Charlotte Class B info/advice

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
In a few weeks, I'm going IFR from Chattanooga to Concord regional, which is under the Charlotte class B. Looking at my route of flight, none of the STARs really seem to apply, and I saw all of the IFR transition routes in the AF/D, but I'm not transiting the area.

So, I was thinking of filing:

CHA HRS V54 CLT JQF

What would be my chances of getting this routing? On departure, I would expect the HUGO SIX DP. Anyone with local area info?

Bill Jennings said:
In a few weeks, I'm going IFR from Chattanooga to Concord regional, which is under the Charlotte class B. Looking at my route of flight, none of the STARs really seem to apply, and I saw all of the IFR transition routes in the AF/D, but I'm not transiting the area.

So, I was thinking of filing:

CHA HRS V54 CLT JQF

What would be my chances of getting this routing? On departure, I would expect the HUGO SIX DP. Anyone with local area info?

IIRC, coming in from the west, you can expect the SHINE arrival. You will get radar vectors somewhere north of the Charlotte airspace to keep you clear. BTDT. They let me have deviations around some thunderstorms the evening I last went in there. I'd probably file to SHINE as the fix, then the arrival. Chances are you'll get vectored somewhere near SHINE over to JQF.

The airport is nice, nice terminal/FBO. I got a rental car when I was there, it was arranged and waiting for me upon arrival. Nearest hotels were over near the interstate (Hampton Inn was nice...).

wsuffa said:
I'd probably file to SHINE as the fix, then the arrival. Chances are you'll get vectored somewhere near SHINE over to JQF.

The airport is nice, nice terminal/FBO. I got a rental car when I was there, it was arranged and waiting for me upon arrival. Nearest hotels were over near the interstate (Hampton Inn was nice...).

Bill, thanks for the advice, I'll pull out the charts tonight and check that routing.

I'm staying with my brother (lives nearby), and then we'll meet my Dad and other brothers in Greensboro for the NCAA regionals. We've been going to the regionals for years, good games and good family time.

Sometimes, if the CLT controllers are really not busy they will let you through at 5000' directly over CLT. Happened a few times for me, but not often.

I'll second Bill's comments regarding Concord. Very nice airport and great folks. Lots of Nascar hangers there too.

Last edited:
Bill,
I got the NASCR ONE arrival into VUJ shortly after I got my IFR rating. I got re-routed at LIB from V409 GANTS to V454 NASCR. I like the CLT controllers, they were very patient with me.

jdwatson said:
Bill,
I got the NASCR ONE arrival into VUJ shortly after I got my IFR rating. I got re-routed at LIB from V409 GANTS to V454 NASCR. I like the CLT controllers, they were very patient with me.

I think that's the route in from the East....

Hey Bill!,

I was based out of Concord for 3 years. send me a PM and I will be more than happy to help you with any questions on getting in and out. I am also good friends with the guys in the tower so if you'd like a tour I could set that up for ya as well they are also invaluble to know as they work with CLT appch constantly with VFR and IFR race traffic.

Back