Charleston SC suggestions?

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Heading to Greenville to pick up family and continue on to Kiawah Island for several days (just south of Charleston). Folks are telling us to drive into Charleston while we're there for food and some activities. I'll be with 2 and 6-year old Granddaughters and family; so, it would be family oriented. Charleston is adult Disney Land to me for architecture and Civil War History, but I haven't taken kids there before.

Any suggestions of places to bring the girls? We'll probably hit the beach early and late in the day to keep them from getting too much sun. Mid day or if it rains would be when we could venture around.

This will be their first trip of any distance in my plane; we'll see how they do!

Appreciate the help.

Best,

Dave

They have a nice little childrens museum, good for a rainy afternoon. Near the tourist information / bus depot compound.

A trip to Ft. Sumter. It is a nice boat ride and gives you a chance to teach kids about real history in the place where the first shots of the civil war were felt. There is a new museum near the boats, I have not been to it, but I heard it is good.

I looked forward to going to Kiawah for years, then found I had to go there to make a speech and mingle on Masters Tournament weekend which was also the only year I've had tickets to that event. So I literally flew directly over Augusta National in the 340 on my way to Kiawah, then landed just before the rain started.

It rained like a cow peeing on a flat rock for three days straight, which meant no golf for anybody and much more mingling than we really needed. I left on Monday, after paying a small fortune in bar bills for drunken Wall Street dudes and dudettes.

Hope you have better weather.

1) Horse drawn tour of old Charleston.

2) Visit the market square nestled along Market Street between Meeting and Bay street.

3) Visit the USS Yorktown

4) If you are up for a several hour road trip hit the riverfront marketplace in Savanna Georgia (It was a little over an hour by 172 from Moncks Corner to SAV). A little less from Charleston Exec/Johns Island.

5) Isle of Palms on Sullivans Island was nice too, but you will have just as much beautiful beach down on Kiawah.

6) The Cooper River bridge was rebuilt in the last decade, going from 2 lane with metal grating to a multilane interstate quality bridge. It also has a pedestrian path. If you are the hiking type, hike the bridge and take your camera.

Thats all I can think about now. If you go flying, try not to do turns on points over the two moored nuclear reactors/retired missle subs at the Charleston Naval Weapons station located up the Cooper River from North Charleston/Hanahan. The subs are used for naval reactor school now.

I looked forward to going to Kiawah for years, then found I had to go there to make a speech and mingle on Masters Tournament weekend which was also the only year I've had tickets to that event. So I literally flew directly over Augusta National in the 340 on my way to Kiawah, then landed just before the rain started.

It rained like a cow peeing on a flat rock for three days straight, which meant no golf for anybody and much more mingling than we really needed. I left on Monday, after paying a small fortune in bar bills for drunken Wall Street dudes and dudettes.

Wayne, you have some great stories and an entertaining way of presenting them. :D

Thx. I wish the ending to that one had been "but the weather moved into Kiawah, and I couldn't get there. One of the guys who was already there agreed to fill in for me on the program, so I landed in Augusta and watched the tournament. It was great, Crenshaw won."

Wayne, you have some great stories and an entertaining way of presenting them. :D

Thanks y'all. I'm passing all of this on to my Daughter. We're probably try to do the aquarium for certain. Just a matter of how much we get into Charleston. We'll fly from Greenville to Charleston Executive in the morning and see how the young ones do on the trip!

Dave

Having worked the family dairy for a while I can truly appreciate that comment. It is even more interesting when the cows feet are waist high when you're in the pit. At least it's warm.

Back