Chartering a plane

bigred177

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
bigred
A few friends and myself were thinking about chartering a plane and I was wondering who had the best rates. Or if there is really a difference in rates between most of them. There would probably be 6-7 of us and we're looking at taking it from Austin to Vegas for one of their 21st birthdays. I was thinking a PC-12 would be good fun, or maybe a P.180, but I don't think our pockets are deep enough for that. Not sure this will happen but it would be fin to look in to.
Thanks

A few friends and myself were thinking about chartering a plane and I was wondering who had the best rates. Or if there is really a difference in rates between most of them. There would probably be 6-7 of us and we're looking at taking it from Austin to Vegas for one of their 21st birthdays. I was thinking a PC-12 would be good fun, or maybe a P.180, but I don't think our pockets are deep enough for that. Not sure this will happen but it would be fin to look in to.
Thanks

It really varies by the operator and type of aircraft you're looking to travel on. Generally speaking, you can figure a PC12 will run you $1400/hr plus landing fees, overnights, and FET.

When looking at using an operator, it is important to do some quick research to find out how they operate (single pilot or two pilots), what type of safety equipment they have installed in the aircraft (TCAS, GPWS, etc.) and what reputation they play in the local or national charter market.

The company I work for is up in the northeast so I don't think we could help you out on a trip from Austin, but if you have any questions about other operators you find before you book a trip, please feel free to bounce them off me. PM/email works fine.

Best,
Jason

As far as rates go, you are probably better off finding someone in Austin or as close to Austin as possible since any difference in rate is going to be eclipsed by the reposition cost. Also you sometimes get what you pay for. As Jason has alluded to, some companies that have better operational practices than others.

When they see the charter quote, they will be lined up at the SWA counter like birds on a fence.
That is probably true. I have been sitting in ops when they give a quote and sometimes I can hear the person on the other end fall to the floor even though I'm not the one on the phone.

Yea, that's what I figured was going to happen anyway. It just came up in conversation and I thought I would check into it. I might do some looking just because I would like to ride in a PC-12 and might can talk everyone else into it, but we will probably end up taking Southwest anyway.

Since it's a single, the rate should be pretty cheap. My estimate for the quote is $13,500. Let us know what they actually tell you.

Yea, that's what I figured was going to happen anyway. It just came up in conversation and I thought I would check into it. I might do some looking just because I would like to ride in a PC-12 and might can talk everyone else into it, but we will probably end up taking Southwest anyway.

When I was actively flying for a 135 operation I used to field calls for quotes. The great unwashed (which does not include aviation-aware persons such as you) apparently figures that small airplanes are just naturally cheaper than big airplanes, so when I would quote something in the thousands for a trip from Seattle to the midwest they would be floored. They don't realize that, unlike an airline, there aren't any passengers at the other end signed up for a return flight so the return is non-revenue.

The outfit I worked for observed 135.101 and put a second pilot on all IFR flights, even if the PIC had the autopilot endorsement. We frequently lost business to outlaws who would fly IFR charters in single engine planes...this was in the days before you could get op specs for a single after jumping through a lot of hoops.

Bob Gardner

What's the transportation budget for this junket?

Hmmmm...let me opine that you are taking the wrong approach to this adventure...Hire a tour bus complete with bunks, shower and a driver. Show up on the strip like rock stars...you can party all the way out and cry and sleep all the way back...

Thanks

Well, I presented the price today. Looks like Southwest. I've never heard so many HOLY ****'s in my life. Seems they thought it was going to be a bit cheaper than that haha.

Hmmmm...let me opine that you are taking the wrong approach to this adventure...Hire a tour bus complete with bunks, shower and a driver. Show up on the strip like rock stars...you can party all the way out and cry and sleep all the way back...

That is an awesome idea. I like posting things on here I always get a completely different thought from someone. I will check in to that.

Kelvin has a lot of great ideas! I really like this one. If I didn't own a plane I felt compelled to use on occasion, this would be pretty high on my list too.

Best,

Dave

Well, now's the perfect time to put the pencil to it. Budget for one nice bus and driver vs 2 re-man's? John Madden's deal might work pretty well.

Kelvin has a lot of great ideas! I really like this one. If I didn't own a plane I felt compelled to use on occasion, this would be pretty high on my list too.

Best,

Dave

Well, I presented the price today. Looks like Southwest. I've never heard so many HOLY ****'s in my life. Seems they thought it was going to be a bit cheaper than that haha.
Did you actually get a price from someone? I'm curious what they said.

I just told them more than $10k and they decided it wasn't for them. I'm going up to the airport tomorrow where we have a few charter operations, I'll ask 'em.

Vegas, eh? Make sure to pay for the return trip in advance!

Well, in talking to some of the charter bus companies in the area, it seems none of them have a bus with bunks and a bathroom. The only one they have with a bathroom are the 55 passenger big ones and even then, it's only the toilet. Anyone know of a company that has a bus capable of sleeping 6-8 people with a bathroom and bar?

Plus, the rules say that a driver can only drive 10 hrs and then has to have 8 off. So we're going to need two drivers or take a day break somewhere?

Well, now's the perfect time to put the pencil to it. Budget for one nice bus and driver vs 2 re-man's? John Madden's deal might work pretty well.

I think I'm a little lost on what you're trying to say here. Re-man? and John Madden's deal?

Well, in talking to some of the charter bus companies in the area, it seems none of them have a bus with bunks and a bathroom. The only one they have with a bathroom are the 55 passenger big ones and even then, it's only the toilet. Anyone know of a company that has a bus capable of sleeping 6-8 people with a bathroom and bar?

Plus, the rules say that a driver can only drive 10 hrs and then has to have 8 off. So we're going to need two drivers or take a day break somewhere?

Maybe you can rent an RV - Somebody needs to stay sober enough to drive, though.

What you're looking for is called an "entertainer coach." I only know of one "normal" charter bus company that has one - I would try googling for entertainer coaches in your area. They probably exist, but they're probably under "Larry's Limo" or something.

Yes, you'd need 2 drivers (and you want 2 drivers!) but that'll be part of the quote. You're only paying for one at a time. ;)

This weekend at dinner I was talking with one of my friends (an 8000-hour pilot who flies a lot of different things, especially Twin Otters and King Airs). He said "A lot of people don't get that this stuff ain't cheap." There is definitely a sticker shock when you realize you can easily spend more on your plane on your house, and that's just for purchase. Your house (hopefully) doesn't have hourly operating costs in range of $100-$5000.

What you're looking for is called an "entertainer coach." I only know of one "normal" charter bus company that has one - I would try googling for entertainer coaches in your area. They probably exist, but they're probably under "Larry's Limo" or something.

Yes, you'd need 2 drivers (and you want 2 drivers!) but that'll be part of the quote. You're only paying for one at a time. ;)

Exactly....Call Hemphill Brothers in Nashville...I understand they have coaches in the DFW area.

You obviously haven't met the missus.

This weekend at dinner I was talking with one of my friends (an 8000-hour pilot who flies a lot of different things, especially Twin Otters and King Airs). He said "A lot of people don't get that this stuff ain't cheap." There is definitely a sticker shock when you realize you can easily spend more on your plane on your house, and that's just for purchase. Your house (hopefully) doesn't have hourly operating costs in range of $100-$5000.

You obviously haven't met the missus.

I was engaged. I dumped her and bought an Aztec. The Aztec has proven cheaper thus far. Plus it requires less lubrication and the heater works better.

Yeah but if you get one that oils itself....

I was engaged. I dumped her and bought an Aztec. The Aztec has proven cheaper thus far. Plus it requires less lubrication and the heater works better.

Rude, Ted. There are ladies around.

We need a "like" feature for posts like this.

They probably thought that since you're a pilot, you might have an "in". And just think how it would turn out if you did!
BIG WHEEL vs lug nut.

Back