Charter vs Flight Training: 25 NM restriction?!!

spdracer888

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
spdracer888
I have a PPL and want to rent a 172 to go from Central FL to Ft Lauderdale later this week to meet up with some friends for lunch. Since I've never flown in Southern FL and considering the potential for silly weather, I prefer to have a CFI to come along as a safety pilot. Well, I just got off the phone with the local flight school and was told that my only option is to get checkout in the plane and fly myself there, b/c anything more than 25 NM from the airport would be considered "Charter" with a CFI. I asked what about long XC? The lady said then I would have to be an enrolled student. I'm not sure if the school is Part 61 or 141 (doubt that will make a difference).

That's probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I'm not getting dropped off and I will be acting as PIC. Can anyone clarify?

Last edited:
Try to talk to the CFI. Was this from a receptionist or CFI?

Poor customer service in GA reveals itself yet again...

That's incorrect if you have your private. And you thinking to bring along a CFI for that trip is good decision making.

Are you sure whoever you talked to knew you held a pilot certificate? I'm sure it is somewhat common for an FBO to get these types of calls from non-pilots who decided part 135 charter was too expensive.

Talk to some CFIs ,most would be happy to fly a long trip with you,off the books.

Call back tomorrow and just ask to speak with a CFI regarding some training. That will get you past the front desk and you shouldn't have issues from there.

If the CFI flew along just to drop you off and to return the plane, someone could make the case that it was 'transportation', but that would be true if the flight was 5 miles, 25 or 1000.

Good idea to take a mentor pilot along for the trip, just make sure the mentor knows more about 'weather flying' than you do. Some CFIs who have trained with a local school and not done much other flying beyond that may not have the experience set you are looking for.

I don't think the person you were talking to knew what they were talking about.

I don't think a long flight with a CFI onboard could be treated as a charter flight. I did it when I went to Vegas and my ride was in excess of 25 miles from the home airport. People do it all the time, take a CFI along on a flight through unfamilliar airspace.

The only time a 25 mile (sm) limit comes into play is in 'scenic flights' under a 91.147 letter of authorization. It could well be that the secretary you talked to got that mixed up with an instructional flight.

The person you talked to must either be really confused with what you're asking for or just flat out unfamiliar with the rules. Maybe try re-phrasing the question?

The person you talked to must either be really confused with what you're asking for or just flat out unfamiliar with the rules. Maybe try re-phrasing the question?

:yeahthat:

Call back tomorrow and ask to talk to a real instructor.

I have a PPL and want to rent a 172 to go from Central FL to Ft Lauderdale later this week to meet up with some friends for lunch. Since I've never flown in Southern FL and considering the potential for silly weather, I prefer to have a CFI to come along as a safety pilot. Well, I just got off the phone with the local flight school and was told that my only option is to get checkout in the plane and fly myself there, b/c anything more than 25 NM from the airport would be considered "Charter" with a CFI. I asked what about long XC? The lady said then I would have to be an enrolled student. I'm not sure if the school is Part 61 or 141 (doubt that will make a difference).

That's probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I'm not getting dropped off and I will be acting as PIC. Can anyone clarify?

Its Florida in the summer time.. you dont want to be in clouds... Popup thunderstorms are your biggest concern, and you can fly AROUND them. There is no need for a safety pilot. Check out, Rent the plane and go.

It sounds like the school/outfit has an "in house" 25 mile rule to avoid being accused of a 135 op. I'm guessing someone down there once upon a time was busted with such a thing... I mean.. seriously... haven't we all come across some asinine house rule based on someone elses mistake or misinterpretation of rules?

I got my license in SW florida and transitioned into flying in the northeast. I'll take florida any day of the week! You don't need any fancy weather system to see a storm cell with tops at 50k ft. Worst case you land, wait an hour or so for wx to pass.

You need a CFI to fly in Southern Florida? Why? The navigation is stone simple, the body of water is either the Atlantic or the Gulf. The weather is easy too, stay out of the boomers and try not to be up in the late afternoon.

I might include a CFI for the trip only because they'll likely want a checkout that takes longer than the flight. But if you have to have a CFI the first time you fly anywhere you'll never go anywhere new.

Back