Chart notations

Yes, but not a mandatory hold. In the case of this, the chart lets you know that this is a holding point, but only depicts a general direction for the procedure. ATC would give you the specifics (direction, leg length/times, etc.) if the hold is assigned.

Yes. A published hold is, well, a hold that's published (on an FAA chart).

Why do you ask?

Last edited:
Let's say you are approaching from the west, and are given 'expect to hold at stv', would you expect this one, or the (vastly different) one on the iap?

Let's say you are approaching from the west, and are given 'expect to hold at stv', would you expect this one, or the (vastly different) one on the iap?
It depends. I'm going to go back a little on my earlier off-the-cuff answer.

The charted hold is actually associated with V568 but holding, especially enroute holding, is based on traffic needs so it's pretty much up to what ATC is doing, so long as the airspace is protected. "As published" would tell me to hold northwest of the STV VOR on the 345° radial, 1 minute (based on altitude) with right turns. "Expect to hold" without "as published" would prompt me to ask what holding pattern to expect.

If I were concerned whether ATC meant the hold published on the en route chart or the hold from another chart, I's also ask for clarification.

Might even use my hand-dandy response saying what I would do: "We'll expect the hold northwest of Stonewall."

Last edited:
Yes, but not a mandatory hold.

What's a "mandatory hold"?

In the case of this, the chart lets you know that this is a holding point, but only depicts a general direction for the procedure. ATC would give you the specifics (direction, leg length/times, etc.) if the hold is assigned.

Because the pattern is charted ATC may omit all holding instructions except the charted holding direction and the statement "as published". The instruction would be:

"Cleared to Stonewall VORTAC, hold northwest as published, expect further clearance XXXX"

or

"Cleared to Stonewall VORTAC, hold northwest as published, no delay expected."

If you're enroute you should expect the hold on the enroute chart. If your destination is T82 you should expect the one on the IAP. If there's an expectation that you will hold at STV the controller shouldn't say "expect to hold at STV", he should just issue the hold.

He did, then the traffic cleared and no hold was required. I was planning to ask. Just wondered if there was a previously established answer. Tks

Back