Chart Fees

pwiggins

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Patrick Wiggins
Unfortunately in today's political climate this is to be expected. Too many politicians on both sides of the aisle are concerned MUCH more with being reelected than they are with doing good things for America.

With so few people affected by such fees, and with the current budgetary strain, this is a win win for our representatives. They see some money they can tap from such a small group, that it won't have a negative effect on their re election efforts.

Thanks for posting this and I will now step down off the soap box.

Doc

User fees are the new tax. They can set fees without congressional action. No new taxes.

"What about the effect on jobs? The FAA representative actually said that raising prices significantly would create jobs. His theory was that the closing down of those 'people in their basements' as a result of the data user fees would drive more business to companies."

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read.

I like paper charts. Think we will still be able to get those?

I read that article and am sorry to see that it is going to be so inane.

"What about the effect on jobs? The FAA representative actually said that raising prices significantly would create jobs. His theory was that the closing down of those 'people in their basements' as a result of the data user fees would drive more business to companies."

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read.

There concern is that the basement companies may modify charts and then they have lost quality control. They griped big time about the process of stitching charts together removing data and airspace data.

Their idea of creating jobs at the larger companies is rediculous, it's all automation, not jobs.

There concern is that the basement companies may modify charts and then they have lost quality control. They griped big time about the process of stitching charts together removing data and airspace data.

They do have a point there. That and the lack of the tables and other reference material in the books being dropped by the stitchers.

Try finding the rate of climb per nautical mile table from the chart book in Foreflight. Or even a chart legend. They added special use airspace but it's clunky -- have to tap quickly not to pull up the "add waypoint" menu and on iPad 1 it's feeling a little sluggish these days with the overlays.

Not limited to Foreflight either... It's just the one I use so I reserve the right to complain about it until they fix it. :)

Jesse and I found a number of examples of information cut off of IFR Low Enroute charts at chart borders last week. I remarked that if they'd just leave the overlap and allow us to "peel back" the chart(s) on top, that'd be fine.

Try finding the rate of climb per nautical mile table from the chart book in Foreflight. Or even a chart legend. They added special use airspace but it's clunky -- have to tap quickly not to pull up the "add waypoint" menu and on iPad 1 it's feeling a little sluggish these days with the overlays.

If you're talking about the take-off/obstacle clearance minimums, that's easy. Those pages are in the airport page under "Procedures -> Departure," exactly where I would expect them to be. Yes, you have to flip through the pages to find the appropriate airport, but you'd have to do that anyway with paper.

The missing legends on the enroute and sectional charts seems like a rather easy problem to fix, perhaps by using a "Legends" button or similar somewhere on the map page. I am surprised that this hasn't been done yet.

I do not have a problem with how FF has implemented SUA information. I'm not sure how it could be done materially better, except if there were alerts or perhaps pop-up boxes within a certain proximity to the SUA. I would like to see alerts implemented for important information.

I don't see how FF or any other moving map program could leave the legends or the margins on the original image and still make a polished, intuitive, workable moving map. They have to stitch together the maps so that there is one seamless image. If the FAA doesn't want important data in the margins to be missing, they need to quit putting important information in the margins. Perhaps the FAA needs to rethink the way they design charts (and quit worrying about "creating jobs") now that folks are moving away from print and into electronic media.

JKG

Last edited:
Back