Chart SNAFUs

mkosmo

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
mkosmo
I was playing around and just realized that on the last cycle, the FAA delisted the home airport from the Houston sectional. Still on the TAC, still in the AF/D, so I figured it was a mistake. Confirmed it in several places and finally stumbled on the safety notice to put it back in the day after release :) Perhaps a mistake when removing Westheimer Airpark or something.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/safety_alerts/media/SA_EVCG_15-05.pdf

I never would have thought to check the safety alert webpage for updates (there's no NOTAM or anything), but there are quite a few out there! I imagine one could be relevant someday.

Any unusual things on the charts that have ever caught you off guard?

You do know that the chart notices get published in the AF/D (though it's a pretty horrendously slow cycle, the only thing one can say is it is faster than the chart printing cycle).

I've caught a few charting errors, but the only one I ever got close to "caught" on was the fact they changed a CTAF for a local airport. Not only was the chart WRONG there was no NOTAM. The NOTAM system is incredibly busted. I had used FSS for my briefing. When I got home I checked DUATS. There was an obtuse NOTAM that said the PCL frequency had changed (which really doesn't imply the CTAF is different). I called FSS again and asked for a briefing, this time asking for any NOTAMs at my destination and even this one was omitted.

The most humerous one was finding a VOR radial for an airway marked as 421 degrees.

You do know that the chart notices get published in the AF/D (though it's a pretty horrendously slow cycle, the only thing one can say is it is faster than the chart printing cycle).

I've caught a few charting errors, but the only one I ever got close to "caught" on was the fact they changed a CTAF for a local airport. Not only was the chart WRONG there was no NOTAM. The NOTAM system is incredibly busted. I had used FSS for my briefing. When I got home I checked DUATS. There was an obtuse NOTAM that said the PCL frequency had changed (which really doesn't imply the CTAF is different). I called FSS again and asked for a briefing, this time asking for any NOTAMs at my destination and even this one was omitted.

The most humerous one was finding a VOR radial for an airway marked as 421 degrees.

Ha:rofl:..

Probably converted to the Metric system...:rolleyes:...:D

FWIW, ForeFlight has pushed out an update with a corrected Houston chart.

Bulletin: Houston Sectional Update
Posted on October 1, 2015 by ForeFlight Data Team
A new Houston Sectional is available to download for the September 17, 2015 — March 3, 2016 period. This update adds West Houston Airport (KIWS) to the sectional and addresses an FAA Safety Alert.

All customers will be prompted to download this update inside of ForeFlight Mobile.

Back