll need a third party proxy for it to work (basically to bypass the hotel). I'm not familir with any off-hand but there are lists of them on Google--keep in mind that all your traffic will go through that proxy and if they're not trustworthy they could be intercepting your traffic.

I have had issues with some hotels blocking the port for chat. If you can VPN then you can work around it.

I could fix the problem by putting chat on its own IP address which would cost me an additional $12 per year. If someone wants it that bad--and will front that cost--I'll do it.

You'll need a third party proxy for it to work (basically to bypass the hotel). I'm not familir with any off-hand but there are lists of them on Google--keep in mind that all your traffic will go through that proxy and if they're not trustworthy they could be intercepting your traffic.
I'm only here for one more night at the most so I think I'll just not bother.

I have had issues with some hotels blocking the port for chat. If you can VPN then you can work around it.
I don't think this hotel has that option, at least I didn't notice it when I signed up for internet.

I don't think this hotel has that option, at least I didn't notice it when I signed up for internet.
A VPN aka Virtual Private Network is a secure tunnel that you build to your home network. All of your traffic would be routed through there and then passed on to you at your location. Hotels generally offer a user to VPN. Biz users would get very annoyed very quickly if they did not. A few hotels, although very rare has blocked VPN unless you pay a couple of bucks extra for the privelage. The new thing that hotels are blocking is connections to Skype as biz travelors are using that to avoid the ridiculous long distance charges that hotel charge. I cannot remember the last time I used a hotel phone for an outgoing call.

A VPN aka Virtual Private Network is a secure tunnel that you build to your home network. All of your traffic would be routed through there and then passed on to you at your location. Hotels generally offer a user to VPN. Biz users would get very annoyed very quickly if they did not. A few hotels, although very rare has blocked VPN unless you pay a couple of bucks extra for the privelage. The new thing that hotels are blocking is connections to Skype as biz travelors are using that to avoid the ridiculous long distance charges that hotel charge. I cannot remember the last time I used a hotel phone for an outgoing call.
Oh, so it's something you need to set up with your home network? Now that I am reading the internet directions on the desk I see that you can launch a VPN connection.

I never use the hotel phone either unless it's room to room. I have never tried a service like Skype, though. I just use a cell phone, either my personal one or the company's.

Oh, so it's something you need to set up with your home network? Now that I am reading the internet directions on the desk I see that you can launch a VPN connection.
Yes Mari--you have to have a VPN server to connect to. It is often used in business where you need users to access internal resources that you don't want exposed to the internet--while encrypting the traffic the entire time.

Few average home users run a VPN server.

Yes Mari--you have to have a VPN server to connect to. It is often used in business where you need users to access internal resources that you don't want exposed to the internet--while encrypting the traffic the entire time.

I understand... I think. I can get on to a couple of the computers at work remotely but I rarely do. I don't think they would appreciate me using it for chat either since there are only 2 computers to be shared among something like 25 pilots and when someone is logged on to one of the computers remotely the person actually in the office cannot get on.

I understand... I think. I can get on to a couple of the computers at work remotely but I rarely do. I don't think they would appreciate me using it for chat either since there are only 2 computers to be shared among something like 25 pilots and when someone is logged on to one of the computers remotely the person actually in the office cannot get on.
Yeah. That is sort of a similar thing--but not really--that is your companies ghetto attempt at not having to buy all you pilots laptops with the needed software installed.

Whatever works--works though.

And a static IP or a DNS service.

Oh, and I'm well above average.

There are a couple of services that provide "public" VPN services so you don't have to run one at home. These services provide security for folks using Hotspots.

Back